Moving FIles

Lonnie DudeLonnie Dude Posts: 45
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I had a hard drive that was about to die so i moved everything from that drive to the new one. i set the D|S preferences to the new location and now D|S is having trouble opening the files. it's taking an unusually long time. What is D|S looking for, and is there anything i can do to help speed things along and get my files opened. Also, can i point D|S to where i normally keep my scenes. It opens to where the program is located, or does D|S have to"learn" on it's own where my scenes are kept?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

mrothello said:
    I had a hard drive that was about to die so i moved everything from that drive to the new one. i set the D|S preferences to the new location and now D|S is having trouble opening the files. it's taking an unusually long time. What is D|S looking for, and is there anything i can do to help speed things along and get my files opened. Also, can i point D|S to where i normally keep my scenes. It opens to where the program is located, or does D|S have to"learn" on it's own where my scenes are kept?

You don't say what version of DS you are using, but for .DAZ scene files, DS relies on the 'data' folder to load the geometry. Are the files opening correctly, or are there parts missing? Are they DAZ scene files or the new .DUF format? What version of DS are you using?

Scene files will appear inside DS if they are in a DS Content or My Library folder.

• Lonnie DudeLonnie Dude Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

I'm using D |S 4.5., but all the scenes were in 4.0 or whatever the previous version was. Sometimes objects are missing and other times the scenes just won't open. The progress bar shows 50% or so and the just hangs like D|S is searching for something. I usually have to shut D|S down because it stops responding after so many minutes.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Please have a look at the Log File, Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File.

If you get a lot of errors with 'Cannot find file for storable.....', then DS4.5 cannot find your data folder. You will need to go the preferences and list the path to folder that holds the data folder, so that DS can find them.

If you need any more help, post again.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DS saves DATA for scene files in the TOP listed DS folder, But can read them from other folders. As long as Your OLD top folder is Listed as a DS format folder it should read. MY DS3 content is My second folder in DS4.5 and 4.5 reads my 3 scene files without trouble.