Instancing

zug22zug22 Posts: 73

I just upgraded to DS 4.5 Pro for 4.
I did it because I thought the idea of Instancing would be great for making scenery instead of having to load each bit and set it up manually. I can't find anything that tells me how to do it, no menu item or button to push that refers to it although it's on the 4.5 "what's new" page just before "Geometry Shells".
The new version doesn't save files like the old one and the formats have changed. okay, but when I open files with objects that have been hidden by clicking on the "eye" icon in the Scene Tab, they DONOT reappear. That is odd, but i only said that to warn other folks it might happen to them too.
Please someone tell me how to "Instance" props or other non-actor objects or I will be tempted to go back to DS4 !
Thanks !

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Which Layout are you using? In Window>Workspace>Select Layout I have City Limits. In my Create Menu I have New Node Instance and New Node Instances. I use them for trees and such all the time. Have the Item you wish to COPY, (its a perfect Copy pose and all) selected in the Scene Tab when you wish to add a copy. You can move and Rotate them (instances) but not change in any other way.

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

You select the item you want to duplicate and go to Create - New Node Instance (makes only 1 copy) or New Node Instances (is set to 10 by default but can be changed to whatever you like).

• zug22zug22 Posts: 73
    edited December 1969

Okay, thanks everyone who posted. I was being dumb - just after I posted i found it. (Doh!)
    Thanks folks.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,408
    edited September 2013

OK, I have a question. I just upgraded to 4.6, though reluctantly (yes, I know, I'm a bit behind), and am working on a scene where I need a crowd of different guys in a night club, but I have very limited RAM resources. I would like to use Instances to populate this club, so here's the question: can take a Genesis figure, shape, texture, and clothe him, create an instance of that character, then change the original to a new shape, texture, and outfit, create a new instance of the new character, repeat as needed to populate the scene and then get rid of the now "unneeded" original, and thus populate the scene with a bunch of "unique" instances?

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No. That will not work, a instance is a 100% copy of the item. Any change to the Item is a change to the instance. You can Do most of that with a Geo Shell, they can have different textures. But note the poses stay the same in both a instance or a shell. I use layers to build scenes with multi figures that need very different details.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,408
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    No. That will not work, a instance is a 100% copy of the item. Any change to the Item is a change to the instance. You can Do most of that with a Geo Shell, they can have different textures. But note the poses stay the same in both a instance or a shell. I use layers to build scenes with multi figures that need very different details.
    So, I could make a Geo shell of a posed and shaped figure, then change the pose and shape of the of the original and make a new Geo shell of that with new textures, and repeat as needed?