Clothing commission from existing 3d model where/who to ask?

ladywolf1ladywolf1 Posts: 123
edited August 31 in The Commons

Hi, is there a group of people/website/thread in the forums dedicated to DAZ commissions?
I'd like to convert some clothing (to g8 or better g9), but I have no idea where to ask. I tried asking some people via PM in another website but none seem to accept clothes. I already have the models, from marvelousdesigner and/or blender so it's only question of porting/converting the clothes (which per se are nothing special, just shirts). I tried myself but I struggle with the joints and I really cannot learn yet another program just for a couple of items atm.

Any suggestion how to find someone? Thanks!!

Post edited by ladywolf1 on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,920
    edited August 31

You may find someone here that will do it. There are several users that will take contract work. You pretty much just advertised it so you'll see if anyone will reply to it.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,265

As the work required is pretty much the same for all similar pieces, you might wish to spend a day learning how to address the issues. [as getting conversions on a per piece could get rather expensive] There are some tools to help the process [available for sale here] however the nitty gritty is a piece by piece activity.

1. Single layer, quad mesh, welded, "no stitches" etc. "one piece"
    2. uvmapped etc.

It 'must' load into D/S exactly where you want it on the figure.
    Use the transfer utility to turn the .obj into a clothing piece.
    Save the clothing piece as "figure/prop"

Then the fun begins ;-)
    This is likely where you're running into problems with shirts -- the arms/sleeves. What are required are called partial Joint Correction morphs "pJCMs" with most figures. G9 has some different naming conventions. But the idea is the same. The existing correction morphs from the figure get projected into the clothing. Therefore the clothing needs to have its own morphs named exactly the same, these will be activated when those in the figure are. Then the shirt sleeves will look fine [or at least better than without the pJCMs].

While I have some .pdf tutorials on Renderosity [PetuniaPetals] and DeviantArt [Catherine3678ab] there are some nicely done Video tutorials specific for making clothing with M.D. over on YouTube.

https://www.deviantart.com/catherine3678ab/art/Making-pJCMs-for-Clothing-872454630

There's also a dedicated thread somewhere in the forums for making clothing for Genesis 9.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,633

If you decide to do this yourself(which I suspect will be less expensive than hiring someone), you may want to check out this product: https://www.daz3d.com/seamster

It was just on sale and will probably be on sale again before the PA sale ends.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Catherine3678ab said:

It 'must' load into D/S exactly where you want it on the figure

Ideally on the BASE, unmorphed figure. 

• Gordig said:

Catherine3678ab said:

It 'must' load into D/S exactly where you want it on the figure

Ideally on the BASE, unmorphed figure. 

For sure! 

• ladywolf1ladywolf1 Posts: 123

Catherine3678ab said:

As the work required is pretty much the same for all similar pieces, you might wish to spend a day learning how to address the issues. [as getting conversions on a per piece could get rather expensive] There are some tools to help the process [available for sale here] however the nitty gritty is a piece by piece activity.

2. uvmapped etc.

Then the fun begins ;-)
    This is likely where you're running into problems with shirts -- the arms/sleeves. What are required are called partial Joint Correction morphs "pJCMs" with most figures. G9 has some different naming conventions. But the idea is the same. The existing correction morphs from the figure get projected into the clothing. Therefore the clothing needs to have its own morphs named exactly the same, these will be activated when those in the figure are. Then the shirt sleeves will look fine [or at least better than without the pJCMs].

While I have some .pdf tutorials on Renderosity [PetuniaPetals] and DeviantArt [Catherine3678ab] there are some nicely done Video tutorials specific for making clothing with M.D. over on YouTube.

https://www.deviantart.com/catherine3678ab/art/Making-pJCMs-for-Clothing-872454630

There's also a dedicated thread somewhere in the forums for making clothing for Genesis 9.

Thank you for the reply.
    I'm getting desperate tbh. I tried learning, I tried with marvelous designer with the various tutorial around youtube but:

1) the marvelous designer interface doesn't match, I guess it got updated and A LOT of fuctions/options are now different/added/not anymore there.
    2) When I load a daz animation (to fix the pjcms as mdd file because fbx doens't work?) on a native basic marvelous deisgner shirt, the garment gets deformed BADLY in marvelous designer during simulation, thus useless.
    3) When I load a custom OBJ shirt instead, perfectly alligned on the avatar as it was designed specifically for g8/g9, the simulation freezes or explodes (not my pc's fault as I have a 4090 GPU / intel i9-13900K  3.00 GHz / 128 GB ram). 

