Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Beautiful lamps Dave, I think I like the Deco style better but technically, they are all very good.

I'm glad TLBKlaus has taken the trouble to share some of his artworks with us, I recommend taking a peek at his gallery over at DA, some wonderful abstracts on show there and very detailed indeed.

Ariaso also, welcome, I hope you will post some more images directly in this treat, I remember admiring the Spirit of Atlantis on DA already. Good work.

Mermaid, interesting doodle, you can exchange your spheres for metaspheres at any time - perhaps you have already tried? But the render time does go up alarmingly!

Analog-X64, have you had chance to watch the video yet? And if so, will it help to reduce your render times in the future? This abstract looks very good, but the render time is somewhat alarming.

Speaking of alarming render times, another attempt to simulate SSS - render time 2 hours.

SSSagain5.jpg
    700 x 700 - 141K
    edited December 1969

Because of a question that was asked, I decided to make a sequel to the multi-replicate tutorial.

Here it is, Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - multi-replicate 2 - a tutorial by David Brinnen

First image from the tut directly, the second substituting the Bryce sky HDRI for one of Horo's (Puddle1280.hdr)

Twisted_build2.jpg
    637 x 850 - 257K
    Twisted_build1.jpg
    637 x 850 - 237K
  • Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

Because of a question that was asked, I decided to make a sequel to the multi-replicate tutorial.

Here it is, Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - multi-replicate 2 - a tutorial by David Brinnen

First image from the tut directly, the second substituting the Bryce sky HDRI for one of Horo's (Puddle1280.hdr)

Oh there goes my plans for Sunday ;) Off to watch this tutorial and see what I can bang out of it.

Yes I watched your tutorial on render time, excellent and did send you a reply regarding the tutorial.

I think the long render time was due to all the reflective material and the amount of objects in the scene, I did mess with different render settings but wasn't able to reduce the render time. The estimated render time was showing 47 minutes, but when I went to render to disk, it took over night. I started it 9:00PM EST last night and finished sometime early this morning.

edited December 1969

Oh there goes my plans for Sunday ;) Off to watch this tutorial and see what I can bang out of it.

Yes I watched your tutorial on render time, excellent and did send you a reply regarding the tutorial.

I think the long render time was due to all the reflective material and the amount of objects in the scene, I did mess with different render settings but wasn't able to reduce the render time. The estimated render time was showing 47 minutes, but when I went to render to disk, it took over night. I started it 9:00PM EST last night and finished sometime early this morning.

Oh here's a tip, don't use "render to disc". It's not optimised, it's a legacy feature and can be somewhat buggy.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 1969

@Analog-X64 - if I'm not mistaken, Render to Disk only uses one processor in a multi-processor system. Check by opening the task manager.

edited December 1969

@David - very nice reflections in the windows in the render at right. The architecture reminds me of something, but I can't remember ...

edited December 1969

TLBKlaus said:
    ty all, and I'll post some more in a little while...

@Horo ... yes, I made the pieces myself -- the knight's heads are imported from Poser, the rest are made with mostly metaballs and cylinders for the bases.

Then, you're a gifted modeler. Your chess figures look really great.
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited February 2013

Lovely building, David. Of course, Waleed and yourself are obviously going to the same architectural course...hahaaa. Wonder what an interior with an upwards hollow running the full length of the building - same perspective - would look like, and, with light coming inwards?

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Lovely building, David. Of course, Waleed and yourself are obviously going to the same architectural course...hahaaa. Wonder what an interior with an upwards hollow running the full length of the building - same perspective - would look like, and, with light coming inwards?

Well, the shapes occur quite naturally as a result of using multi-replicate, which is nice. Interesting idea to stick the camera inside. I'm rendering something now, I've had to relocate the obscure light radial inside the hollow to give it enough light but even at 64 RPP there is a lot of noise due to the smaller surface area of the light source. I'll try some noise cancellation to cut down on the fire-flies.

First is as is 10 minute render.

Second is with noise filtering in PSP 8.

Twisted_build3_filtered.jpg
    637 x 850 - 186K
    Twisted_build3.jpg
    637 x 850 - 351K
  • TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited February 2013

This one took around 8 hours to render.

