DAZ Studio has become DAZilla

I am having a nightmare with DAZ Studio. My days are plagued with random crashes. Mostly they are Access violations, the occasional breakpoint crash and unexplained closures while trying to pose even though I'm using low amounts of VRAM. For example, a scene I was working on just crashed and I was using 1.5gb of VRAM, my card has 12gb. So it is not a memory issue. It's at the point DAZ is virtually unuseable and I am frustrated beyond belief. I updated my graphics drivers, runtime, and every thing I can imagine.

I've contacted techsupport, and sent a heap of log files, but no solution has worked. My latest log file is attached.

My GPU is a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

OS is Windows 11 pro

I'm using a i7-14700 with 32gb RAM

Any help would be appreciated.

txt
txt
log.txt
1M

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,781

I don't know anything specific but you tested for issues with your RAM and maybe HardDrive?  I don't know if MemTest86 is still a thing but back in the day you could make sure your RAM was good by burning that to a CDROM and running it for a while. No idea what the modern alternative now that most machines don't have CD drives anymore is. Maybe also a good idea to run a filesystem check on your Hard Drive too.

Possibly off topic but it's probably not a good idea to be mixing both Daz Connect and other install methods - especially when you running Daz Connect within OneDrive. Might be personal bias but OneDrive on my PC was constantly moving stuff from my hard drive to the cloud (instead of copying it) so I had to kill it. If that is happening to you it might be causing some issues with accessing files that suddenly disappear?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,269

For most of the crash cases, DS log won't help at all. Windows crash dump files may help to some extent...

Anyway, I used to have the very similar issue like yours... Normally this sort of issue has nothing to do with your graphics card / VRAM but just RAM ~~ So, what's the brand and model of your motherboard ?

Firstly, try this trick which worked for me: Restart your PC and access to BIOS of your motherboard, check if there's a setteing related to XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles), if it's turned on, just turn it off. Save BIOS with this change. After PC is restarted, try to check if the issue is gone or not...

• SofaCitizen said:

I don't know anything specific but you tested for issues with your RAM and maybe HardDrive?  I don't know if MemTest86 is still a thing but back in the day you could make sure your RAM was good by burning that to a CDROM and running it for a while. No idea what the modern alternative now that most machines don't have CD drives anymore is. Maybe also a good idea to run a filesystem check on your Hard Drive too.

Possibly off topic but it's probably not a good idea to be mixing both Daz Connect and other install methods - especially when you running Daz Connect within OneDrive. Might be personal bias but OneDrive on my PC was constantly moving stuff from my hard drive to the cloud (instead of copying it) so I had to kill it. If that is happening to you it might be causing some issues with accessing files that suddenly disappear?

Hi thanks for the reply. I have done Memtests and I only use one install method, DIM. I have tested my drives. Onedrive caused me a mountain of issues and I have disabled it which stopped a lot of crashes but now these new ones are happening. The Access Violations are the worst.

• crosswind said:

For most of the crash cases, DS log won't help at all. Windows crash dump files may help to some extent...

Anyway, I used to have the very similar issue like yours... Normally this sort of issue has nothing to do with your graphics card / VRAM but just RAM ~~ So, what's the brand and model of your motherboard ?

Firstly, try this trick which worked for me: Restart your PC and access to BIOS of your motherboard, check if there's a setteing related to XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles), if it's turned on, just turn it off. Save BIOS with this change. After PC is restarted, try to check if the issue is gone or not...

Hi, thanks for the reply. My CPU, RAM and motherboard are only five months old. My GPU is less than 12months old as well.  The XMP is a new solution no one has suggested before. I'll give that a try and see how it goes. Thanks.

bryanLwest said:

Hi thanks for the reply. I have done Memtests and I only use one install method, DIM. I have tested my drives. Onedrive caused me a mountain of issues and I have disabled it which stopped a lot of crashes but now these new ones are happening. The Access Violations are the worst.

Your log file shows that you do use Daz Connect (atleast to install dForce Dynasty Attire for Genesis 9) - see references to "OneDrive\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud" in the log. However, if you have disabled OneDrive then this shouldn't be related I don't think. Using both install methods can lead to products being installed twice and sometimes causes products to not load into the scene correctly, but I don't think it would cause the crashes and access violations you are seeing. Hopefully Crosswind's solution will fix it for you.

