Help with custom tower for daz

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I'm looking into getting a new tower to finally run Daz again (after the update it couldn't handle it anymore). I sort of want to buy it custom to get what I need, without having to go though Best Buy.

http://www.lycomputers.com/Thermaltake-SopranoRS-Custom-Built-Desktop-Computer_p_168.html

That's the tower I want to use and under it, you can custom build it to how you wish. I'm not sure what I need to make sure it works.

Like, what's the highest Memory Ram should I get? How much GHz should it be? (Someone said to get the 8-core, but i"m not sure if the GHz was high enough or not)

Just look though the things to pick form and see if you can help me out in how to build this tower.

Comments

• aminrougeaminrouge Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have 16 gb of ram and i use i7 3Ghz and daz is running good just when i try to create a big scene like adding a lot of props,figures...ect but that is normal daz the problem not the hardware.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I have the intel i7 chip as well, 3.4 GHz, Quad core, 8 threads. And I just bought another 8GB RAM to increase to 16GB. That is the most that Windows 7 Home Premium can use. It should be ample. I haven't had any problems so far with scenes or rendering, but I don't do very large scenes.

I have had my PC now for nearly 2 years, but if I was buying one now, I would go for 32 GB, and a higher version of Win 7 to be able to use it, and the best processor that I could afford.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Any more people? I really need someone that knows their stuff with computers.

I hear different things that I need, and it confuses me. How much Memory Ram do I need? I heard 8 was the most that I needed and people say other stuff. And just being told to get as much Memory as I can get. Do I REALLY need 32 when 4 is the highest they recommend in the first place?

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

The question would rather be how much you want to spend and if you only use the built in render engine and how big are your scenes and do you use many memory hungry apps while working/rendering

At least you should buy a quadcore with 8gigs memory. When you build up a PC you must know your needs and what you want to pay and may be make some concessions because it could be very expensive

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

I like to do extraordinarily large scenes. 8 GB of RAM is minimum in my book these days anyway. If you can afford it 16GB is nice because then you have plenty of room (while rendering) to run iTunes, surf, etc. I usually reserve one of my processors for just that purpose. ;)

Here's an tutorial (roughly) on how to use the /affinity command line tools to launch DAZ Studio with a specific number of CPUs :) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/768/#7298

• aminrougeaminrouge Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Alright;don't panic...i will tell what ever you need.....
    when i first used daz 4.5 i had 2 gb of ram and pentium 4 3.2Ghz multicore processor,than i brought i7 and 16 gb of ram to my windows xp pro,it doesn't change a lot of things just a little faster with rendering and animating.....you don't need to have the highest and big price hardware to run daz....i used 4 gb of ram and i2 core and it was the same thing with my current hardware.......i am not using those for daz only,the reason that let me to buy all of this is my 8 years old twin brothers who wanted to play modern warfare 3,resident evil 6,black ops 2 and a lot of high graphics games,it's funny isn't it?
    if you don't have money,it is normal because i am broke right now,hihihi...isn"t this funny too?you can always start with the classics then upgrade to the highest but if you have money i will recommand you to get 8 gb of ram or more,i5 or higher.
    if you have more questions just ask,we all here for help.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

There's a law in 3D graphics that the more you have of a thing the less things change (Blinn's law). So when you go up to 8 GB of RAM you'll start adding more and more stuff to your scene and get back to the point where you'd want to add stuff but can't because of the, new, memory limits. An increase in memory is much cheaper than an increase in CPU speed, so I'd indeed get the most out of the RAM (16+) and get a good but not highest-tier CPU.