Partial Victory? Articulable High-Res Genesis in Poser

GregoriusGregorius Posts: 397
edited September 2012 in The Commons

This may have been tried before, so I hope you'll forgive me if it has, but I think this is worth the risk. I've managed to create a SubD-resolution Genesis CR2 that's fully posable in Poser! The main process was easy. I exported a high-res Genesis OBJ, imported it into Poser, and copied the rigging from a low-res Genesis CR2 exported in the normal way. It worked better than I thought it would, but there were still some substantial joint problems. The hard part was creating custom JSMs, but anyway, this is the result.

I call it a partial victory because I haven't yet succeeded at getting any native morphs to transfer properly. Poser seems to insist that the number of vertices doesn't match up. Do the exact vertices created by SubD change according to the precise shape of the mesh upon division?

In any case, I just thought I'd share this in case it gives anyone a glimmer of hope.

DynGen.jpg
600 x 600 - 132K
Post edited by Gregorius on

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

The morphs for Genesis are for the base un-subdivided resolution mesh which you no longer have.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited September 2012

jestmart said:
    The morphs for Genesis are for the base un-subdivided resolution mesh which you no longer have.

Yes, the cr2 that DS exports has the base cages for Genesis' morphs that should be subdivided before rendering.

So no, this isn't the path you want to go down.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • GregoriusGregorius Posts: 397
    edited September 2012

jestmart said:

Yes, the cr2 that DS exports has the base cages for Genesis' morphs that should be subdivided before rendering.

Cages? Except for the rigging, I'm not using the automated export CR2 that DS generates. If you morph Genesis in DS, subdivide the resulting figure, and export the new OBJ, shouldn't the exported geometry have the same number of vertices as high-res default Genesis? If so, I should be able to either import the OBJ as an FBM to the figure I already have or edit my current custom CR2 to reference the new geometry. That's my theory. I'm trying to figure out what practical element I'm missing that keeps my theory from becoming anything more than that. Are you saying these "cages" are it?

Post edited by Gregorius on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Gregorius said:

Cages? Except for the rigging, I'm not using the automated export CR2 that DS generates. If you morph Genesis in DS, subdivide the resulting figure, and export the new OBJ, shouldn't the exported geometry have the same number of vertices as high-res default Genesis?

Not for those morphs. You only subdivided Genesis' base cage. The other morphs are base cages for other morphs as well, so the point order will be different.

What are these cages? They may be the missing puzzle piece.

Probably the best way of thinking of cages that they control the high-resolution mesh; so the each morph contains different instructions. So you should think of the cages as instructions, not morphs.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,066
    edited December 1969

I'd rather go with Snarlygribbly sub-d script.
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2855662

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,753
    edited December 1969

Gregorius said:
    jestmart said:

Cages? Except for the rigging, I'm not using the automated export CR2 that DS generates. If you morph Genesis in DS, subdivide the resulting figure, and export the new OBJ, shouldn't the exported geometry have the same number of vertices as high-res default Genesis? If so, I should be able to either import the OBJ as an FBM to the figure I already have or edit my current custom CR2 to reference the new geometry. That's my theory. I'm trying to figure out what practical element I'm missing that keeps my theory from becoming anything more than that. Are you saying these "cages" are it?

Yes, that will work - it's just a bit of a pain as you would have to do it for every morph (not that you wouldn't have to redo the standard export as CR2 for extra morphs, but I think it would be fewer steps. Also, as noted, the idea is that the figure is posed and then Subdivided - the Snarlygribbly script will give you that, and a lighter figure while posing, though the process is still a bit fiddly.

• ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Speaking of that matter how Daz is doing with the poser support, that we have heard a month ago? Do we have any news?:)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,753
    edited December 1969

Nope, nothing further has been posted as far as I know.