Help Please! New Computer, DAZ is Being Stubborn

DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
edited September 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello,

I just got a brand new computer yesterday. I have all of my DAZ content on an external drive (drive F) I have always used. Well I was having trouble getting DAZ 3.2.1 64-bit on my computer so I decided to run it straight from my F drive, even though it's the 32 bit version.

Well DAZ works and loads, but now none of my scenes are loading correctly. As I understand it I have to preload everything that is in the scene and save it to a new file, so other files to read them correctly are created on a new computer. That's fine, I get that, even if it is stupidly time consuming.

What I *don't* get, and I'm worried about because I do character art, is that NONE of my characters have their morphs saved! It makes no sense. I loaded M4 up with *all*of his morphs and saved him in a new file so he'd load correctly. Well, he loaded in my character scene but my characters don't look like themselves!

Please help >.> I never recall having this particular problem in the past.

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on

Comments

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

Second Edit: Okay, I can't say none of my characters saved correctly because at least one did, with all of his morphs. I don't recall if I used other M4 characters and/or morphs in my other own characters but, I guess that might be the problem? If so though I have no idea how to 'fix' it.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Well DAZ works and loads, but now none of my scenes are loading correctly. As I understand it I have to preload everything that is in the scene and save it to a new file, so other files to read them correctly are created on a new computer. That’s fine, I get that, even if it is stupidly time consuming.

The only reason for reloading everything that was in a saved scene, is because the 'data' folder is missing, and loading these itmes again in another 'dummy' scene, will re-populate the data folder. Have you looked for the data folder? It is lost forever, if so, then re-populating the data folder is the only way to get them to open again. You MUST keep a copy of the data folder for previously saved scenes to open. The newer scene format in DS 4.5, .DUF, saves in a different way, but that is not much help to you.

What I *don’t* get, and I’m worried about because I do character art, is that NONE of my characters have their morphs saved! It makes no sense. I loaded M4 up with *all*of his morphs and saved him in a new file so he’d load correctly. Well, he loaded in my character scene but my characters don’t look like themselves!

It is a long time since I used DS3, but as I recall, you need to APPLY the morphs to the character in question, not just load them, that way they will save in the new data folder, and the old scene file should open correctly.

Make sure that your new data folder is backed up, or you will have to do it all again. In DS3, the data folder is kept in the first path listed as a DAZ Studio Format folder in Preferences. When recreating these scenes, there is no need to pose or position the characters. You just need to create a new scene file with the correct characters and props in it, with the appropriate morphs. The scene file contains all of the other info needed.

I hope that helps a bit?