How do I make my own clothing for Genesis?

tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have a teenager who is in dire need of a pair of jeans.

The ones I have seen available are passable but do not really look realistic enough for what I want.

I also need a pair of loose fitting shorts for the other character...

Now - How would I go about designing clothing and textures for a character?

Are there any documents or tutorials for guiding me through the process?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Terry

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You should have a look at the Hexagon forum. You will need to learn a bit of modelling, then UV Mapping and texturing, but the process is a lot simpler than it used to be because of the way Genesis is rigged.

There are loads of free items for V4 and M4 which may be converted to Genesis on ShareCG, and even some for Genesis. If the clothing is only for your own use, you could convert some of them to suit your needs. The K4 clothes can be used on Genesis as well via Autofit.

If you really want to model clothes, there are tutorials available in the store by Fugazi, and many free ones as well.

• edited December 1969

If you have a little modeling experience, Wings3D and Blender are perfect and easy. But the DAZ License strictly forbids using Blender Shrinkwrap on their models, so don't do that (unless you want to make it real easy cuz nobody will every know) to make a starter suit. Then cut and move and extrude and sculpt until your happy, UV-map, and Paint in Blender or Sculptris!! .... Sculptris will export both Normal and Bump maps (Bump maps are in .tif format and are huge!) along with the textures, or you can even just assign materials and use the Daz Shaders and ShaderBaker ... Blender also has a nice Cloth Sim, perfect for realistic flow for dresses and capes and stuff, and both Blender and Sculptris work well for Morphs, although Blender has a much tougher learning curve. Personally I like Wings3D for my initial geometry. I've found a way to produce geometry similar to Zbrushs' Group-loops, which is very helpful in UV-mapping and Material assignment. Then once I have those on a low-poly, I'll move to Blender, subdivide and Sculpt and Play leaving the UV-mappin and materials as is, then finaly paint in Sculptris. Sculptris has hiccups as far as importing, but it's the easiest and funnest to paint in once you figure it out .......

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:
    I have a teenager who is in dire need of a pair of jeans.

The ones I have seen available are passable but do not really look realistic enough for what I want.

I also need a pair of loose fitting shorts for the other character...

Now - How would I go about designing clothing and textures for a character?

Are there any documents or tutorials for guiding me through the process?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Terry

Hi, I'm just wondering why you need to make them yourself? Which figure are you using? If it's genesis there are lots of different jeans around many of which would be suitable for teenagers. Have you looked at the bad guy outfit from smay? There are also many others around that would be easy to convert.There are some shorts for K4 beach set and ants pants that may also do what you need for the shorts. Just be careful applying smoothing to antspants as the waistband isnt attached and if the smoothing is too high will separate.

hope this is useful

Pen

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I have some free Genesis clothing at ShareCG. There are shorts and jeans.

See link in my signature

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    I have some free Genesis clothing at ShareCG. There are shorts and jeans.

See link in my signature

The jeans set is very versatile...and if you look through wilmap's gallery, you'll find several Fabricator presets with more cloth options that can be used for her Genesis clothing.

Also, her stuff isn't too hard to retexture...plus most of it is 'normal', everyday type clothing.