Is there a way to move the centre of an prop?

WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have made a prop, but the centre is off to one side.

Is there a way to move the centre of an prop please?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Do you want it moved permanently, Or just for one use?

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Permantly, as I want to give these away as freebies.

edited December 1969

Okay, Do you have Hexagon installed? It's free right now. I use it for this type stuff.

edited December 1969

Yes I do, but I don't use it, I use Silo.

edited December 1969

I use Hex because of the Send To Bridge. But it should work in Silo also. Save out your Prop in WaveFront Object format. Load it into Silo,I'm guessing from this point, in Hex I re-set the Center Axis by Hand and then Save again. When loaded back into DS it's fixed.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited September 2012

in Daz Studio?

If Yes then yes with the Joint Editor Tool is what you want. It can be found under tools. When engaged your translation markers/handles will change. Then you can manually move the red and green points to where you want the new centre to be with the mouse. Best to use the Orthographic cameras to reposition

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    in Daz Studio?

If Yes then yes with the Joint Editor Tool is what you want. It can be found under tools. When engage your translation markers/handles will change. Then you can manually move the red and green points to where you want the new centre to be with the mouse. Best to use the Orthographic cameras to reposition

I like this method Szark. But for a Prop that might be used in DS or Poser I prefer to move the objects files origin in a modeler. That way I know its a permanent part of the saved object file.
    edited December 1969

Oh granted Jad too true but I do like it for the "quick fix" as that is all I use it for.

edited December 1969

Thank you both, will give it a try.

edited December 1969

But if you only want to use it in Daz then my approach is pemanent when saved as a DUF scene file (I just checked) so it saves having to send it to Hex or Silo etc. :P :)

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    in Daz Studio?

If Yes then yes with the Joint Editor Tool is what you want. It can be found under tools. When engaged your translation markers/handles will change. Then you can manually move the red and green points to where you want the new centre to be with the mouse. Best to use the Orthographic cameras to reposition

I thought this was possible in Studio, but I couldn't recall how to do it. Great tip, many thanks.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    But if you only want to use it in Daz then my approach is pemanent when saved as a DUF scene file (I just checked) so it saves having to send it to Hex or Silo etc. :P :)
    Support Asset for Prop Szark? Still new to 4.5 not sure about which is which yet.
    edited December 1969

BRB

edited December 1969

I reloaded it into Silo, reset the centre, exported it out again. Re-exported into DS4 and the centre is still off.

What am I doing wrong?

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Szark said:
    Support Asset for Prop Szark? Still new to 4.5 not sure about which is which yet.Just a plain old Scene file Jad which is now DUF. No need to use the Support Asset saving as the Centre Point remained. But not that knowledgable about the Surrort Assets saving function I cannot say for sure. All I know is that saving it as a scene file worked. :)
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    I reloaded it into Silo, reset the centre, exported it out again. Re-exported into DS4 and the centre is still off.

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry I can't help with Silo or Hex. But if this is for personal use then use the Joint Editor Tool. If you have trouble post away as I have made some screenshots a while back to show how to use it.
    edited December 1969

Okky dokky, I save scene files all the time. Thanks.

edited December 1969

The objects I have made are for a freebie so I want to save them properly. No good saving as a scene file or using Joint editor.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:

What am I doing wrong?

Hmm.. I'm with Szark, never used Silo. No idea.
  • Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

...but if you use the joint editor and save as an asset that should carry over for the users of your freebie if you are using DAZ's internal content creation gizmos. I would have though...?

edited September 2012

Okay, Here is what I do and it works in the Object files when I use Hexagon.

Step one: Export Multi Selected object as a Daz Scale WaveFront Object file. Clear scene
    Step two: Import New object file into DS at DAZ defaults. That is Image #1 as you see the Axis is at bottom not the Center. I want it centered.
    Step three: Send To Hexagon, once Object is selected the Axis SHOWS centered for the Object, That is miss leading. Look at it and you will see the bottom of the object is still at the Wolrd Base. I move the object down so the axis lines up with the World base Axis lines. That's Image #2. I now save this as the Object File with Scale set to 1 and Unit of file set to cm. That's Image #4.
    Step four: I import the new object into DS, that's Image #3. As you see the Axis is now centered in the object.

P.S. Watch your Save settings in Hex, You might not WANT flip textures selected.

Center_Object-2.png
    359 x 589 - 71K
    Center_Object-3.png
    561 x 750 - 270K
    Center_Object-1.png
    422 x 689 - 207K
    Center_Object.png
    314 x 626 - 74K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited May 2022

Redacted

edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Did you read the link I provided? There's a script to fix it in DS.
    Move Origin only works for THAT use of the Item in DS. cridgit. I have it and use it for temp fixes on items. The OP want's the origin to be FIXed for all users at all times.
    edited May 2022

Redacted

edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Jaderail said:
    cridgit said:
    Did you read the link I provided? There's a script to fix it in DS.
    Move Origin only works for THAT use of the Item in DS. cridgit. I have it and use it for temp fixes on items. The OP want's the origin to be FIXed for all users at all times.

But if you apply the script then export the OBJ - wouldn't that work?Nope, I tried it. All the script is doing is off setting the Origin, the True origin is still written into the object so the off set is ignored at export.
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail, I followed your instructions and altered it in Silo as you explained. Brought it back into DS4 and it works OK now.

Thanks for taking the time to show me how to do that.:-)