Can wearable objects for G8.1 be used on G8?

Hi! I would be interested in the mermaid and merman tails of Coral 8.1 (https://www.daz3d.com/coral-81) and Zale 8.1 (https://www.daz3d.com/zale-81), but I would like to use them on a G8 character. Could you tell me if it is possible, please?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,902

It's possible, follow this tutorial.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,252

It's easy to handle geo-graft but you have no way to use Coral 81 or Zale 81 's texture maps on G8... (because of separate Body / Head texture maps...) unless you separate Torso surface on G8 or convert texture maps across G8/G81 UVs.

So, still, suggest you upgrade your G8 character to G8.1 ~~

• yuyu.atemyuyu.atem Posts: 292

Thank you very much! 

crosswind said:

It's easy to handle geo-graft but you have no way to use Coral 81 or Zale 81 's texture maps on G8... (because of separate Body / Head texture maps...) unless you separate Torso surface on G8 or convert texture maps across G8/G81 UVs.

Ah, do you mean that the tail on a G8 character will be not correcly textured? Or that the transition between the tail and the skin will be weird if I don't use the G8.1 skin? I never upgraded a G8 character to a G8.1 one yet (neither other generations). Is there a tool in DS to do that or shoud I to use wrap?

Tank you in advance!

edited September 19

yuyu.atem said:

Thank you very much! 

crosswind said:

Ah, do you mean that the tail on a G8 character will be not correcly textured? Or that the transition between the tail and the skin will be weird if I don't use the G8.1 skin? I never upgraded a G8 character to a G8.1 one yet (neither other generations). Is there a tool in DS to do that or shoud I to use wrap?

Tank you in advance!

The tail is well textured with no problem but yes... transition in between tail and Torso will be problematic ~~ as shown in SS 1 ~ 2 (Coral 8.1's Tail on V8.0) even if you have G8.1 UV Set... The simplest way is to separate Torso into Body and Head but that'll still take some time...

As for "upgrading" your G8 character to G8.1, you don't need any tool at all ! All morphs you made for G8 can be read and dialed on G8.1.

SNAG-2024-9-19-030.png
    2560 x 1392 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-9-19-031.png
    2560 x 1392 - 2M
    Post edited by crosswind on

Thank you very much! laugh 

crosswind said:

The tail is well textured with no problem but yes... transition in between tail and Torso will be problematic ~~ as shown in SS 1 ~ 2 (Coral 8.1's Tail on V8.0) even if you have G8.1 UV Set... The simplest way is to separate Torso into Body and Head but that'll still take some time...

Ah, ok, I will look at it.

As for "upgrading" your G8 character to G8.1, you don't need any tool at all ! All morphs you made for G8 can be read and dialed on G8.1.

Oh, great! I didn't know! On my character, I am using DD Keita's eyebrows and eyelashes (https://www.daz3d.com/dd-keita-for-yuzuru-8) because they perfectly correspond to what I want. Is it possible to use them on a G8.1M too?

Oh, great! I didn't know! On my character, I am using DD Keita's eyebrows and eyelashes (https://www.daz3d.com/dd-keita-for-yuzuru-8) because they perfectly correspond to what I want. Is it possible to use them on a G8.1M too?

Sure thing, no problem at all !

Great, thank you very much! Is is because they are just eyebrow and eyelashes, or can every asset for G8 (like wearable objects, skin, etc...) be used on a G8.1 character?

edited September 19

yuyu.atem said:

Great, thank you very much! Is is because they are just eyebrow and eyelashes, or can every asset for G8 (like wearable objects, skin, etc...) be used on a G8.1 character?

In general, if not across gender, yes !  It's called "backward compatibility" of G8.1 ~~ If across gender, M to F or F to M, you need to use Auto-fit with Clones.

Ah oh, thank you very much!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,902

yuyu.atem said:

Not EVERY, but certainly most. You might have a problem with, for example, G8 tattoos on a G8.1 skin, because the 8.1 skin has separate body and head surfaces while 8 only has a torso. Also, a number of script-based products and hierarchical materials won't work on the "wrong" 8.

edited September 19

As for LIE, almost all LIE will direcly work on G8.1 as G8.1 figures have G8 Legacy Template defined on their skin surface as well as G8 Base UVSet... In case there's any specific case, hold Ctrl + apply LIE preset to the selected Surface, or manual add / remove with LIE Editor will do.

As for Scripts, most of them, as far as I ever used / experienced, they check Node Name(s), so changing Node Name to G8 will do. Sti,, case by case, in case if there's specific one, let use know, we may help.

As for Hierarchical Material, as the latest G8.1 figures support multiple Aliases of G8 (defined in their DSF files), so direct applying H.Mat presets of G8 onto G8.1 will just do.

BTW, as for geo-shells, there's an easy Script in the forum (may search...) for creating G8 shell on G8.1, i.e. by adding a G8 Legacy template...

Thank you very much! laugh