Limited Time Freebies Discussion Thread

Comments

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,644

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Elor said:

DanaTA said:

There's this: https://www.daz3d.com/xi-new-york-stairs 

It's a Daz+ freebie.

Sadly, no new freebies this week. I made a message in the reporting thread, but I don't know if it was taken into account or not.

As of a few minutes ago, none of the mods had responded. I will ask again. 

Check the biweekly freebies again The new ones are now appearing for me to give a total of 16 items with "Hide items I Own" unchecked. 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,182
    edited July 27

This is quite a nice set compared to what we've been getting lately. Thanks Daz!

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

wow, this bi-week's freebies were amazing! some male stuff, for quite recent figures, nice choice. and it's me saying that, the one who always complains about the old stuff, so...

way to go daz, thanks ^^

• mdingmding Posts: 1,217

yep, thanks a lot, DAZ!

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 748

Glad so many folks have stuff they're excited over! Definitely not a useful week for me (maybe the hairs on a background distance character?) since I don't use the older figures, but win some, lose some. Maybe next round.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,644

SilverGirl said:

Glad so many folks have stuff they're excited over! Definitely not a useful week for me (maybe the hairs on a background distance character?) since I don't use the older figures, but win some, lose some. Maybe next round.

Definitely not exciting for me either because I already have all the items. 

SilverGirl said:

Ironically, I already have the hairs. I expect a certain amount of "Already got that!" The freebies are usually for older figures, anyway. It's nice to see G2/G3 stuff rather than V2/V3 and Poser items of similar vintage. I'm no fan of Star, Cookie, or the weird cartoon horsy things, either. So, this was good.

• ElorElor Posts: 1,141

Great week indeed: most products can be used without buying something else, including three for Genesis 3 (I'm counting the caracter because his skin textures can be used without owning Michael 7) and the Genesis 2 products are not too bad either (I initially didn't saw that Marie HD had earrings included, it shouldn't be too hard to convert them to Iray and to parent them to the ears of more recents characters). It was worth the wait smiley

SilverGirl said:

You can use the poses with a converter (if money is a bit short, you can use one of the free converters: personnaly, I'm using the 'Genesis 1/2/3/8/9 to Genesis 3/8/9 Pose Converter' from @n_alexandru) and you never know when you'll find a use for them laugh

As an example, for the last render I shared on my gallery, the pose is a conversion of a freebie from a couple of month ago, one I didn't even remember I had before looking at all dancing poses in Smart content and it converted nicely to Genesis 9.

• edited July 27

SilverGirl said:

I wish you had found more cool stuff.

I use SloshWerk's https://www.daz3d.com/uht-hair-shaders-for-iray to use older hairs with G3-9 main characters. Just apply one of the hair's presets to load the hair transmaps, and then apply the UHT preset, which replaces the shader and some of the other maps. It also has a few simple utility presets as well. They look as good as the newer hairs. It's on sale for $9 before any coupon codes/tokens.

I also have some of the G2 Bone Minions so I can use the G2 poses easily with G3 & G8. (I pick these up individually when they go on sale.)

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

@Elor I've been meaning to give that pose converter a spin. Seems quite useful

• emanuela1emanuela1 Posts: 579

Very nice biweekly freebies, thanks DAZ!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,397

Charlie Judge said:

SilverGirl said:

Definitely not exciting for me either because I already have all the items. 

Same here 

SilverGirl said:

You can use the poses with a converter (if money is a bit short, you can use one of the free converters: personnaly, I'm using the 'Genesis 1/2/3/8/9 to Genesis 3/8/9 Pose Converter' from @n_alexandru) and you never know when you'll find a use for them laugh

As an example, for the last render I shared on my gallery, the pose is a conversion of a freebie from a couple of month ago, one I didn't even remember I had before looking at all dancing poses in Smart content and it converted nicely to Genesis 9.

This is true - and initially I was excited over them... however, I already have newer/more natural looking versions of what's included. 

SilverGirl said:

I wish you had found more cool stuff.

I use SloshWerk's https://www.daz3d.com/uht-hair-shaders-for-iray to use older hairs with G3-9 main characters. Just apply one of the hair's presets to load the hair transmaps, and then apply the UHT preset, which replaces the shader and some of the other maps. It also has a few simple utility presets as well. They look as good as the newer hairs. It's on sale for $9 before any coupon codes/tokens.

I also have some of the G2 Bone Minions so I can use the G2 poses easily with G3 & G8. (I pick these up individually when they go on sale.)

I scored pretty hard on that tourist pack last round, so... I think I used up my 'cool stuff' karma for a bit. It's okay... not everything's for everyone.

Thanks for the rec on the Slosh shader. I have a few of his others and had tried them with older hairs without much luck... they always wind up looking kind of clumpy, so they clash with the newer stuff I have on my main characters. Maybe I'll have better luck with this one; have to try it.

