What are the advantages of V5 Genesis over V4.2, is there a list anywhere?

HenryChan2HenryChan2 Posts: 0
edited December 2012 in The Commons

What are the advantages of V5 Genesis over V4.2, is there a list anywhere?

1. Has there been geometry added in the butt and thigh of V5 for modifications via morphs to sculpt better genitalia?
2. Does the model have more polys?
3. What morphs does V5 have that give a clear and precise advantage over v4.2?
4. Is the whole point of V5 to simply offer another unique figure?
5. Does V5 bend better than v4.2 with perfect v4 complete or the other weighted solutions for fixing joint bends?

Thanks!

Also I noticed in the below picture that the guy on the left is about to grab V5's butt. Was this intended? If so I want to commend DAZ on their liberation!

S0RWC.jpg
500 x 650 - 55K
Post edited by HenryChan2 on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The answer would be no, since V4 is higher res (though I haven't counted polygons in the groin)

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2012

LOL at the grab her butt.

I can't comment on Poser but Genesis offers a lot over Gen4. V5 and M5 are effectively shapes for Genesis. WHile M5 and V5 bring many morphs and better rigging (and UV sets) to genesis, the question I think you are asking does genesis add anything over Gen4.

Genesis is a mesh with a lower BASE poly count then Gen4. However since Genesis is all about subD, Genesis ends up with a fair amount of polys when using SubD (which is the default). You would only switch to BASE level geometry if you are creating your own morphs for genesis or need to have some lower poly stand ins in the background. I am sure that someone will be able to get more into the SubD piece of it if you are interested.

How Genesis Bends in comparision to the V4 fix solutions is debatable. Keep in mind that many of those fixes came out after genesis, and genesis has a few fixes of her/his own.

The real advantage of Genesis is that any clothes designed for genesis work on virtually any character, including children and super large trolls. *cue wendy*

And for me, I don't use much V5, I use a ton of Genesis. While I have V5 and I recommend her, it's mostly for her additional morphs and to gain access to her UV maps since some textures require it. I never actually dial in her shape since there are so many more appealing ones I have. ANd since clothing is not an issue, there is no reason to stick to the "standard" like with V4.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • HenryChan2HenryChan2 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

LOL at the grab her butt.

I can't comment on Poser but Genesis offers a lot over Gen4. V5 and M5 are effectively shapes for Genesis. WHile M5 and V5 bring many morphs and better rigging (and UV sets) to genesis, the question I think you are asking does genesis add anything over Gen4.

Genesis is a mesh with a lower BASE poly count then Gen4. However since Genesis is all about subD, Genesis ends up with a fair amount of polys when using SubD (which is the default). You would only switch to BASE level geometry if you are creating your own morphs for genesis or need to have some lower poly stand ins in the background. I am sure that someone will be able to get more into the SubD piece of it if you are interested.

How Genesis Bends in comparision to the V4 fix solutions is debatable. Keep in mind that many of those fixes came out after genesis, and genesis has a few fixes of her/his own.

The real advantage of Genesis is that any clothes designed for genesis work on virtually any character, including children and super large trolls. *cue wendy*

V5 could be sub divided but still have the morphs, clothing and everything working? Can you take that V5 and subD it in Zbrush, add proper genitalia and render it in poser using DSON?

Please forgive me for the nature of these questions, I'm trying to keep it as professional as possible.

edited December 2012

If you are editing Genesis in Zbrush you need to edit while the model is NOT subD'ed. Some content creators have commented that working with the base mesh is a little more work since you have to exaggerate some morphs since when Sub D is added things smooth out.

Others didn't really seem to have a problem with it.

Sorry I won't be able to give you full info on editing in Zbrush as I haven't done it myself. I've just read a few comments about it though.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Genesis gives Poser it's first taste of true Subdivision Surfaces :)

And no, if you add geometry to the mesh in Zbrush, you will screw up the mesh, and nothing will work. You want genitalia, get the Michael 5 Pro Pak, or the Victoria 5 Pro Pak. If you want morphed female genitalia, get the Body Morphs produced for Genesis by Thorne/Handspan Studios...

edited December 2012

Also keep in mind by Default Genesis is MEANT to be sub divided, so morphs and clothes work fine that way.

as Wancow said, you can't add geometry to genesis and expect it to work.

edited December 1969

1. Has there been geometry added in the butt and thigh of V5 for modifications via morphs to sculpt better genitalia?
    You want genitalia, get the ProPak for M5 and V5.

