PNG sequence practice

BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Sequenced foreground character with separate sequenced background. Made for some interesting challenges. This was just for practice, not necessarily a clean animation, but it's decent overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuxLfOj3LmM

Comments

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,159
    edited December 1969

BC Rice said:
    Sequenced foreground character with separate sequenced background. Made for some interesting challenges. This was just for practice, not necessarily a clean animation, but it's decent overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuxLfOj3LmM

looks pretty good.
    I got a couple of questions,
    how many png graphics frames did it take for you to make a 30 seconds scene.?
    And how big a file size in Mb did it create when you were finished the animation sequence?
    one last question:) How big was your resolution size.

i'm just trying to compare it to 30 seconds avi animation sequence.

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

I'll have to check the file size when I'm neat my computer. But a PNG sequence is simply however many frames you rendered it at. I rendered this animation as a PNG sequence (once for the character and once for the background) at 24 frames per second. So for 30 seconds it's 24 X 30. As for resolution, I rendered both sequences at 1280 X 720. The dpi was 72.

edited December 1969

BC Rice said:
    I'll have to check the file size when I'm neat my computer. But a PNG sequence is simply however many frames you rendered it at. I rendered this animation as a PNG sequence (once for the character and once for the background) at 24 frames per second. So for 30 seconds it's 24 X 30. As for resolution, I rendered both sequences at 1280 X 720. The dpi was 72.

well your test looked great, i was trying to figure out which would be less file size to use for a flash animation. When rendering animation in AVI format using cinepak codex uncompressed a 10 second scene is 300 key-frames @30kfps(keyframes pre second) which would equals 300 PNG graphics at the same keyframe rate.. if i render them in AVI sequence. the file size is some where around 70 - 110 megabytes for 300 keyframes using 4 light maps at a HD resolution 1080 x 1920.
    I was wonders what size you were working with to see if it was worth working with PNG for flash animation instead of streaming Avi

To give you a idea what I am talking about hear is a example of a AVI animation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fZKi-jbYlg
    this film is 22 separate animated avi scenes at HD-1920 x1080 totaling 2 minutes and the file size for the flim was 658 Megabytes, in HD FLV4 flash format
    which is to large for streaming flash video so that is why i asked what your file size was and resolution using PNG format : ) because I wonder if i compressed the png file in fireworks as one sequence it would reduce the files size greatly when i import it into flash.

So really i guess the only way to know is to try it and see what i get :)
    Thanks for the reply

edited December 1969

So i moused over the two separate files where the PNG sequences were, and the one with just the figure was 32 mb and the one with just the background was 848 mb.

But I don't upload a PNG sequence to Youtube. I run the final thing through an encoder and it spits out the H.264 (MPEG-4) movie which is 25 mb.

If you're uploading to Youtube you should (if possible) always render as H.264. It's Youtube's preferred format. I'm not certain why you're rendering in FLV4 files unless you're trying to post on Newgrounds or something?

But in answer to your question, my guess is that you'd be way beyond that 658 mb number if you did everything as a PNG sequence. You'd probably be looking at, what, 900-1000 megabytes every 30 seconds? Depending.

edited December 1969

Also, that was a hella ambitious scene you put together. Probably too heavy on the wide shots given the mocaps and animations you had to work with. I'm not much for animating in CGI, it's crazy time consuming without premade animations, but to me the most successful animations by single users are the ones that utilize a shit ton of cuts in order to break up the awkward transitions. ROSA pretty much solidified the perfect working example. ;)

https://vimeo.com/31894179

edited December 1969

BC Rice said:
    So i moused over the two separate files where the PNG sequences were, and the one with just the figure was 32 mb and the one with just the background was 848 mb.

But I don't upload a PNG sequence to Youtube. I run the final thing through an encoder and it spits out the H.264 (MPEG-4) movie which is 25 mb.

If you're uploading to Youtube you should (if possible) always render as H.264. It's Youtube's preferred format. I'm not certain why you're rendering in FLV4 files unless you're trying to post on Newgrounds or something?

But in answer to your question, my guess is that you'd be way beyond that 658 mb number if you did everything as a PNG sequence. You'd probably be looking at, what, 900-1000 megabytes every 30 seconds? Depending.

I have no problem uploading to youtube i just use Adobe Premiere.to put my scenes together and upload..
    My problem is when uploading a flash file in Adobe flash pro as a swf or fla, an avi streaming video take a while to load in a html5 webpage. where as i was wondering if the png format would save me file flash size over the AVI format..though 800 mb for your back ground file is as big as all the files i am using now so thats really no advantage i guess,

This is why i was asking about the png format.
    this is a flash file http://www.ivysdomain.com/3_Stories/story/Default.html
    using png at 640 x 520 in a action script3 swf the file size for the swf file under 300kb , but the raw FLA file is 280mb see why i am looking for ways to reduce size..lol

thanks for your answers :)