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what :( In ALL the videos I'm watching, it looks so easy. Just export, add animation for simulation, reimport, fix creating morphs. I spent 9 hours today attempting, failing every single time resulting in the above described situations and I have no idea who to ask and how to achieve this... I only wanted convert my simple shirts/pants and use them in daz without that deformation under arms/legs T___T

edited September 1

ladywolf1 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

2. uvmapped etc.

Then the fun begins ;-)

Thank you for the reply.
    I'm getting desperate tbh. I tried learning, I tried with marvelous designer with the various tutorial around youtube but:

1) the marvelous designer interface doesn't match, I guess it got updated and A LOT of fuctions/options are now different/added/not anymore there.
    2) When I load a daz animation (to fix the pjcms as mdd file because fbx doens't work?) on a native basic marvelous deisgner shirt, the garment gets deformed BADLY in marvelous designer during simulation, thus useless.
    3) When I load a custom OBJ shirt instead, perfectly alligned on the avatar as it was designed specifically for g8/g9, the simulation freezes or explodes (not my pc's fault as I have a 4090 GPU / intel i9-13900K  3.00 GHz / 128 GB ram). 

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what :( In ALL the videos I'm watching, it looks so easy. Just export, add animation for simulation, reimport, fix creating morphs. I spent 9 hours today attempting, failing every single time resulting in the above described situations and I have no idea who to ask and how to achieve this... I only wanted convert my simple shirts/pants and use them in daz without that deformation under arms/legs T___T

Think most of us have experienced that type of frustration, hang in there. There is a way, it shall be found ;-)

Back in a few minutes.

Okay, here's the list to comb through:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPcx_LSSGfZf7IY-V263RMOkcgRdIOP1W

He has several programs and has a tutorial for making the morphs using Hexagon, Blender and Zbrush.

Morphs are made [normally] using a modeler to create the shapes, but are formed as/made into, 'morphs' in Daz Studio. [after making a morph remember to save it]

Morphs to replace the generated morphs I found to be rather tricky unless one goes through the renaming of them process while working. Not everybody does everything the same way but when I tried to follow instructions years ago they simply would not work. So that renaming method I've got in the tutorial works over here.

Daz Studio will not accept 2 morphs for the same item with exactly the same name. In order for the desired morph to kick in when the JCM of the figure is activated, it must have the same name. Once the generated morph has either been renamed [and/or deleted when no longer needed] then the new morph will work.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Catherine3678ab said:

ladywolf1 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

2. uvmapped etc.

Then the fun begins ;-)

Thank you for the reply.

Think most of us have experienced that type of frustration, hang in there. There is a way, it shall be found ;-)

Back in a few minutes.

Okay, here's the list to comb through:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPcx_LSSGfZf7IY-V263RMOkcgRdIOP1W

He has several programs and has a tutorial for making the morphs using Hexagon, Blender and Zbrush.

Morphs are made [normally] using a modeler to create the shapes, but are formed as/made into, 'morphs' in Daz Studio. [after making a morph remember to save it]

Morphs to replace the generated morphs I found to be rather tricky unless one goes through the renaming of them process while working. Not everybody does everything the same way but when I tried to follow instructions years ago they simply would not work. So that renaming method I've got in the tutorial works over here.

Daz Studio will not accept 2 morphs for the same item with exactly the same name. In order for the desired morph to kick in when the JCM of the figure is activated, it must have the same name. Once the generated morph has either been renamed [and/or deleted when no longer needed] then the new morph will work.

I'm reading thourgh all the suggestions, thank you! 

Unfortunately for now I'm sitll failing... Spend again all the day and I achieved nothing :'(
    Simulation either freezes/explodes in marvelous designer or daz with dforce. 
    If I don't apply dforce but only smoothing modifier, to rig manually, the item "breaks" and I have no idea why or how to solve it :(

rwerwerw.png
    1860 x 1418 - 645K
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    edited September 1

@ladywolf1  Just some suggestions for your reference.

1) Firstly, pls make sure you export garment from MD to OBJ by checking Weld and Thin in Export dialogue... otherwise the garment will "break" or "intersect"...
    2) For fixing pJCMs, I suggest you a no-go by simulating garment in MD with animation but just Morph Target. However, it still may not be a really good way... because a pJCM that needs a fix is usually a distortion on a partial area around the Joint... If you simulate the whole garment in MD with a Morph Target, all vertex position will change. After you import OBJ to update pJCM property, you'll get a wrong result (every part moves...). So you have to either Pin the geometry with no distorion in MD before simulation, or use the way of Attenuate By in Morph Loader Pro to only update the distorted area on the garment in DS... Though both ways work but turn out to be cumbersome ~~

So the best way is always to fix the partial distortion on pJCM with modeling / sculpting software, like Hexagon as Catherine suggested or Blender, etc.