2. Does the model have more polys?
    Far fewer, maybe half as many.

3. What morphs does V5 have that give a clear and precise advantage over v4.2?
    Genesis can use all the morphs produced for Victoria 4xx, Michael 4xx via GenX

4. Is the whole point of V5 to simply offer another unique figure?
    It's simply a better figure

5. Does V5 bend better than v4.2 with perfect v4 complete or the other weighted solutions for fixing joint bends?
    Hell yes.

have you not watched the Genesis Video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cTBBnc2SJ90

edited December 1969

Even without GenX, Genesis can use V4 textures and accept V4 and M4 clothing. If you want to have Genesis Look like V4 you can do that as well with the V4 shape for genesis.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 2012

V5 would be a fresher face, less *exposure* than V4 or V3.

If you use poser9 or 12, there's a weight mapping utility for V4 at rdna.
    you might want to look at Michelle
    Anastasia for Alyson2
    Miki4
    or Kez from sharecg.

honestly though, takes some serious render skill chops to achieve photo/realism.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

honestly though, takes some serious render skill chops to achieve photo/realism.

tell me about it but one day I might get there, with the right tools and learning. :)
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

in r/l though, the model doesn't stand still and say cheese, she's in constant motion, industrial size fans blowing in her face.

from watching a few of those Tyra Banks model contest shows, it's a particular talent for a model to direct her energy at the camera, and a photographer with the talent to capture it. he's taking hundreds of pictures, then studies them all for the winning picture. -or the money shot.

huh!, it would be interesting to key frame vicki through some poses, then look through the frames like a live photographer

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,730
    edited December 1969

wancow said:

Hell yes.

I would have to disagree with this, maybe in certain poses, but i have found poses that look less realistic just due to the way genesis is made/rigged and with certain morphs. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of genesis, but it is far from perfect and V4 can still outshine it in certain situations.
    For me the allure of genesis is the versatility, gotta love a figure that can morph into any gen 4 or gen 3 character and also wear all of their clothes without any fuss. Add the smoothing modifier and collision from DS4.5 and for me it's the perfect combo.

edited December 2012

I didn't say Genesis was perfect. But Elbows and Knees... plus the Abdomen-Abdomen2... it's just got better joints right out of the box. If it had the development V4.2 has had over the past several years, it would way outclass Gen4... IMHO it still does.

That said, I'm VERY interested in the specifics of what you're talking about... I don't use V4 at all, so there may be some things I'm unaware of.

Post edited by wancow on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

1 & 2 No, Genesis = 18k V4.2 = 68k

3 None, V5 is a morph for Genesis, V4 is a figure.

4 Marketing, create a couple of character morphs for Genesis and slap a 5 in the name, that way they can sucker the user base into believing the Millenium figures still exist.

5 There is no V5, only Genesis and yes it does bend better than V4 in DS.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 2012

Bejaymac said:
    Genesis = 18k V4.2 = 68k

Genesis defaults to one level of subdivision, though, which puts it at around 72k. Granted, that's 'computed' mesh instead of 'designed' mesh. But does that really make much difference these days, considering the modeling tools are probably doing most of the same work when people 'design' a mesh anyway? Granted, designed means certain problem areas can be hand tweaked. But I'm guessing that's not done commonly.

Now, I'm no modeler, so may be completely off my rocker here, but it would seem to me that a higher poly count doesn't really solve the stretch issues the OP seems concerned about. Wouldn't you also need an new UV map that understands the higher poly count to make texture map stretch issues less apparent? And for Genesis, the UV maps I presume must also be at the base resolution. So if you wanted a new UV to take advantage of higher poly counts to reduce texture stretching in a specific area, you'd be better off using geografted objects, since those have their own UVs, correct?.

I look at subdivision boosting the poly counts primarily to make the mesh smoother to reduce the stairsteps renderers produce when light hits a subject at the grazing angle. Not as a way to help correct for texture stretching.

