Any tutorials for realistic rendering

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have looked on many youtube videos but cant find any decent tutorials for having realistic renders.
So any1 knows how to make 1 i mean which setting to tweak in render settings and which lights to use.
I can get somewhat realsatic look my feirry genessis but that looks all red.

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,900
    edited December 1969

It slowly comes with practice and over time. Each scene will be different and require different settings. Regardless of the program and render engine used to render with, there is no easy way to get realism. It onlt feels easier as you grow as an artist and learn. Take the time to play around with different things and ideas and dont get disappointed when it doesn't all turn out the way you want.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2012

I personally found using Reality (as a bridge to LuxRender) to be a turning point in getting my scenes to look much more realistic. Keep in mind trial and error is always needed with any pursuit, there's no magic bullet to any of this, at least not one I've found yet.

http://preta3d.com/reality-2-0/

http://www.3dworldmag.com/2012/03/29/software-review-reality-2/

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750
    edited December 1969

Reality plugin can raise the realism for DAZ Studio.

This thread link has more information previously discussed. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7724/

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

First off you can get great results without Reality but as said before it takes time to learn how to use the program. Many things go into a realistic render from just DS and the DS render engine.

You need GOOD textures to start with and then you need to understand the Settings for the Texture in the Surfaces tab.
    Then you need GOOD lighting, without good lighting a Great Texture will still look fake.
    Then comes your Render Settings, the default settings will never get you to a realistic render.

Take time and learn, I'm four plus years in and I've only done TWO renders that I feel come close to Realistic.

Yes Reality does do great work, I have it as well, but it also requires time to learn as well. None of us have that much needed Make art button yet. I wish we did.

P.S. This is a straight DS4Pro render. One of my best.

!M5_Test-001.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 360K
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

my suggestion would be to learn how to use the lighting solution that comes with daz before trying reality/lux or octane for rendering. That way you know what it can do and how things can look.The default solution is good for a lot of things one of those is what some would call realistic renders. I'm not sure what kind of "Realistic" you are looking for. A lot of people define this differently, so you may get everything you need out of UE2 that comes with studio 4. I know I have a lot of renders that people consider realistic using that solution.

You need to learn the ins and outs of it's settings and learn some concepts. I would suggest looking through adamr001 UE posts in the forum.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5320/

If you spend some time with UE and find it doesn't work out for you on it's own then you can try some of the lighting solutions sold in this store. Once loaded up you can look at them and see how they set up the lights :) I've learned a lot from looking into my favorite lighting sets and trying to mimic them(and simplify them or adjust them other ways)

As already mentioned a good texture is needed as well, I would try rendering a few different textures and comparing the results so you can start learning which textures you have are not as good for realistic rendering as others. Daz's elite textures tend to be top-teir from my experience. There are some other great ones as well, but there are a lot of ok and mediore ones too. Some skins are better for toon renders! (nothing wrong with that I love toons)

Some people like to use ubersurface and pwsurface to get better control of surfaces. A really good character textures tend to come with a bunch of material setting and maps for specular, displacement and bump and doesn't need another shader added. Spend some time learning about shaders and materials!

And now that I have mentioned a few products to help out you can see why there isn't a tutorial that covers it all. It will depend on the tools you use. But you can get a reasonably realistic render just using one UE light and a good character skin. If you want to step up the game then learning other renderers is an option. But I wouldn't skip to them personally.