SimTenero - Iray Memory Assistant [Commercial]

124»

Comments

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 456
    Deveras said:

I would like to see an update for this utility, it worked prior to daz 4.9+.... Now it says I'm in the hole for VRAM, but scenes load and render just fine. Now, I am confused when a scene doesn't render and falls to CPU... I can't rely on this info to find out what's causing the problem. As a result, I go back to square one... which is check the logfile. unfortutnately I can't ask for a refund, because I've had it for more than 30 days. And I was hoping to see if the author did an update to fix this...

If you could submit a support ticket regarding this problem maybe it will light a fire and help get an update to what can be a very useful utility.

• I am not sure if other complaints about VRAM are related to my problem but I figured out that the tool does not account for the situation when you have multiple GPUs installed but not all are enabled for rendering. I have a small 2GB card which is used for displays only and larger cards dedicated for rendering. The tool always bases its estimates on the low memroy card which is not involved. It is a great idea but falls short in being helpful. I will look into getting a refund since I only bought it a few days ago.

• johnjohn808johnjohn808 Posts: 159

I know this is an old thread, but has these bugs been fixed yet?  I`d like to purchase. 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,418

Does anyone still use this?

I'm confused by the data it is spitting out.

1. What exactly is sysRAM and how do i have 41GB of it?
    2. I assume it's not recognising my RTX2080TI (which has 11GB of VRAM) - but even so, if I add up all of the highlighted VRAM estimates, I get 10,160.64‬MB, not 9402.16 MB.  So the mathematics on the 'Potential VRAM shortage' seems a bit random too.
    IrayMemoryAssistant.JPG
    700 x 618 - 60K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 24,017

It is old. It has not been updated. I recommend that you return it.

Is there anything similar or we just have to use GPU-Z?

lilweep said:

Is there anything similar or we just have to use GPU-Z?

I use GPU-Z. I don't know of any predictive tool to tell you in advance whether a scene will fit in GpU memory.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

I use the render window history, it tells you the memory it uses for each step. When iray starts rendering, click on the history button. It also shows you the moment it fails and goes to CPU.

edited May 2020
    Paintbox said:

I use the render window history, it tells you the memory it uses for each step. When iray starts rendering, click on the history button. It also shows you the moment it fails and goes to CPU.

I find that really hard to read & interpret.

Also if I go over my VRAM, the render seems to either freeze completely and i need to restart my PC unless i want to wait like an hour or more to load scene.  

What i am currently doing is loading scenes piece-by-piece and monitoring the memory use in GPU-Z to see when it is approaching 10-11GB memory limit.  I find it a lot easier for my retarded brain to understand than the data Daz gives.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • amysparklesamysparkles Posts: 99
    edited September 2021

I just purchased the Iray Memory Assistant as I thought it would be incredibly useful. I had been searching for a utility that allows me to view estimated VRam and System Ram useage in a scene before rendering for quite some time.

However, when I tried the memory assistant out, it gave really strange results. So far as I can tell, my GPU information is listed correctly in the SysInfo Tab, but the available System Ram is completely wrong. Not only that, but the number changes each time I close and reopen Daz Studio.

For my first test, I loaded a simple G3 character with hair and clothing and ran the script to see what it says. While the estimates it gives for Face, SubD and Texture consumption seem reasonable, the two results at the bottom were completely inaccurate. The assistant told me I had a Potential VRam shortage of -275.06 and Estimated System Ram remaining as 22,643.90! This is ludicrous because I know full well that my computer is more than capable of rendering such a scene in GPU. I am not even sure where the Assistant pulled those numbers from, because surely all it has to do is add up the VRam consumption for the SubD, Faces and Textures and then subtract that total from the GPU VRAM.... Or am I wrong?

As a second test, I closed Daz Studio and then reopened to an empty scene. Even then, the assistant told me I had a potential VRam shortage! My Available System Ram was again, wrong. In fact, this number changed every time I restarted Daz Studio. Sometimes my SysRam was 22, sometimes 24, sometimes 13, sometimes 12. All of which are wrong. I actually have 16GB of Ram.

SO, while the Assistant seems to be giving reasonable answers for the individual memory consumptions of the Faces, SubD and Textures, it is not adding them up correctly.

I am using Daz Studio 4.15.

Post edited by amysparkles on

Return it. Submit a help request and ask for a refund. Daz Customer Service will be happy to help. You have 30 days from date of purchase to return it and get your money back.

(It is just too inaccurate to be useful, in my opinion. I also tried it log ago and returned if for reasons similar to what you are describing. If you read through this thread, you  will probably see some of my questions and complaints.)

edited September 2021

amysparkles said:

I just purchased the Iray Memory Assistant as I thought it would be incredibly useful. I had been searching for a utility that allows me to view estimated VRam and System Ram useage in a scene before rendering for quite some time.

However, when I tried the memory assistant out, it gave really strange results. So far as I can tell, my GPU information is listed correctly in the SysInfo Tab, but the available System Ram is completely wrong. Not only that, but the number changes each time I close and reopen Daz Studio.

For my first test, I loaded a simple G3 character with hair and clothing and ran the script to see what it says. While the estimates it gives for Face, SubD and Texture consumption seem reasonable, the two results at the bottom were completely inaccurate. The assistant told me I had a Potential VRam shortage of -275.06 and Estimated System Ram remaining as 22,643.90! This is ludicrous because I know full well that my computer is more than capable of rendering such a scene in GPU. I am not even sure where the Assistant pulled those numbers from, because surely all it has to do is add up the VRam consumption for the SubD, Faces and Textures and then subtract that total from the GPU VRAM.... Or am I wrong?

As a second test, I closed Daz Studio and then reopened to an empty scene. Even then, the assistant told me I had a potential VRam shortage! My Available System Ram was again, wrong. In fact, this number changed every time I restarted Daz Studio. Sometimes my SysRam was 22, sometimes 24, sometimes 13, sometimes 12. All of which are wrong. I actually have 16GB of Ram.

SO, while the Assistant seems to be giving reasonable answers for the individual memory consumptions of the Faces, SubD and Textures, it is not adding them up correctly.

I am using Daz Studio 4.15.

Scrolling up, you will see i had some complaints about this product.

With that said, I still use it a lot because it does still have some utility in reporting a VRAM usage value that I can interpret.  Even though the "potential shortage" value is wrong (because it doesnt read my gfx card), i can still infer the VRAM useage.

Post edited by lilweep on