@Analog ... I like that a lot, very nice!

Horo said:

@Horo ... yes, I made the pieces myself -- the knight's heads are imported from Poser, the rest are made with mostly metaballs and cylinders for the bases.

Then, you're a gifted modeler. Your chess figures look really great.

@Horo ty very much... the classic Staunton style is perfect for modelling with metaballs, it was mainly a matter of fiddling with the proportions.

Here are some more for your enjoyment... 2 more chess ones, an Aikobot, an abstract, and one from the Nexus series. :D

nexus49wp.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 764K
    simplicity57wp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 2M
    Overtherewp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 631K
    aftermathwp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 446K
    inversionwp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 752K
    Post edited by TLBKlaus on
    edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus I love everything you have posted so far, cant wait to see more :)

@David & Horo: I'm rendering the same scene to disk and All 4 CPu's are at 100% Bryce is using 29MB of Ram Physical Memory usage is only 12%

@Everyone: You are all awesome!! thanks for sharing and inspiring.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Oh, that lamp on the left is perfect. Not that I don't like the chrome one on the right, but the left one not only looks Deco, it looks antique. Nicely done sir. :-)

Thanks Miss B. :)

Twiddling around with it some more, I delved into the more Nouveau style.
    Oh, just lovely. If I were still smoking (gave it up back in '94), I'd agree with Horo about the one on the left. That is just too cool.

I happen to collect Soapstone, and have a cigarette and matchbook holder made out of Soapstone on my coffee table. Of course it's been empty for quite a while. ;-)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

TLBKlaus said:
    Here are some more for your enjoyment... 2 more chess ones, an Aikobot, an abstract, and one from the Nexus series. :D

That first one is wonderful. I'm also a fan of the Staunton Chess pieces. Really well done. ;-)
    edited December 1969

@David - looks great from inside.

@TLBKlaus - The chess figures are really great. Abstract looks good. There are uncountable possibilities to do them. Thae last one, inside a building looks as if there are mirrors involved. Looks great, too.

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Looking really good. There's a moment when I thought someone with large eyes stocked out its tongue to me. (I'm still labouring with filters and lenses - or they labour on me, rather.)

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Really incredible perspective from the inside, (left one is best) David...these kind of remind me of the Burj Al Arab. I imagine a nightime scene, too, would look even better...with lights, rays... etc., running the length. As, too, a top down interior view with the foyer at bottom, and some ants (people) busying themselves below.

TLB...love the structural (last one) work best.

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

I'm tickled that you liked Atlantis so much! :) Really, I am!

The only objects not made in Groboto were the distant dolphin (imported from Poser) and the large sphere (it was two Bryce spheres, and done with Bryce mats :) One sphere was just inside the metal looking one. I think I still have the scene saved somewhere!)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Wow awesome David, thanks. :lol:

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

So today's excuse for not getting on with my Temple model is that I have a friend who owns a 1951 F1 Ford Pickup Truck.
    It's his birthday coming up and his Other half asked me to knock together a party invite for him.

With the help of the good folks in the Car and Bike Lovers thread, I managed to find a model that was close enough, and then I set about Brycifying all the materials before remodelling the front end (headlight assembly and grill), tidying up the wheel arches etc.

Pic one: Rendered in Poser and was how the model started off this morning.
    Pic two: Done and dusted this afternoon.

51CustomTruck.jpg
    700 x 500 - 430K
    50FordTruck.jpg
    735 x 552 - 169K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Nice truck.
    Wasn't Sanford and Son the US version of the UK's Steptoe and Son.

edited December 1969

Just tried my hand at a Bonsai tree. Quite happy with the result apart from the HDRI background.
    The feet on the pot are metaballs.
    No matter what I do I'm still getting jagged lines in the background. Any ideas why would be appreciated.

Bonsai.jpg
    800 x 600 - 308K
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - quite an improvement, I must say.