And rigging some garments to get a good result may need proper projection template...(while the templates in DS are limited...) or you have to adjust weight, or finetune its mesh in MD or Blender then Update Base Geometry of the garment to have a perfect initial shape... before fixing anything else. Like the garment you showed in the screenshot, with wider sleeves, full neck 'n chest coverage... yada yada ~ it's just a typical one that may need more tweaking.

Post edited by crosswind on

crosswind said:

@ladywolf1  Just some suggestions for your reference.

1) Firstly, pls make sure you export garment from MD to OBJ by checking Weld and Thin in Export dialogue... otherwise the garment will "break" or "intersect"...
    2) For fixing pJCMs, I suggest you a no-go by simulating garment in MD with animation but just Morph Target. However, it still may not be a really good way... because a pJCM that needs a fix is usually a distortion on a partial area around the Joint... If you simulate the whole garment in MD with a Morph Target, all vertex position will change. After you import OBJ to update pJCM property, you'll get a wrong result (every part moves...). So you have to either Pin the geometry with no distorion in MD before simulation, or use the way of Attenuate By in Morph Loader Pro to only update the distorted area on the garment in DS... Though both ways work but turn out to be cumbersome ~~

So the best way is always to fix the partial distortion on pJCM with modeling / sculpting software, like Hexagon as Catherine suggested or Blender, etc.

And rigging some garments to get a good result may need proper projection template...(while the templates in DS are limited...) or you have to adjust weight, or finetune its mesh in MD or Blender then Update Base Geometry of the garment to have a perfect initial shape... before fixing anything else. Like the garment you showed in the screenshot, with wider sleeves, full neck 'n chest coverage... yada yada ~ it's just a typical one that may need more tweaking.

Thank you for the suggetions! I can use blender no problem, infact I'm rather sad to be able of creating 3d models (clothes included) and not being able to actually use any of them in daz :') (hence why I was asking for commissions...). But turning a 3d model into a usable one specifically for daz is way more complicated than I possibly expect... I'm beginning to want give up on using marvelous designer and yes, go fully manual for smoothing those areas, but I still get issues with either transfer utility or dfroce/smoothing modifier with any objs (even if no from mdd).
    I'm not sure I understand what's the reason of the mesh "detaching" with a smoother modifier. That happens only with the smoothing modifier added? Else works "fine" pjcms aside.

• Clothing for the Genesis clans [generally speaking] has to be one piece, for eg. pants with pockets and zipper sleeve etc must all be 'one piece' of geometry. Smoothing may show where there are gaps but those gaps need to be welded. Maybe think of it this way, if you cut out a cloth pattern for a pair of pants, how many pieces there are. Put that on. You can't. You have to sew the pieces together. Maybe some static electricity helps hold a pocket piece on but as soon as the wind blows it too will fly away ;-)

In Blender with some $ add-ons and in MD, one can design and 'sew' together some beautiful clothing pieces. Now, you maybe run simulations etc. to make those garments initially, fine. Export out that one item, as we mention, single mesh etc etc. Then park MD. In D/S make the clothing, save the clothing. Might want to clear the scene and reload the figure and clothing. [just to make sure everything is as expected]. Then lift the arm of the figure to trigger one JCM. HIDE the figure and export out the clothing .obj "no groups" for import into Blender or whatever. Fashion that armpit how you want it to look. Export the .obj back out [in Blender make sure something is ticked or not ticked [whichever] so that the vertices are not changed. We can re-arrange where the dots and lines go, we cannot change their number ;-)

In D/S garment is selected, dial OUT the generated morph AND rename it [I call them Delete this] [have to have the Parameter Tab in Edit mode to do this].

Via the Top Bar options, Edit etc. import in the new geometry via the Morph Loader Pro [or whatever it's called now] Make the morph. It will likely jump into play which is fine. Zero the morph and Save it [File > Save As ... morph asset. Save ONLY the 1 morph you've just made {this is where having the other named delete this can be helpful}.

Now, if for any reason that generated morph had been saved, then close D/S and go digging for it in the data folder to delete it. IF you did nothing to save that generated morph [we're talking about the one in the clothing NOT Genesis#] then don't worry about. As you delete the garment from the SCENE, any unsaved morphs will also vanish. Load in the new garment with its newly saved morph, put that arm back up and hopefully all is well.

Now, this laptop does not have D/S on it, this entire speech is just winging it from memory and it's quite possible it's not covering 'everything' -- hence I do recommend going through that beautiful tutorial I made because in there, I actually do all the work and record it step by step. I'm not running simulations to make pJCMs - those are wonderful for helping with pose morphs and is a whole other topic.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,406
    edited September 1

i will admit i didnt read this thread so feel free to ignore my posts.

