What Room Is This?

onimushaonimusha Posts: 194
edited September 27 in The Commons

Wondering what room was used in this promo image. I wish DAZ required assets used to be listed for all promo images. It would probably get me to spend a lot more money here.

https://www.daz3d.com/home-sweet-home--serenity-16k-hdris

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• ZiconZicon Posts: 272

The room is one of the HDRIs in the product.

• onimushaonimusha Posts: 194

Wait, the room comes with the product? I thought it was just lighting. Maybe I'm confused about what an HDRI is. Thanks for pointing that out, I appreciate it.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,297

onimusha said:

Wait, the room comes with the product? I thought it was just lighting. Maybe I'm confused about what an HDRI is. Thanks for pointing that out, I appreciate it.

The room is part of the HDRI. HDRI are images that give off light.

So there's no "room" as a model, but if you switch "dome on" in render settings, the image of the room will be visible. If you switch it off, only the light will be there. 

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 407
    edited September 27

onimusha said:

I was super confused about this for like the first six months I started using Studio, especially since High Dynamic Range Image does not QUITE mean the same thing in the photography world that it does in the Studio world.

Like Joanna said, it's a big image that gives off light. Some of them may also be "backdrop" images, like these are; others are pure lighting, no backdrop to speak of; some of them give off light in such specific ways and directions that you get different lighting effects on your scene if you use dome rotation (Futuris night scenes, which I use a lot, are especially notable for this, they cast reds and greens and purples across your set); others have extremely even, omnidirectional lighting.

The figures in the images for that product are posed in front of a flat backdrop*, in other words, and done so very sneakily so that it almost looks like they are standing in a real set (a 'three-dimensional' set, but none of this is really three-dimensional, now is it?) I can tell they're not, which is why I very seldom use HDRI backdrops for this purpose.

*OK, fine, a curved dome backdrop, but I can still tell.

Post edited by columbine on
  • onimushaonimusha Posts: 194

Wow, I am so confused. Thanks for the info though. I appreciate everyone trying to explain it.

I should probably not have stopped to do this but I could not resist. Apologies to all, unless it is helpful to you, in which case, I regret nothing.

(Not gonna put these inline. Click the attachments to read them.)

trilby1.jpg
    1008 x 1008 - 694K
    trilby2.jpg
    1008 x 1008 - 281K
    trilby3.jpg
    1008 x 1008 - 717K
  • An HDRI is an economical way of seeming to havea  complex environment. As columbine says, it is wrapped around a virtual sphere enclosing the scene and when rendering Iray treats each point on the sphere as a light source with the colour and intensity of the image at that point, instead of having to send real light paths through the scene to bounce off mdoelled objects to build up an approximation to the corect colour. The iamges need to by high dynamic range to cover the range of possible light values, a standard 8 or 16 bit per channel image wouldn't do much.

You can use primitives to stand in for parts of the scene (e.g. a cylinder for one of the colums there) with the Advanced Iray node Proeprties script applied and Iray matte turned on so that it catches shadows and reflections, and hides things thata re behind it, but doesn't itself cast shadows or reflect or appear in the render. A good HDRI, with the ground on (or with a matted promitive) should give shadows.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071

Maybe it looks confusing because the HDRI was created from a 3D environment with 3D props, and not a real environment.  But, it begs the question, what 3D environment did the creator use to create their HDRI?

• Seven193 said:

Maybe it looks confusing because the HDRI was created from a 3D environment with 3D props, and not a real environment.  But, it begs the question, what 3D environment did the creator use to create their HDRI?

No, those are most likely photos. DT has a very nice camera setup and has been taking real world photos for HDRIs for years. 

edited September 27

Seven193 said:

Nah, I'm thinking those are real-world photos.

EDIT: And CC said the same while I was sitting on this unsubmitted post. oops. oh well.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,939

columbine said:

I should probably not have stopped to do this but I could not resist. Apologies to all, unless it is helpful to you, in which case, I regret nothing.

