Convert Morphs for Dawn S.E. to Gen 8 or 9

Hi. I have some really nice body morphs that were made for the Dawn and Dawn S.E. figure (is that what they call a 'TriAx' figure?). I'd like to convert them to be able to use them on gen 8 or 9. That figure is a completely different rigging system, I know. I'd be happy to buy any product off the shelf or follow  a tutorial. I figure the answer is probably "Can't get there from here" but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. - Banyan

Comments

• Currently there is no compatibility path between the two. There are no common UV's, no common mat zones, rigging, etc. and there's no clone for the other on either figure. It's likely possible for an advanced user with shrink wrap in a 3D program, but it's going to be a *very* manual process. Blender or ZBrush both have shrinkwrapping options. I would look for tutorials on YouTube with those keywords (blender and shrinkwrap). Blender also has a method of texture baking if you get the shapes the same. Also a very manual process. Good luck. It is a difficult path.

• Hi, might be worth adjusting the "billions" of morphs available for G8/9 to look similar to what you're desiring from the Dawn figures. Depending upon which morphs are used they might have the advantage of containing existing correction controls [if required].

I'm not aware of any conversion utilities betweent the companies' figures.

There is a slightly complex method one can do for themselves. You would need to create some "clothing" figures of the Dawns for G8/9. [everything at base resolution] You might also require some "auto-fit' clones for them. The tutorials around for making these things between the Genesis characters would have a similar work-flow between these characters too.

Basic concept: On Dawn put a "clothing figure" made from Gen8F, in Dawn dial in the desired morph [remember to have it at the base resolution],  HIDE Dawn and export out the Gen8F clothing product as .obj "no groups" ... can clear scene [depends on your computer's power etc] then load the base resolution Gen8F and use Morph Loader to bring in the shaped clothing .obj to make the morph. If you like the morph, remember to save it ;-) [always zero morphs before saving them]

Depending upon the morphs, they may or not require some additional work to play nicely with all the other figure's morphs. [such as correctives, which is why I recommend the first option]

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,523

It's definitely possible.

I've made stupider clone shapes than Dawn <-> Genesis. I'd made a clone to fit Genesis 8/9 clothing to AM's Rabbits within half a day of them coming out:

However, I'd recommend against it.

The core thing is that it's not just about transfering the base body shape, to get those morphs to work really well you would almost certainly have to make an entirely new set of joint correctives (as Catherine says).

And at that point, the question is "Well, really, are these shapes all that special compared to anything I can find natively on G8/9?"

• BanyanBanyan Posts: 26

Matt_Castle said:

And at that point, the question is "Well, really, are these shapes all that special compared to anything I can find natively on G8/9?"

No, no they are not. I just didn't know if I was looking at a mountain or a molehill. Learned some things by asking the question though, so there's that. Thanks for the answers, everyone. 

• Matt_Castle said:

It's definitely possible.

I've made stupider clone shapes than Dawn <-> Genesis. I'd made a clone to fit Genesis 8/9 clothing to AM's Rabbits within half a day of them coming out:

However, I'd recommend against it.

The core thing is that it's not just about transfering the base body shape, to get those morphs to work really well you would almost certainly have to make an entirely new set of joint correctives (as Catherine says).

Oh that picture is so funny, thanks, needed a laugh today.