Suddenly... black renders!

RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,041
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello...

I didn't find any threads here that echo my issue exactly, so I'll have to ask.

My renders have been beautiful and trouble free til today. Now, for some unknown reason, my renders are basically black! It seems to render fine once, and then the issue arises after I save the file and render again. These are spot renders, by the way.

Any help will be appreciated, as I'd rather not have to reinstall. Very strange...

Thank you! :(

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,632
    edited December 1969

What version of DS are you using, and what object are you spot-rendering? Can you turn smoothing off on it and see if the problem goes away?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Have you tried looking at the log file? (version of DS and will tell you how to get there)

I've seen it happen sometimes when the 3Delight render 'hangs' and doesn't stop for some reason, before you try to do another render. Usually exiting DS and restarting will fix the problem, sometimes a reboot is needed.

• RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,041
    edited December 1969

Guys, I'm using 4. And you may be right...

My other computer's video card died, so I had to go and get a new lappy. While I was doing that, it occurred to me that the two scenes I was having the issue with are related... one is a slightly re-posed version of the first, but the camera and lights are the same. So I thought I'd come home and re-save one or both with a different name, and start killing lights to see if I could find the culprit. Meanwhile I had rebooted the computer, as well as the external drive that I run my content from (works great, btw!). But, lo and behold, all seems to have cleared up as far as I can tell. Still testing... but maybe 3D-Light burped or something? Hope that's all it was.

Btw, Sickle, I use some of your freebies, and they are FUN! :D Thank you!

Fingers crossed, guys. Thanks for the support!

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,632
    edited December 1969

You're welcome on both counts. Here's hoping everything keeps working. :-)

• RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,041
    edited December 1969

Well, it was dfoing it on the one scene again, but I removed one light at a time and it seems to have been Spotlight 1 that was upsetting the cart. I deleted it and re-lit, and it's rendering again. Very strange! At least I know something's not globally effed up!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

There's a View Log under the Help button...if you look at the log, I'm going to take a guess that there will be an error relating to that spotlight.