Problems replicating character - missing components

tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I am trying to replicate the bonny lad advertising the Duke Hair advert.

I have bought what seems like the entire Kids suite.
Kids4
Duke Hair
DarlingBoy
MarkG4K (though this cannot be found anywhere once installed)
Vintage Boy (though I cannot load the blue shirt)
etc.
See picture 1 for the one I am trying to replicate for looks and CLOTHING espescially.

Then when I render the image I get these strange blue pyramids showing on the end product - What are they and how do I get rid of them?

Country_Lad.jpg
848 x 865 - 117K
duke-hair-large.jpg
500 x 650 - 93K

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

Those are Handles for posing the clothing with. Select the items and open Surfaces and turn them off with Opacity or if they list in the Scene tab for the expanded item turn them off with the eye.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited September 2012

Go to the pose folder and select the icon to hide/show the handles.
    If you want shirt to be blue, you must load the default shirt from figures and apply the blue texture in the pose folder.
    As for "Mark", the vendor "GypsyAngel" uses what I call a "vanity mark" and character is in poses under GA-Mark and GA-Mark-NS.
    You can rename the folder to something that works for you without affecting function.

Image2.jpg
    600 x 402 - 25K
    Post edited by Medzin on
  • MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited September 2012

I understand you are having some difficulty, but part is because you are trying to step in at a higher level and avoiding learning the fundamentals.
    Maybe some analogy helping. I'm not having the computer background, but I try to learn. Every book on programming seems to have first program as "Hello world!". It is not elegant, but such are necessary. You do not skip the "hello world!" part and go directly to database design.

You also have the added difficulty of using older content that was not primarily intended for Daz Studio. DS 1.0 was released in late 2005. For quite a while, content had been made primarily for Poser (which was introduced in 1995). There was much demand for features that Poser did not have yet, so within the Poser community some people developed workarounds. Technically, these were not supported, but some became de facto standards. For that reason, there still exists a confusing relationship between certain types of files. Poser does have material files that were introduced in Poser 5 (2003) but many still cling to the MAT pose format. I do not have time to explain all what appear to be inconsistent.

At this point, you have a choice of proceeding in an unstructured manner or learning about 3D Art concepts in general and how they are implemented in various applications.

While I write this, I am making scene with the other hand. I taking K4 in outfit you mention and put V4 in scene with him. You see he is quite happy because his mommy is taking him somewhere, maybe shopping or to the zoo.

I regret we have some difficulty communicating in both time and language. I am in GMT -7 and english is not my native language.

Post edited by Medzin on
  • tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

I have done exactly as you said - I reinstalled the vintage boy again and the items are in the folders you mention.

I eventually got them to work - what no-one said is that you need to select the cloting in the Surface Selection Tool and then apply the Materials by double clicking on them.

It was a human interface issue.

OK so thanks for that - the only thing which remains is to get the face like the one in the top picture. I've tweaked and diddled but nowhere near.
    I need more practise in face modelling.

At the moment the nearest I can get is the bottom picture...

Thanks
    Terry

Mark1.jpg
    1378 x 652 - 168K
    Post edited by tdrd on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited September 2012

I eventually got them to work - what no-one said is that you need to select the cloting in the Surface Selection Tool and then apply the Materials by double clicking on them.

You don't need the surface selection tool at all. You just need to select the clothing in the Scene tab, not the Surfaces tab, and then apply the clothing via the Pose file.

The only time that you need to select the item in the Scene tab AND the Surfaces tab, is to apply a shader.

Any time that you get the error message 'This action requires an item within the scene to be selected', you are trying to add a texture without have the item loaded first. If you have 'something' selected in the scene tab, then you wont get that error message, but the texture will not be applied if it is not the correct item.

OK so thanks for that - the only thing which remains is to get the face like the one in the top picture. I’ve tweaked and diddled but nowhere near.
    I need more practise in face modelling.

The promo image is just the standard face, no modelling or morphs required that I can see. The most important part of the image is the lighting, and the camera angle, but mostly the lighting. You should have a look at lighting sets in the store for DS, some of them are very reasonable, and there are free ones on ShareCG as well. Lighting is a difficult subject, and it can take a long time to master.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on