• SofaCitizen said:

bryanLwest said:

Your log file shows that you do use Daz Connect (atleast to install dForce Dynasty Attire for Genesis 9) - see references to "OneDrive\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud" in the log. However, if you have disabled OneDrive then this shouldn't be related I don't think. Using both install methods can lead to products being installed twice and sometimes causes products to not load into the scene correctly, but I don't think it would cause the crashes and access violations you are seeing. Hopefully Crosswind's solution will fix it for you.

Oh ok, I don't ever remember using DAZ connect. I don't even know how to do it. Very odd. I'll re-install my library again and see how that goes. I really don't remember ever using DAZ connect but its tehre so I must have. Thank you for picking that up and hopefully the re-install will work.

I have the XMP option in my BIOS, but it wasn't used. I have disabled it anyway. So thanks to Crosswind. 

bryanLwest said:

Oh ok, I don't ever remember using DAZ connect. I don't even know how to do it. Very odd. I'll re-install my library again and see how that goes. I really don't remember ever using DAZ connect but its tehre so I must have. Thank you for picking that up and hopefully the re-install will work.

I have the XMP option in my BIOS, but it wasn't used. I have disabled it anyway. So thanks to Crosswind.

Daz Connect is basially installing stuff within Daz Studio itself - i.e. if you see "greyed out" products and you double-click (or right-click install I think) and then it slowly fills in with colour. If you don't plan on using it then it's best to stay completely logged out of your account within Daz Studio itself. Using Daz Connect was previously the only reason to ever log into your account within the Daz Studio application although I think some of the recent updates may have changed that? If you do decide to do that tho I would advise checking that cloud folder and specifically uninstalling (within Daz Studio) any products that you have installed that way, then logging out of your account in Daz Studio (so you are always "Working Offline"), reboot Daz Studio just to be sure, and then install (or reinstall) all products in DIM that previously had Daz Connect (cloud) installs. This is because any product that is installed by Daz Connect "supercedes" products installed by other methods and so if you had it installed by both methods before then DIM one will probably not work correctly until this is done.

On another topic, I have seen that you are using OutOfTouch Hair so it might be the TransmittedColor issue affecting you if one of those hairs is not fully updated? If you take the steps above to remove all Daz Connect installs then when you are re-installing DIM products make sure you also re-install one OOT hair product that has been recently updated. This is because it will put a fixed version of the shared file in your library that should solve that issue for all OOT hairs. If you don't do the above steps first and/or are still having trouble with a crashing scene check the surface of the hair to make sure it does not have an image in TransmittedColour.

See this post about a lone Daz Connect install of an older hair causing issues: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7988201/#Comment_7988201

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301
    edited September 27

It sounds to me like library installation issues. Too many library listings. This can cause Daz to get "confused" when accessing related assets. 

It took me a month of reading the forums to learn about IM library directory locations and reinstall Daz Studio and content numerous times until I learned the proper way to set up Daz and its various content libraries and folders.

Daz will crash all on its own (usually when under load), but it should not happen constantly.  

If it is crashing all the time, it is not seeing your content paths in the right way. I call it a "fractured installation".

When you first install Daz, the IM tries to “forcibly” install content in default locations and then when you change this location to a secondary drive location, vital "starter" content can get fractured.

You must completely uninstall Daz and delete "all" folders and reinstall and reinstall until you are sure you get the content folders right and there is no library duplication or most importantly, "fracturing" happening during the install process. . 

Then it will work, for the most part, flawlessly. If you are confused about content locations, so is Daz.

If it was XMP, Windows 11 would crash too.

Post edited by RexRed on
  • bryanLwestbryanLwest Posts: 10
    edited September 28

Thanks everyone.

Sofacitizen I am aware of the OOT issue. Thank you though. I'm not currently using those products in my renders but I am aware of them. Please share with me your opinion on my problem below.

RexRed I wish I had read your post earlier. I have deleted the library and just finished reinstalling it to a new drive. It seems to have solved my issues so far. However, now I have a new issue, expression poses aren't working and my expression parameters seem to have disappeared. DAZ Studio is a very frustrating program. The old installation was in the default location. So are you suggesting I will still have problems using a secondary location now and should install the library back to the default location to get it to work properly?

Post edited by bryanLwest on
  • It seems even a reinstall of the library isn't enough to keep DAZ happy. Another Access Violation, I have attached the logs from the error report

zip
    zip
    DAZStudio_error_report_240929-030254.zip

I've never heard of or experienced DS crash cases just because of different Daz Lib location or path... so for this case, neither reinstalling Library nor DS may help.