@StuartB4 - lovely bonsay and great camera angle. Jagged lines in the background: not sure but it looks like an HDRI acquired with a mirror ball. Try to create a specular map, using the highest exponent. It's in the IBL tab. You can also set DOF for the backdrop in the IBL tab and render Premium with DOF. It may help. Though in this size, it is really not that bad.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

I’m new with Bryce and this is my third render, it is a small one but I’m still learning. :)
    I used some brushes and a photo filter.

onderwater_bew_tekst.jpg
    500 x 650 - 217K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    I’m new with Bryce and this is my third render, it is a small one but I’m still learning. :)
    I used some brushes and a photo filter.

What? Third render? Are you kidding? Do you even want to see what my third render looked like? Nah, I dont thin you do!

Fascinating, well done image. Seriously, it looks like someone who is at least intermediate. That means these tutorials are doing a fantastic job of bridging the gap and getting newbies getting fantastic results right away. Amazing!

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much for the feedback on my last render. Taking the feedback I received from various forums, here is a retake with some different materials on the furniture and some minor tweaks to the lighting. To me the scene holds together better, has less of a sharp contrast between the foreground and background. But as always, feedback is appreciated.

David: Thanks a ton. I agree with your assessments on the render. The building outside is to scale, but there is little atmospheric haze to help establish its distance. Indeed, the overall impression is very glossy. I wonder if the new version is any better in that regard? Also, the SSS is beginning to look right. But the smoothing problems are so very obvious. You might need to use a higher resolution Genesis. Remember the Bridge only sends over low resolution Genesis, you need to do manual export to get a full resolution mesh.

Chohole, thanks for alerting me to the Jack Tomalin Thread, posted and will post the revision as well. Also, I really like the stained glass effect in your version of the Deco scene, very nice!

Waleed: Thanks a ton good sir! I wonder when you will get around to doing your first architectural renders of interiors? I'm sure you will have tons of amazing ideas. Fun Fun.

Jamahoney: Hmm, I too struggled with the light on the ceiling, seemed a bit much to me too. In the new version I have altered the fall off from linear to ranged, and adjusted the range to better fit the room. It did lower the highlight on the ceiling a little bit, but not much. The highlight comes from the incoming skylight and from the sunlight bounced up from the floor.

Horo; Yep, the underside is testy for me too. I should probably do a TA render of this to see how well I've done with visual light bouncing, my values could be way off.

Savage: I love verything you do, just want to toss that out there again. I think the lamps look amazing, all of them. I actually like chrome looking items, brilliant all the way! The snake in the sand image looks awesome, seems some filtering was employed to increase contrast and soften focus? The trucks looks awesome. I miss Red Foxx and his crazy son. Didnt know about the British version. Will check into that

TLB Klaus: I love all 5 of those renders. The chess board renders in particular, but the robot Vickie looks cool as well!

Analog: The swirling eye render is very nice, Not surprised it took forever to render. Long render times shouldnt prevent us from going for it anyway. Very nice job!

Deco_Interior_Scene_White.jpg
    1280 x 840 - 1012K
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Thank you Rashad Carter
    I used an underwater tutorial with this one

edited December 1969

Analog: The swirling eye render is very nice, Not surprised it took forever to render. Long render times shouldnt prevent us from going for it anyway. Very nice job!

Thanks for your kind comments, I put together my own little render farm to lessen the pain of long render times :)

I like the new version of your render in addition to the previous version.

edited December 1969

@StuartB4 - lovely bonsay and great camera angle. Jagged lines in the background: not sure but it looks like an HDRI acquired with a mirror ball. Try to create a specular map, using the highest exponent. It’s in the IBL tab. You can also set DOF for the backdrop in the IBL tab and render Premium with DOF. It may help. Though in this size, it is really not that bad.

Thanks Horo. Just been messing with it and got rid of some jaggies. It was only rendered with Normal AA originally but I will
    mess a little more and render with premium.

edited December 1969

@Sasje:

I like that. Reminds me of playing Tomb Raider with my son
    when It first came out. The only game we ever completed all the way through.
    I expect we'll see some more great stuff from you as you progress.

@Rashad Carter:

I like that too. I can't imagine where to start on something like that myself.
    I have tried a room full of stuff before but every time they look like a 4 year old did them.

This discussion has been closed.