I did spring for the full set of Bone Minions -> G9 on the last really good stacking sale just so I could make use of a lot of the older, cheaper poses. Haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, though I'm sure it'll serve me well. This set though was pretty much the same poses as I already have from other places, except more stiff looking. Probably a good score for someone, though!

SilverGirl said:

i don't really know if i'll actually USE that stuff - i use mostly G8M or some G3M figures. haven't really used my very few G9 guys much yet cuz not rendering much these days. and i can see how many people already have that stuff - or don't want it. but compared to the almost usual "galore" of Hiro 3 stuff and V4/G1 little dresses or lighting from last century, this biweek was exceptional... of course, ideal would be to get maybe less but totally actual freebies. one can dream... ^^ 

• I was doing a couple quick test renders last night and put the Reyna Hair on Zelara 8, with the Crown (spikes) hidden. It looked okay, but only okay. I think it would look better if I picked a color other than white and put a little effort into styling, instead of just plopping the G3 hair onto the character. "

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,909

So many G3 items, thank you DAZ!

The new selection is up and like the previous one, it has Genesis 3 items: 6 to be precise most of them for G3F (4 are usuable as they are, one is a character so can still be used but will not look as presented without Mika 7 and the last one is a texture pack).

That Cirque collection gave me a cool idea, and the Hood Huntress collection could prove useful. Same with the nunchucks poses... none of my people use them, but I might be able to use a couple stances as a base and modify to suit. The rest I picked up anyway because who knows. 

nice, DAZ! again, real freebies that can be used with quite recent figures! and male stuff, and environment items! thank you! keep up the good work ^^

I agree!

The huntress poncho answers nicely to simulation (at least when used without the hood because I have yet to try adding a dForce modifier to the hood): I tried one of the bow pose from one of the Victoria 9 bundle and with the Sheath, Bow and Arrow set to no be visible to simulation, everything worked fine.

• edited August 9

It is a pretty nice selection. I got Maryse a while back on deep discount because I liked the skin although I haven't tried the shape since I don't have Mika. I also have Kara Hair but can't recall whether I've used it. Note on our perennial Kin: I used the white eye texture for a G9 alien and it looked good. (The character has several eye colors, mostly light.)

I will pick up what I don't have except for the textures. I used to get textures for clothing I didn't own, thinking "I will get the clothing in a sale" but I only did that once so I stopped.

-----

Full list of the new freebies. Usable for August and September 2024 challenges.

G9: EG Kin character/hair/poses; Angie dForce Jeans set

G3F: 3DA Maryse for Mika 7; Hooded Huntress Collection; Relaxed Sunday Cute textures; Wicked Party Dress; Kara Hair

G3M: Nunchuks Poses for Lee 7*

G2F: Lady Scarlett textures; Sexy Librarian outfit; Effie for Kilo 6

Props, etc.: Industrial Compressor; Dark Trees Pack 1 - Ivy**

*Nunchuks included

**high poly & requires Dark Trees Pack 1

Post edited by miladyderyni_173d399f47 on

It is a pretty nice selection. I got Maryse a while back on deep discount because I liked the skin although I haven't tried the shape since I don't have Mika.

Maryse looks remarkably unhappy without Mika as a base. Seriously! Wide mouth, looks frowny. The skin is very nice! Oddly, the skin shows seams with the Filament preview - No idea why. No problems with 3DL or Iray. The skin looks great on other characters, too. If/when I finally get Mika7, Maryse will be complete.

I will pick up what I don't have except for the textures. I used to get textures for clothing I didn't own, thinking "I will get the clothing in a sale" but I only did that once so I stopped.

I picked up the textures. I've done that and never got the outfit, it was just never a priority. But I sometimes still get the free textures. I'm an optimist. Maybe the associated outfits will also come up for free? That's happened at least once! So my DIM Ready to Install queue is littered with textures for which I lack the actual outfit.

I don't remember getting an outfit and the textures from the freebies, but I had one pose set and its environnement months appart.

And in the end, if it's free, it doesn't cost me anything and don't take any space on my hard-drive, so I pick all of them every time.

• I would pick up the textures if they were for clothing I was interested in but haven't had much luck in that area for a while.

If the textures are for outlandish fantasy wear (like the Lady Scarlet textures) I pick it up and WL the base in case Daz decides to throw WL freebies at some point. I figure it's good background costumed patron wear for Renaissance faires, or if I do a scene set at a convention at some point. Textures for skimpwear dresses that defy the laws of physics, though? Not so much.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,909
    edited August 11

Very quick render of Maryse's skin, out of the box. Didn't bother with the shape because 1) I don't own Mika 7, and 2) I already have more than enough Thorne-esque girlies. The shape I used here is a mix of Tika 8, Darcy 8, and some curvy dials.

Maryse.png
    600 x 900 - 806K
    Post edited by Hylas on

Oh, a core character for free, thank you laugh (it's Gianni 7).

Just a warning, the astra outfit did not appear in DIM despite being visible in my library on the website, so I downloaded it from the website, placed the zip file in '/Users/Shared/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads' (no idea where it can be located on a Windows machine) and it installed just fine.