soft-body dynamics in dazstudio?

creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
edited December 2012 in The Commons

Damn

found this nice vid of birth animation...
Link removed as it does not appear to have been uploaded to YouTube by the owner

when do we finally have soft-body dynamics in dazstudio?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• aminrougeaminrouge Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

After we survive this generation.

• DogzDogz Posts: 898
    edited December 2012

Soft body dynamics, would be nice, Currently Opitex is the only soft body/cloth solution, but you are limited to their props and garments, which is better than nothing, but its far from ideal.
    What would also be nice, would be simple collion deform modifer or plugin for DS. Somthing alot like the L3 Collison deform in maya. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEU2nMF6ARs
    I love that it works on the fly, (with no need for a simultion)

Post edited by Dogz on
  • creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    Soft body dynamics, would be nice, Currently Opitex is the only soft body/cloth solution, but you are limited to their props and garments, which is better than nothing, but its far from ideal.
    What would also be nice, would be simple collion deform modifer or plugin for DS. Somthing alot like the L3 Collison deform in maya. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEU2nMF6ARs
    I love that it works on the fly, (with no need for a simultion)

Ow yeah, that is a nice one. :cheese:

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

If you want soft body dynamics then get ready to spend big bucks on the next version of DS, those systems are expensive so DS5 or 6 wont be given away for free, as they would have to recover their costs very quickly.

As for them making their own system, don't make me laugh, we wanted dynamics we could use on any mesh, instead we got shafted with that Opti-pish* system, they didn't have the brains to make their own dynamic cloth system so there's no chance of them doing their own soft body system.

*Just in case a mod things I'm swearing >> pish - scots slang for utter garbage.

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    If you want soft body dynamics then get ready to spend big bucks on the next version of DS, those systems are expensive so DS5 or 6 wont be given away for free, as they would have to recover their costs very quickly.

As for them making their own system, don't make me laugh, we wanted dynamics we could use on any mesh, instead we got shafted with that Opti-pish* system, they didn't have the brains to make their own dynamic cloth system so there's no chance of them doing their own soft body system.

*Just in case a mod things I'm swearing >> pish - scots slang for utter garbage.

ofcourse we pay, if we like to play. (as long as it is well developed, why not?)
    i expect this is not free or it would have been called blender :lol:

edited December 2012

Bejaymac said:

DS could remain free, A Soft body plug-in could be paid, then it doesnt matter if its made in-house by daz or not.
    Im not really happy with the Optitex softbody plugin either.
    On top of being forced to used use only their props, its also feels quite frustrating to use, what with all that deflating and inflating business. It seems llike a rather slow process with an end result that is rather temperamental.

Post edited by Dogz on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    Bejaymac said:

DS could remain free, A Soft body plug-in could be paid, then it doesnt matter if its made in-house by daz or not.
    Im not really happy with the Optitex softbody plugin either.
    On top of being forced to used use only their props, its also feels quite frustrating to use, what with all that deflating and inflating business. It seems llike a rather slow process with an end result that is rather temperamental.

Umm...why?

Bullet is free...and if it is is already integrated into Lightwave, C4D, Carrara, Blender and Houdini, with plugins for Maya and Softimage, surely it's good enough for DS...

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 2012

We already have collision detection in DS

Here's Genesis with a sphere under it's skin...

collisiontest.jpg
    465 x 603 - 61K
    Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 2012

mjc1016 said:

Umm...why?

Bullet is free...and if it is is already integrated into Lightwave, C4D, Carrara, Blender and Houdini, with plugins for Maya and Softimage, surely it's good enough for DS...

I said "could" not 'should' .

@ Wancow, veeeeerrry funny :) , any amplitude /depth / fall off settings for that?

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 1969

It works... all you have to do is write a script that refines it... :)

edited December 2012

maybe, but Id still hope for somthing with a little bit more finesse though.

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 1969

Try playing with it... you have a push modifier as well... it does work :)

edited December 2012

Ill have ago - thanks.
    Edit -Tried it, played around with collision itterations and the slider under Mesh offset,
    Not convinced yet. Well it maybe depends on what you are trying to do, so far, its no good for say -indenting a soft chair cushion for the behind of a sitting Genesis. the results are a complete mess (and yes the cushion mesh has enough sub divisions for it to theroectically work)
    I'll leave it for now.

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    mjc1016 said:

Umm...why?

I said "could" not 'should' .

@ Wancow, veeeeerrry funny :) , any amplitude /depth / fall off settings for that?

Dogz,
    My response was more to the enclosed quote...but integration doesn't have to be costly, yeah, some of the items it's in aren't cheap...but they never were.

I love the functionality of it in Blender...I just wish it was easier going back and forth between Blender and DS.

