How to re-install DAZ Studio 4 Pro

kenmokenmo Posts: 906
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I just replaced my 320 GB system disk with a 240 GB SSD. My DAZ content is stored on 1TB sata drive and backed up to an external drive. I also have DAZ Content Database folder which contains files ContentDB.blb, ContentDB.dat, ContentDB.ind, ContentDB.vdb, master.vdb

During the install of DAZ onto my new SSD I did point the install to the 1TB (ie: G:\DAZ_CONTENT)

I also noticed after the reinstall there was no DATABASE folder on my SSD drive in path C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases

So I copied my backed up DATA|BASE folder to this location....

However when I now launch DAZ Studio Pro 4 I don't have any of my content listed in content window... This is very annoying as I had all of my assets categorized. And now nothing is listed....

Any help is appreciated...

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,755
    edited December 1969

Try Adam's tutorial on migrating the database, though I'm not sure it will help after the fact. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5639/

• kenmokenmo Posts: 906
    edited December 1969

I really wish DAZ & Poser would simplify how content is stored. Why make it so complicated?

Why not follow a simple method like e-onsoftware's Vue? Re-installing Vue on a new hard drive and moving content over is quite easy and doesn't cause one's blood level to rise...

It's the arcane content management of DAZ & Poser I find to be the biggest turn off with these two product...

edited December 1969

Also correct me if I'm wrong but do not some of the DAZ content also right files to the "C:\Program Files\DAZStudio" folders?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Used to/old installers...that used to be the location long before Windows Vista so content packaged back then without being updated will probably want to go there. The change was sparked by MS deciding that 'best practices' dictates the content does not go into the program's executable directory, but rather the user's profile (or an 'all users' location).,,generally this is somewhere in the 'My Documents' folder.

edited December 1969

Thanks kindly to all those that replied. The link posted by Richard Haseltine helped a lot...

I have Poser Pro 2012 and DAZ and I much prefer DAZ3D but both are fantastic apps... I just don't like they way they store content. Hoping future versions will have something more easier to manage and migrate, something like e-onsoftware does with Vue would be ideal...

All this runtime, geometries, libraries, textures, etc seems unnecessary. I do Novel Netware & Windows file server support and when it comes to my relax time I want to spend it being artistic and not learning another file structure...

Any chance of having a simpler file store for content in the future?

Cheers

Ken

• Daniel BarnettDaniel Barnett Posts: 389
    edited December 1969

I agree! Over a month organizing my content using the content manager and the minute I installed the latest ver 4.5 ALL of my content was gone and I can't seem to get it back. I do have a backup of my database but it's not helping right now!

edited December 1969

The database was a nice idea but if they used a more simplified structure for content storage it would not be required. After all Vue doesn't use any database and it's content is really easy to manage or structure and re-structure to your hears content. All done through Windows explorer...

edited December 1969

I just made some purchases at the DAZ store and guess what... Now DAZ3D won't launch. I believe it's a problem with the way DAZ Studio manages content. I know it's not my hard drive as all other apps launch fine (Vue, Hexagon, Photoshop Elements, Groboto, etc)...

Sorry but DAZ really has to make content management easier... If e-onsoftware can do it with Vue why can DAZ do it.???.. We really don't need the overhead of a database manager to look after our content...

I really need some help here guys....