Marvelous Designer 8 - UV export

marblemarble Posts: 7,482

I'm revisiting MD8 which has been sitting on my PC for years and sadly ignored. However, I recently revived my interest after trying to do something in Blender which could probably be acheived more easily in MD even though it is an old version (I am not interested in signing up for a subscription to get the new version).

The trouble is that the MD/CLO website doesn't seem to have manuals for older versions. I have exported a garment from MD8 to DAZ Studio and used the Transfer Utility to rig it for G8F but I can't figure out how to apply the textures. In MD I am in the UV Editor screen but I can't see any way to export the UV. I should add that I am not comfortable with texturing at all so working with UV maps is a new venture for me.

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,406

Tick unified texture on export 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,482

I thought I had done that but I'll try again in the morning (it's late evening here).

I notice that later versions ave a bake option in the UV Editor but I can't find it in MD8.

edited August 31

well if it's not an option you cant use it.

if you have used Marvelous Designer 8 as a texturing software, then you have 2 options to export your textures.

1) As texture maps baked onto your UVs: on export dialogue, click unified texture when exporting, and click export textures at the bottom of the dialogue, this will bake the textures to your UV and generate texture maps. The exported obj will have the UV arrangement you set up in UV Editor

2) Use tiled texture: on export dialogue DONT click unified texture when exporting, this will export obj that uses whatever repeat settings you have set up in MD. Then you can plug your repeating texture tiles in another software (i.e., Daz Studio) and it will look the same as in MD because the tiles will have the same repeat

Post edited by lilweep on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    edited August 31

marble said:

I thought I had done that but I'll try again in the morning (it's late evening here).

I notice that later versions ave a bake option in the UV Editor but I can't find it in MD8.

IIRC, Bake Textures function had been there for a long time before MD8 was released, probably started from MD4 or MD5. An icon with a little garment + camera, can you see that on the top toolbar of UV Editor ?

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited August 31

crosswind said:

marble said:

IIRC, Bake Textures function had been there for a long time before MD8 was released, probably started from MD4 or MD5. An icon with a little garment + camera, can you see that on the top toolbar of UV Editor ?

That's the thing - I don't have that button on the toolbar (see attached screenshot). I searched through the menus but couldn't find it. I am exporting as OBJ as you suggest but I must be doing something wrong because the textures don't align wiith the garment. I'm going to try with another one. I just downloaded some free .zprj projects from ArtStatiion.

Thanks for your help.

MD_UV.png
    1402 x 711 - 60K
    Post edited by marble on

marble said:

crosswind said:

marble said:

That's the thing - I don't have that button on the toolbar (see attached screenshot). I searched through the menus but couldn't find it. I am exporting as OBJ as you suggest but I must be doing something wrong because the textures don't align wiith the garment. I'm going to try with another one. I just downloaded some free .zprj projects from ArtStatiion.

Thanks for your help.

Hmm, it's odd ~ have you tried: Reset to Default Layout ? 

SNAG-2024-9-1-012.png
    1094 x 867 - 23K

We just had this discussion in the MD thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8813616/#Comment_8813616
    Im not sure if MD8 had that option?

Just export textures from export dialogue, unless there is some life threatening reason one shouldnt do that?

sgdfgsdgd.JPG
    376 x 536 - 32K

lilweep said:

well if it's not an option you cant use it.

if you have used Marvelous Designer 8 as a texturing software, then you have 2 options to export your textures.

1) As texture maps baked onto your UVs: on export dialogue, click unified texture when exporting, and click export textures at the bottom of the dialogue, this will bake the textures to your UV and generate texture maps. The exported obj will have the UV arrangement you set up in UV Editor

2) Use tiled texture: on export dialogue DONT click unified texture when exporting, this will export obj that uses whatever repeat settings you have set up in MD. Then you can plug your repeating texture tiles in another software (i.e., Daz Studio) and it will look the same as in MD because the tiles will have the same repeat

Ahh, sorry, I missed this post ... thanks for these (and the other) explanations. I think I'm getting there slowly.

lilweep said:

We just had this discussion in the MD thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8813616/#Comment_8813616

Just export textures from export dialogue, unless there is some life threatening reason one shouldnt do that?

And I have been checking all (or combinations) of those boxes at the bottom so that might have contributed to the problem. I haven't had a prolonged period of time to play with it again but I will try later.

crosswind said:

marble said:

crosswind said:

marble said:

Thanks for your help.

Hmm, it's odd ~ have you tried: Reset to Default Layout ? 

Yes, I tried the reset. I even downloaded and re-installed MD8 (which actually fixed a couple of UI problems) but I still don't have that UV bake button. What version is your screenshot? 

marble said:

lilweep said:

And I have been checking all (or combinations) of those boxes at the bottom so that might have contributed to the problem. I haven't had a prolonged period of time to play with it again but I will try later.

To be clear, I was circling the section relevant to the discussion. Im not saying you should emulate what is ticked or unticked in the screenshot. You would need to check the relevant box for what you want to export.
    edited September 1

They're still different in terms of funtionality and applicability. This function is pretty useful for content creators esp. when they just adopt textures from MD... After assigning maps in DS, if one wants to tweak texture settings and check the effects in DS. Just quickly Bake maps to runtime\texture\... folder then Ctrl + I in DS ~~ rather than exporting everything each time.

@marble Sorry ! I know why ! We are talking about different things:  "release" / "versions" I always check version no. on its status bar, MD 8 (ver 4.x), MD 9 (ver 5.x)... yada yada ~ Starting from ver 5.x, i.e. MD 9, Bake Textures function was given. Only starting from MD 2024, release and version no. are same ~~

So, with "MD 8", you still have to "Export to OBJ + MAPS" each time.

crosswind said:

They're still different in terms of funtionality and applicability. This function is pretty useful for content creators esp. when they just adopt textures from MD... After assigning maps in DS, if one wants to tweak texture settings and check the effects in DS. Just quickly Bake maps to runtime\texture\... folder then Ctrl + I in DS ~~ rather than exporting everything each time.

@marble Sorry ! I know why ! We are talking about different things:  "release" / "versions" I always check version no. on its status bar, MD 8 (ver 4.x), MD 9 (ver 5.x)... yada yada ~ Starting from ver 5.x, i.e. MD 9, Bake Textures function was given. Only starting from MD 2024, release and version no. are same ~~

Glad that's cleared up.

Here's my MD8 Export OBJ settings (see attached). 

MD OBJ Export.png
    513 x 1102 - 60K
    edited September 1

marble said:

crosswind said:

Glad that's cleared up.

Here's my MD8 Export OBJ settings (see attached). 

That's right. If you don't need a ZIP but just OBJ + Maps to a target folder, no need to tick "Save with... (ZIP)" at the bottom ~~