applying material from one prop to another

Hi everybody,

I don't know if it is possible but I would like to apply one of the "dynamic nightgown" material to the dynamic tablecoth, namely the one named cherry satin. The problem is that the 2 items don't have the same geometry at all. Moreover the nightgown materials have "dsb" extensions whereas the table coth materials are of the ds type.
It would be easier maybe with poser but I have an old version of the dynamic tablecoth which won't open in poser pro 12.
Thank you in advance to anybody who would have a clue.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited October 2012

With the nightgown, like most Daz Studio Dynamic clothing, are made up of many panels, each with there own material zone and uvmapping. The tablecloth has just two mat zones, the main fabric and stitches and different uvmapping.

This what happens when you copy and paste the material from the night gown to the table cloth.

You could take the textures maps of both items in to GIMP or = and match them up. Then just copy the surfaces settings from the nightgown and apply then to the table cloth

nightgown.jpg
    1680 x 965 - 567K
    Post edited by Szark on
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,576
    edited December 1969

If the material is texture based and the texture is a repeating pattern it can be done, but its a lot of work.

Take the texture into a 2d graphics program.
    Find as large a section as you can that contains at least one full repetition of the pattern.
    Copy that section and paste it repeatedly, matching up the repeating parts of the pattern until you have an area that is bigger than the UV areas of the tablecloth

• edited December 1969

Hi Szark and Pwiecek,

Whaouh ! tahnk you both for your suggestions but obviously you are technicains wheras I am rather a noob in uv mapping (ideed I hardly understand the concept). Could you give me a step by step tutorial on this or indicate a link to a noob tutorial on uv mapping ?
    Thank you and pardon me my ignorance !

edited December 1969

For this it is not so much the Uvmappiing that needs changing but matching the textures to the existing uvmap. We do this by going to the product page http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dynamic-tablecloth go to the Resource Files tab and download the Uvmap template zip.

Unzip this file to anywhere you want, the choice is yours. Open the uv template in Gimp or = software and use this template as a guide to match up the texture map. When finished hide the template save the texture map as a jpeg and apply that to the tablecloth via the surafces tab.

If you study Surfaces Pane in Daz Studio and what they do you will soon see what needs to be done. This is how I learnt as this by delving in to things, testing, trying things out. It really doesn't take long the see what does what. The hard part is setting all the settings up the match the lighting. But that too will come in time.

I am no technician I assure you...most self taught with a helping hand from Dreamlight and this forum. :)

but his mught help further http://homepage.eircom.net/~neilvpose/ds-settings.htm

• edited December 1969

Szark,

Thank you for your post but there are bits I don't understand. What do you mean by " use this template as a guide to match up the texture map" ? Once I open the "dynamictablecloth Square" (which is the only file I could download using your link) in photoshop I obtain a kind of grid but I don't understand what to match up with what...
    Could you me more specific, even if I sound like a retard http://www.daz3d.com/forums/smileys/#
    Thank you for your patience...

DynamicTableCloth_Square_T.jpg
    500 x 500 - 145K
    edited December 1969

It is better to ask than to stay quiet.

That grid is the template. Given it is just a big square will make this easy for you.

Open the grid up in Photoshop then grab yourself a texture map... your choice. Texture map is what gives you the surfaces colour, the diffuse colour. If you intend on using the Dynamic dress texture map then you will need to locate it and enlarge it so you fill the square grid up with the texture. But when you do this it can reduce the resolution of the texture map giving poor results when rendered close up.

Basiclly you would line up the outer edge of the square grid with the outer edge of the texture map. I do this by having the grid on top and lowering the layer opacity so I can see the texture underneath and just able to see the grid.

Once the two are lined up hide the grid and save the image as a jpeg.

The with Daz Studio open select the table cloth, fabric surface > go to the diffuse channel, top of the Surfaces Pane. On our left of the Colour bar is a drop down box, choose "Browse" > navigate to where you saved the new jpeg and select it. Now if all goes well your table cloth will have a new texture applied.