XMP setting is especially related to the crash case when Posing a figure since you ever mentioned in your OP ( when trying to pose, DS crashed...) A few folks in the forum ever experienced such an issue, after turning off XMP, everything is fine. Well, as you've check it, XMP is not the culprit, so let's go for trouble-shooting case by case ~~

From the crashdump, the issue relates to DzCore.dll and seems a memory pointer issue in RAM address. Can you clearly explain that, for this crash, what were you doing when the crash occured ? And what products / assets are in your scene ? Or you may attach your scene file down below if possible...

• crosswind said:

From the crashdump, the issue relates to DzCore.dll and seems a memory pointer issue in RAM address. Can you clearly explain that, for this crash, what were you doing when the crash occured ? And what products / assets are in your scene ? Or you may attach your scene file down below if possible...

Hi Crosswind, thanks for your help. 

At the time I had made parts of a character invisible and I was turning her back to visible when it crashed.

The environment was - FG Mystic Alehouse

The character was - Kat for Gen 9, wearing medieval base dress and overskirt, Late Summer Bangs style Hair, Natalie Makeup Lip Gloss. She is pretty basic, I hadn't even applied any parameters. I can't remember what pose I used for her. There was no facial pose as expressions aren't working on DAZ Studio for me.

Other characters in the scene were RY Brion (wearing parts of the Dynasty Attire Outfit) and TMA Kade (wearing parts of the Royal Lines outfit). 

I'm pretty sure I have attached the right duff file.

4working.duf.png
    91 x 91 - 16K

I see no DUF file attached...

• Ah bugger, wrong file sorry, try that again.

Any idea on the expression problem as it has me dead in the water. At least I could persevere before but now I can't do anything.

duf
    duf
    4working.duf
    2M

Okay, I manipulated your scene for a while, by hide/unhide figures / joints, Wearables, etc., so far so good ~ It's not a heavy scene but you may dbl-check and do somthing as below:

0) Update Nvidia driver to the latest Studio Driver version (561.09). Download and install GPU-Z, open it.

1) Relaunch Daz Studio, press F2, Clear DSON Cache Files. Load the scene, check System Memory Used in GPU-Z panel (screenshot 1)... If it's approaching to 32GB, add more Virtual Memory in your Win11 advanced system settings. Restart your PC, and test your scene again.

2) As for Expressions, select Kat character, in Parameters pane, go to Pose Controls > Head  > Mouth, see if you can find G9 FACS expression properties... (screenshot 2). If you can find them, try dialing some properties. If you cannot find them, go to DIM, Installed tab, locate Genesis 9 Starter Essentials package, RMB-click to Show Installed Files... see if FACS related DSF files are well installed. (screenshot 3). But if you meant you couldn't find the expression properties from some Expression products, you need to firstly check if those products have been correctly installed to your current Library.

SNAG-2024-9-29-000.png
    2560 x 1392 - 3M
    SNAG-2024-9-29-002.png
    2560 x 1392 - 3M
    SNAG-2024-9-29-003.png
    1242 x 972 - 200K
  • crosswind said:

Okay, I manipulated your scene for a while, by hide/unhide figures / joints, Wearables, etc., so far so good ~ It's not a heavy scene but you may dbl-check and do somthing as below:

0) Update Nvidia driver to the latest Studio Driver version (561.09). Download and install GPU-Z, open it.

1) Relaunch Daz Studio, press F2, Clear DSON Cache Files. Load the scene, check System Memory Used in GPU-Z panel (screenshot 1)... If it's approaching to 32GB, add more Virtual Memory in your Win11 advanced system settings. Restart your PC, and test your scene again.

2) As for Expressions, select Kat character, in Parameters pane, go to Pose Controls > Head  > Mouth, see if you can find G9 FACS expression properties... (screenshot 2). If you can find them, try dialing some properties. If you cannot find them, go to DIM, Installed tab, locate Genesis 9 Starter Essentials package, RMB-click to Show Installed Files... see if FACS related DSF files are well installed. (screenshot 3). But if you meant you couldn't find the expression properties from some Expression products, you need to firstly check if those products have been correctly installed to your current Library.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I have GPU Z and the first thing I do is driver updates. I'll double check I have the latest drivers again.

2. Awesome, some new stuff in there for me to check out thank you for that. That will keep me busy for a bit checking all that out. I appreciate your help.

Thanks