Are there electronic pose dolls that allow you to extract its current pose onto a computer?

I'm new to Daz3D, and one of the areas I find most cumbersome is pose creation. I'm into creating fights, so the poses are more contrived than typical everyday poses such as standing, sitting or conversing with another person. This makes the posing just much more problematic.

Then, I saw this YouTube video of manga creators using pose dolls to use as reference for drawing their characters, and thought we could do this, but even better, because the pose can be electronically transferred to Daz3D -- which is impossible with mangas in which you draw everything. Posing a mannequin which is physical should be a lot easier than posing a 3D figure that's projected onto a 2D screen.

I looked online for such a product, but couldn't find any. Am I the first person who thought of this? Or am I missing something?

Comments

• It is an idea that has been floated from time to time. One obvious issue is that different figures have different bone set-ups, so that is potentially a pretty expensive bit of kit with a limited usability.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,269
    edited September 29

You don't have to need that sort of doll at all ~ We always have better and more efficient pipelines if you're still not satisfied with those Posing tools in DS.

For instance, if you know Blender, export figures to Blender with Diffeomorphic Daz Importer, rig them with MHX and manipulate them with IKs. Doing so in Blender is much better and faster than in DS. Then export as Pose Presets and apply them to the figures in DS. This is a totally free way.

Alternatively, an even better way, use Cascadeur (physics and AI-assited)... but that'll cost you some money ~~

Post edited by crosswind on
  • eeyuneeyun Posts: 22

There was the Qumarion https://www.designboom.com/technology/qumarion-3d-cgi-animation-using-physical-mannequin/ - but I think it only existed in Japan for a short time around 2012.

You can go straight from a refence image to an OpenPose ControlNet - a kind of rigged stick figure that AI image generators can use as input. I think Blender has a way to use OpenPose to pose a rigged humanoid model. It seems like an obvious link into Daz Studio too (like PoseMyArt - but both ways) but .... <crickets>