Are you trying to make a product, or just use a garment?

Personally, if I had a garment for marvelous designer, i would just use marvelous designer, not make a Daz outfit in dForce. Seems like a total step down in quality and a complete waste of time unless you intend to make the product and sell it to recoup some of the time investment.

A simulation in Marvelous Designer will be an order of magnitude better in quality than anything in dForce.

Edit 1: And setting up conforming clothing is a nightmare because you have to add all the corrective morphs. WHy do all that garbage when you can just sim in MD? The pipeline for content creation can be quite tedious. If it was easy everyone would be a daz vendor. I would ignore some of the tutorials linked here and just watch esha's or sickleyield's videos on content creation if seriously interested in that process.

Edit 2: My process is just to use the Sagan exporter to export pose-transition animation to MD, then sim to final pose, and bring back simmed clothing to Daz.  There is a user with some youtube videos about MD to Daz process: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/601586/daz-md-and-traditional-pattern-making-graduation/p1

Post edited by lilweep on
  • lilweep said:

i will admit i didnt read this thread so feel free to ignore my posts.

... edit

Okay.

edited September 2

I combed through a number of posts to locate this free tutorial for you ladywolf1

Thought there might be some tips in there to enjoy.

The dress itself is available for a token price over at ArtStation. Link is in her YT video's comment section.

Ah, spend some more hours into this stuff and I can happily say I managed it! ^^ Thank you so much for all your help, and suggestions, I went through everything and learned really a lot! ^^ Hopefully soon I can turn this knowledge towards full projects/

I have one last question (for now i guess lol) on this subject: I can now i manage with g8... But what about g9? With g9 I used this product ( pJCM Poses - For Clothing Creators for Genesis 8 ) from the store to help renaming/know which poses were problematic.
    Is there anything similar anywhere I can buy? If not... How do I go through the g9 pjcm without sliding and rename/copy literally every one of them...? thank you!

• ElorElor Posts: 1,141

I think this one is a Genesis 9 version of the Genesis 8 product you're speaking about (by a different PA):

https://www.daz3d.com/ffs-content-creation-poses-for-genesis-9

edited September 3

Happy to hear that you were successful :-)

Every project is itself also a learning lesson so welcome to the journey :-)

And yes, the product Elor mentioned is the one for G9.

Found the forum link re: Making clothing for G9, started by Mada:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597726/genesis-9-clothing-questions-answers/p1

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,406

ladywolf1 said:

Ah, spend some more hours into this stuff and I can happily say I managed it! ^^ Thank you so much for all your help, and suggestions, I went through everything and learned really a lot! ^^ Hopefully soon I can turn this knowledge towards full projects/

I have one last question (for now i guess lol) on this subject: I can now i manage with g8... But what about g9? With g9 I used this product ( pJCM Poses - For Clothing Creators for Genesis 8 ) from the store to help renaming/know which poses were problematic.
    Is there anything similar anywhere I can buy? If not... How do I go through the g9 pjcm without sliding and rename/copy literally every one of them...? thank you!

You can also just look in the data folder for the figure JCMs to see what there is.

You are not restricting to just making JCMs for the standard pJCM poses.  You can set up JCM manually with ERC links so the JCM is driven by bone rotation rather than being driven by the autofollow projected morphs from the figure.  There may be other problematic poses than the standard pJCMs so you have freedom to make a JCM that corrects any joint rotation.

Also for G9, we are supposed to call JCMs as CBS now as 'blendshape' is more standard term in the industry.

Full dForce or Marvelous Designer simulated garments do not need JCM where they are expected to function by simulating to pose.  If you just want to use some Marvelous Designer garment from Artstation, I still maintain a lot easier to just use it in Marveous Designer than go through content creation pipeline which is a waste of time for personal renders or animations, unless you are making a product.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,274
    edited September 3

ladywolf1 said:

That was great ! One more point for your ref.

Among 100+ corrective morphs (cbs) on G9, only around 1/3 of them are frequently-used. And 50%+ of them can be "symmetrically fixed" in Blender as well as by using Mirroring and Attenuate By options in Morph Loader Pro when updating cbs. So in most of the cases, that can be a pretty quick workflow while you're getting proficient in it ~~ (Personally, I most of the time just fix 10 ~ 15 morphs, at most ~~ then with dForce capability, job's well done ~)

Then I also agree that if you make clothing with MD and just use it for yourself, you don't have to fix jcm/cbs each time, simulating it with morph targets in MD will also do (esp. when dForce lets you down...)

Good luck !

Post edited by crosswind on