One minor correction - your character actually IS casting a shadow, but they don't fall in the same direction as the ones in the photo backing, appearing only on the parts of the shadowcatcher directly beneath her so they're only visible in the areas directly underneath her shoes.  Indoor HDRs can be really weird.

Cybersox said:

columbine said:

One minor correction - your character actually IS casting a shadow, but they don't fall in the same direction as the ones in the photo backing, appearing only on the parts of the shadowcatcher directly beneath her so they're only visible in the areas directly underneath her shoes.  Indoor HDRs can be really weird.

Interesting. I'd have said there was nothing to catch her shadow under her because there is no floor/ground plane present in the scene. But since I agree that HDRs can be really weird, I'm not gonna stake my life on it.

• columbine said:

Cybersox said:

columbine said:

Interesting. I'd have said there was nothing to catch her shadow under her because there is no floor/ground plane present in the scene. But since I agree that HDRs can be really weird, I'm not gonna stake my life on it.

The ground plane in Studio is like a fake invisible floor that can catch shadows. It can be turned on/off in the Environment pane. (Side-note: If trying to render from below ground with the ground-plane 'on', it'll render blank).

edited September 28

Silent Winter said:

The ground plane in Studio is like a fake invisible floor that can catch shadows. It can be turned on/off in the Environment pane. (Side-note: If trying to render from below ground with the ground-plane 'on', it'll render blank).

I'm aware of the ground plane. I THOUGHT it was turned off for those renders. It's almost always turned off, unless I forget. I find it a pain in the ass. :P

That said, Cybersox is right, because now that I look at the images again, hours later (and less distracted by the day's activities), I see there is a shadow under the front figure's shoes. It's barely there but it's definitely not part of the HDRI backdrop. So maybe I didn't turn off the ground plane because SOMETHING is catching those shadows. --shrug--

This is all pretty far afield of the original post. I don't know how it is I derail threads so much. Sorry, y'all.

• columbine said:

Silent Winter said:

I'm aware of the ground plane. I THOUGHT it was turned off for those renders. It's almost always turned off, unless I forget. I find it a pain in the ass. :P

That said, Cybersox is right, because now that I look at the images again, hours later (and less distracted by the day's activities), I see there is a shadow under the front figure's shoes. It's barely there but it's definitely not part of the HDRI backdrop. So maybe I didn't turn off the ground plane because SOMETHING is catching those shadows. --shrug--

This is all pretty far afield of the original post. I don't know how it is I derail threads so much. Sorry, y'all.

I have it turned off by default on mine, but some HDRIs, at least those intended to be used like these ones, turn it back on when loaded. 

• MoreTNMoreTN Posts: 267

Thanks to the OP for the question that prompted such a good summary of some features of HDRIs, which I've never got into because they seem tricky to use well. At least now I have a few tips.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,939

columbine said:

Silent Winter said:

Hey, the only reason I noticed those shadows is becasuse I've lost track of how many times I've caught them in my own images while in mid-render or after the fact, so checking for them now has become an ingrained habit.     

• Fenris9Fenris9 Posts: 58

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the Home Sweet Home product referred to above? I purchased the 'Home Sweet Home - Tranquility 16k HDRIs' pack today and when I load the various HDRIs none of them seem to be scaled to Daz3D figures (like Cake and Bob's HDRIs are). Am I doing smething wrong? The figure appears to be 6 inches high in comparison wwith the surrounding HDRI environment. I wondered if there was a parameter for scaling the HDRI dome but don't see it (and surely it should load correctly anyway).

• Fenris9Fenris9 Posts: 58
    edited September 29

As far as I can see the issue seems to be the HDRI Dome is set to 'infinite sphere', so if you zoom out the figure gets smaller but the HDRI enironment doesn't. Conversely this is not the case with Cake & Bob's domes (as an example) the difference seems to be these are set to 'finite with ground'. However, when I use this setting with the Home Sweet Home HDRIs there are additional scaling parameters that I can't get to rectify the distortion in this mode.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Post edited by Fenris9 on