As for the rudimentary collision support in DS...if you want to indent a cushion...use an invisible sphere. There's no access to falloff, so the best you can hope for with using Genesis's butt is a dip that isn't a crater. Whereas, using a sphere, you can, somewhat, control the size by adjusting the size of the sphere. Or if you need two people sitting on a couch, use/ make two connected sphere...because it's a one item/one collision type thing. And don't set Genesis to collide with the couch and the couch to collide with Genesis.

edited December 1969

Thanks for that, Though part of my problem might be the the chair had its normals were inverted on import (not sure, ill need to double check)
    That said, I think some morphs is probably the best and most realistic looking option for the task at hand, only downer being that they are not dynamic, but its not the end of the world.

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Try playing with it... you have a push modifier as well... it does work :)

would like a tutorial for this (and other new parts of DS4.5. Does/do any exist?

edited December 1969

what for what I did? Doesn't exist that I"m aware of.

All I did was I called up Genesis, created a Squere, applied a smoothing modifier to Genesis and told it to collide with the sphere. That's all there is too it. Applying a push modifier is in the same place.

Edit: figure: geometry

To set the collision, after applying smoothing modifier, is under the Genesis Parameters Tab under General.

edited December 1969

Dogz said:
    Thanks for that, Though part of my problem might be the the chair had its normals were inverted on import (not sure, ill need to double check)
    That said, I think some morphs is probably the best and most realistic looking option for the task at hand, only downer being that they are not dynamic, but its not the end of the world.

Oh, yeah...normals...I forgot about that. reversed normals play royal hell with the collisions.

I was using a push modifier on an item of clothing I just made, that I didn't realize was flipped...the greater the 'push' the deeper it got buried!...hmmm...I wonder if that can be used intentionally...arrows/swords...hmmm....(off to go play with reversed normals on swords...)....

edited December 1969

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Love that sig :)

I LOATH reversed normals... lazy modelling, IMHO

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited December 1969

wancow said:

All I did was I called up Genesis, created a Squere, applied a smoothing modifier to Genesis and told it to collide with the sphere. That's all there is too it. Applying a push modifier is in the same place.

To set the collision, after applying smoothing modifier, is under the Genesis Parameters Tab under General.

Sounds easy enough. I'll try it, thanks!

edited December 2012

wancow said:

this will not work if start with animation.
    that is where we need a physics engine.

Post edited by creativemodelsbe on
  • Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I guess we could export to Blender. Not an easy solution but it is valid.

edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:

if we move to Blender > why daz need invest time to develop dazstudio?

or ask the Blender community to develop a daz friendly content plugin.

let 's keep it just to a studio softbody plugin and leave Blender aside.

if we finally can animate in studio 5 we certainly need tools to get figures alive with more real body and skin motions.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2012

Rayman29 said:

if we move to Blender > why daz need invest time to develop dazstudio?

or ask the Blender community to develop a daz friendly content plugin.

let 's keep it just to a studio softbody plugin and leave Blender aside.

if we finally can animate in studio 5 we certainly need tools to get figures alive with more real body and skin motions.

Or you can use Studio as one part of your pipeline and continue your workflow in a better suited software. Sticking to one software is very limiting and even if your software of choice tries to be the jack of all trades it will only be second tier at everything(or worse).

Not a blender fan myself but for those who want to move over to it I think that is good for them.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

continue your workflow in a better suited software

that sounds as if dazstudio is very bad. :long:

edited December 2012

C'mon don't take it that way. We know Daz Studio is good at certain things. I love it for character creation. But if I wanted to animate I would go elsewhere. If I wanted physics I would go elsehwere and I wouldn't begrudge Daz Studio. If Das studio became so bloated with features I don't need or want that it became hard to make characters and give them clothes I would be upset.

not to say softbody dynamics would ruin studio, but at the same time if there are tools available now for people to use. I think they should look into them.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

C'mon don't take it that way. We know Daz Studio is good at certain things. I love it for character creation. But if I wanted to animate I would go elsewhere. If I wanted physics I would go elsehwere and I wouldn't begrudge Daz Studio. If Das studio became so bloated with features I don't need or want that it became hard to make characters and give them clothes I would be upset.

not to say softbody dynamics would ruin studio, but at the same time if there are tools available now for people to use. I think they should look into them.

if daz would act like a character creation tool
    the missing parts need to be worked out by the developing team.
    thats animate tools included physics and hair + cloth physics.

edited December 1969

It could use cloth physics and hair physics yes. But even without them it's a great character creation tool.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,900
    edited December 2012

I would not mind softbody collision and a new dynamic cloth system but I do not feel that DAZ3D should be the one to make them. DAZ3D is better off concentrating on the core of the program, the CCT and a few other features plus their figures and lettings others who are skilled in different areas create the different plugins for the software. As an example, we have not one but two new hair plugins in the works and one of them maybe uploaded to QA today - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/196886/ - But neither are the work of DAZ3D. A couple years back, someone had begun working on a Bullet plugin for DS but sadly it was never finished.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • edited December 2012

Not simply just "not finished", Mattymanx, but they also went dead silent on the whole thing.
    I suspected then that DAZ had bought them out - I think DAZ is sitting on it - maybe for the supposed animation-friendly DAZStudio 5????

Post edited by davidroystewart.ds_0687f02878 on