How do you place a plane directly in front of the camera?

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301

How do you place a plane directly in front of the camera?

This is a weird question, but I thought I would ask it. Someone smarter than me can figure it out.

I want a plane to exactly fit without being even a tiny fraction off in front of my camera.

When I zero the camera then I parent a plane to it and rotate the plane 90 degrees on the X axis the plane ends up behind the lens of the camera.

When I put the plane into the scene it seems the plane has every measurement, but pixels and one can only make a square plane. The plane must be adjusted after it is created. And the surface of the plane does not accurately account for the camera's depth distortions.  

You increase and decrease the size of the plane by percentage points on the x and y parameters not in pixels. And when you move the plane ahead -z to be in front of the lens it is by a numerical value but that value is not stated and the numerical value of the actual distance of the camera lens' distance from zero is not precisely given.

For my purpose the plane must fit precisely in the camera's field of vision.

And then there is field of vision, what is the camera’s dept of field and is the camera's vision somehow distorted?

If I were to render a depth map it would not align with the camera’s point of view and the math and geometry to do this seems too abstract and complex for my mind to figure out.

This becomes vital if the image on the plane were to be a transparency of the scene. The distortions and inaccuracy of math becomes readily visible in the overlay.

The surface on the plane must have exact congruence with the camera lens.

Layering a depth map transparency can easily be done post work in Photoshop but I have alwasy wondered if it could be done pre-render.

Post edited by RexRed on