Post edited by cwichura on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Wouldn't you also need an new UV map that understands the higher poly count to make texture map stretch issues less apparent? And for Genesis, the UV maps I presume must also be at the base resolution. So if you wanted a new UV to take advantage of higher poly counts to reduce texture stretching in a specific area, you'd be better off using geografted objects, since those have their own UVs, correct?.

I look at subdivision boosting the poly counts primarily to make the mesh smoother to reduce the stairsteps renderers produce when light hits a subject at the grazing angle. Not as a way to help correct for texture stretching.

As to the UVs and subdivision...you can apply the same algorithm to it, too...Blender does that with 'live unwrapping'...it keeps the UV/mesh in sync as you subdivide it. I believe other apps do it too...zBrush, springs to mind. There are also other advantages to subdividing...like how the weights are spread out...with a higher level of subd, the transitions/gradients are much smoother/fluid...

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

V4.2 has http://www.daz3d.com/shop/victoria-4-2-creature-creator-add-ons which is still unavalable for genesis.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

So...I've got Blender...

eddy.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    ed.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2012

I think Genesis has many advantages over V4/M4. Besides the above mentioned, almost endless blending possibilities the whole figure just looks more natural; critical parts of V4 like the armpits have been improved in Genesis. On the other hand they cut some important morphing possibilities of the face (e.g. lip crease or head morphing).

@larsmidnatt: Do you know a good tutorial about subD, rigging, Z-brush etc.? This is all double Dutch to me, but I would like to learn. For me it is mostly the question of head and face morphs. I am planning a little gallery with portraits of family & friends, but as long as you can't change the general head shapes, this is not possible. I am telling no news saying that if the head shape of a portrayed person is correct, that's half the battle.

Post edited by caravelle on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    As to the UVs and subdivision...you can apply the same algorithm to it, too...

The problem is the UV still remains proportional to the original UV. If you have an area that is expected to grow a lot via a morph, you'd want a new UV that has a higher density allocated to that region of the mesh so it can stretch more without showing texture smearing from the stretch.
    edited December 2012

Coon Ra said:
    V4.2 has http://www.daz3d.com/shop/victoria-4-2-creature-creator-add-ons which is still unavalable for genesis.

THe horns and tails from that set work fine. I'm guessing the only issue is the feet. Don't get me wrong would be nice, but there are a few options for genesis that would give you animal feet.

@polka dot, Sorry nothing for ya there. I'm sure someone around does though.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited December 2012

cwichura said:
    The problem is the UV still remains proportional to the original UV. If you have an area that is expected to grow a lot via a morph, you'd want a new UV that has a higher density allocated to that region of the mesh so it can stretch more without showing texture smearing from the stretch.

The Genesis solution to this is the 'live' switching between UV mappings. I think the Anubis figure is an example of that, to avoid texture stretch on the snout.

So, no it won't magically make any given UV non-distorting, but it lets you painlessly swap to a different, specifically made UV. :-)

Post edited by prixat on
    edited December 1969

Victoria 1-2 (basically the same mesh, slightly different joints) I didn't know they were less than 18k polygons... I thought they were more like 24K... interesting.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

polka dot said:
    For me it is mostly the question of head and face morphs. I am planning a little gallery with portraits of family & friends, but as long as you can't change the general head shapes, this is not possible. I am telling no news saying that if the head shape of a portrayed person is correct, that's half the battle.

Can't offer any info about 3D modeling but as far as body and head options: http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-V4-Morphs-for-Genesis

edited December 1969

For head shapes, IMHO, the Die Tying morphs have the best options over just about anyone else's...

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    For head shapes, IMHO, the Die Tying morphs have the best options over just about anyone else's...

Good to know, never actually used his morphs for heads. I've got so many good ones I never even looked. Are you just talking about adjustment morphs or are there presets?

edited December 1969

Not sure what you mean. He has basic face shapes: Square, Round, Pear, Heart... couple of others... I've got a render going so I can't read off the list.

edited December 1969

Meet DT Rying. You can achieve this level of beauty only with the Die Trying Morphs!

DT_Rying.jpg
    452 x 452 - 91K
    edited December 1969

thanks WC I didn't need a list just was trying to remember what came with it. I've got so many morphs they all blur together. I don't think i've used any of the DT face morphs before so I was trying to see what I was missing out on.

I use DT body morphs fairly regularly though.