Talk about performances

Hello !

To be short I have a question : do the fact that my library is full of things I don't use and is becoming really heavy affect the speed / usage of GPU during rendering ? Do I have to clean this or is it not linked ?

My everyday problem is my GPU do not have enough VRAM (8GB - NVIDIA GTX 3070) to properly run all my scenes, and half of the time I have to check back the "Allow Fallback to CPU" if I want to have a render (when it overflows, It stops rendering and I get a blank render).

I use stand kit, scene optimizer and CPU is unchecked. Plus, I delete everything I can on the scene before rendering, and my drivers and windows options are OK. When GPU works it takes 10-20minutes to render, when not it can reach 2hours long and the result is ugly. Sometimes it is on the same scene, after starting again the render. I don't uderstand how this works.

If I change my GPU I will have bottleneck, so I also need a new CPU with a new socket so I might change my motherboard too. To be frank, I'm looking for the last solution(s) before doing this, as I thought a GTX 3070 would be enough.

Am I doing something wrong ? Am I missing something in my configurations ?

Thank you for your time !

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,781

Deleteing things from the library will not help - it's only what is in your active scene that can affect the VRAM for rendering. As you have seen, things remain in VRAM after renders and other things and so sometimes you need to restart Daz if your were hovering on the edge of your VRAM usage before.

There is nothing you are missing as such - it's just that 8GB is not "enough" for your anymore and so you will have to use other techniques to make the most use of what you have. I am not familiar with Stand Kit but Scene Optimiser is good to use. There is Camera View Optimiser although it seems that won't help if you are already deleting unused items from the scene manually before rendering. However, in addition to what you are already doing, you can try using Instances, Billboards, Resource Saver Shaders, reducing SubD (where applicable), using low-poly items in the background, hiding some items while rendering the main scene and then unhiding and spot-rendering that thing and compositing the scene afterwards. Not all of these will suit all situations so you'll need to pick the most appropriate for what you have in your scene.

• Thank you SofaCitizen, this is exactly the answer I needed! I will take a look at your tools and know that nothing more will be helpfull :)