Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Have you been tie dying shirts? Love the color and resulting pattern.

@Rareth: At first I liked the first image because if made me wonder what was in the shadow direction. But upon comparing the second with the first I see now the shadow was a detraction that kept my eyes from following the water to the mountains. Nicely done.

@tlantis: Really like the image. I can believe there is a roaring fire off to the left.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited February 2013

Thanks Guss, you should try the tutorial it was fun to do.

Atlantis and Rareth I like both your images.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited February 2013

Rareth, looks good! I would be hard pressed to distinguish your render from the tutorial scene, I hope you are happy with the quality of the light and will go on to use this approach in your own scenes?

@tlantis, works well, only the whiteness of the forum contradicts the image, it could do with being displaced against a darker background for full effect.

Here's something I was rendering yesterday while I worked. It took about 6 hours to render, incorporates a vignetting filter and a wide angle lens to add distortion. By setting the DOF to the very surface of the lens it is possible to create a curious distorted focus effect where the edges go out and the middle remains sharp. Ideally I'd like this to create some chromatic aberration too - but I've not figured out how to achieve that without splitting the render into several channels.

The materials came from Metals 2.

Edit. The HDRI from something new we have cooked up for March.

The model from Turbo Squid.

It's supposed to look like a tiny cast metal car.

copper_car2.jpg
    1244 x 700 - 328K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Rareth, looks good! I would be hard pressed to distinguish your render from the tutorial scene, I hope you are happy with the quality of the light and will go on to use this approach in your own scenes?

thank you david, yep quite happy with how the lighting turned out, working on redoing a few scenes with the lighting approach from the tutorial.

edited December 1969

New tutorial, with ever rising difficultly over time. So begins really basics and gradually ramps in complexity. See what you think.

Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - breaking down lighting, diffuse, ambient, specular and... by David Brinnen

lighting_basic_complex1.jpg
    889 x 500 - 126K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

ok another landscape scene, from the lighting tutorial,

alien-landscape.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 947K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 871
    edited February 2013

Another mountain scene, influenced by David's tutorial. I hope the shadows are not too dark. I am afraid, I only have a german name for it: "Alpenglühn No. 6".

BTW I am afraid, I can not join this forum as often as I like. Therefore I like to say a general "Thank you" here, for all the kind comments I got for my scenes.

alpengluehn6_800x600.jpg
    800 x 600 - 55K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Great lighting tut, David...have put it into my fav & ref file, as it is one that needs several runs to understand how each works with and against the other.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I went back, yet again to this old scene and changed it again. ANd then , being me, I decided to try some postwork

To_follow_the_way_postworked_copy.jpg
    674 x 900 - 505K
    To_follow_the_way_copy.jpg
    674 x 900 - 399K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Nice Pam, I like the color much better in the second one but overall the scene seems too enshadowed, obscuring the items scattered about in the foreground. If you could reduce the shadow intensity to just a little darker then the first picture but keep the richness of the color then I think it would be better. IMHO

edited December 1969

More like this

To_follow_the_way_postwork_3.jpg
    674 x 900 - 430K
    edited December 1969

I have no idea what this is supposed to be, but, it was fun playing around with the many numerous variations, which Bryce allows.

Somewhere in the subconscious, no doubt, lies an answer ;)

Huh-1.jpg
    533 x 869 - 432K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    More like this

Looks like Constable could have painted that... the light on those trees is stunning.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    More like this

Looks like Constable could have painted that... the light on those trees is stunning.

TY for that. Constable is one of my Fave 2D artists.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I'm not familiar with Constable, but I like that last render very much. The combination of the lighter foreground and the postworked distant trees, mountains and sky is really nice Pam. :-)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    More like this

Oh yes!!!

• Waleed - JordanWaleed - Jordan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    I have no idea what this is supposed to be, but, it was fun playing around with the many numerous variations, which Bryce allows.

Somewhere in the subconscious, no doubt, lies an answer ;)

very beautiful Jay !

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 871
    edited December 1969

@Chohole: Your change really makes a intresting contrast between the lovely background and the not so lovely foreground. I love it.

@Jamahoney: That looks very interesting.

edited December 1969

Cheers, Walleed & Electro ;) Just messing about, really...done in Bryce 7.0 while waiting for a Bryce 6.3 animation to finish.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    More like this

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner. :)

edited December 1969

Indeed.

OK, plodding along with the tutorials... this is number 100 for the latest batch - in case anyone was wondering.

Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - multi-replicate - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Multi_rep1.jpg
    654 x 850 - 199K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Indeed.

OK, plodding along with the tutorials... this is number 100 for the latest batch - in case anyone was wondering.

neato :)

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I posted in these forums, but you know...RL stuff always catches on :)

Here's something I've been playing with. I actually started it some time ago, but only now did I finish it.
    Its rendering was brutal...I wanted one @ 1920x1200 resolution, but Bryce was telling me it was going to take 2 days, so I rendered this smaller version that still took almost a day to complete. That's what I get when I enable TA and use volumetric materials in the same scene :)

I call it "Storm is Coming"

Storm_is_Coming.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 245K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 1969

@David - Turbo Squid looks great.

@Rareth - I like the monochrome look.

@electro-elvis - mountain looks great, interesting sky.

@Pam - last one looks really great. A low sun lights the debris in the foreground beautifully.

@Jamahoney - interesting picture.

@MrSilus - sky and rays look excellent. Terrain looks good, too, the material applied doesn't convince me, but the artist is the judge.

edited February 2013

N1...MrSilus...looks great! Personally, I should like more contrast/darkness, however, as Horo says (which always applies - no matter whom from 'so-called' experiences of a critiquer...etc.,) "the artist is the judge".

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    More like this

Beautiful image... I really love this.

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

@Horo

Thanks! Regarding the material, I wanted a rocky like texture for the slope and grassy on top, but I guess I can tweak it a bit more for a more realistic look.

@Jamahoney

Thanks! I actually tweaked the contrast a bit. The original render is brighter and less contrasty than what I posted here. Maybe once I'm done tweaking the terrain's material a bit more, I can also darken the image a bit and see if I like the final result :)

• Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

Indeed.

I'm good at reading manuals and using them as reference, but I learn best visually and by example. You're not going to believe this, but I had no idea, multi-replicate could be used this way. All the abstract renders I've done with multi-replicate have been done by punching in the values manually and seeing what the end result will be. :)

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

Here's a quick one. I was trying for abstracts, and playing with a few tutorials...

abstr2b.jpg
    1114 x 819 - 536K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Indeed.

I just checked out this video -- did not try it yet. I see a spiral type building similar to Waleed's beautiful renders. I wonder if he uses multi-replicate.

This discussion has been closed.