Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And to follow all these intriguing abstacts and such. One of my boring old landscapes. Needs some tweaks thoug.

And a question. Some of the texture maps for the trees are in .tga format. Is there any advantage to using this format for textures.

Nicely done Pam. That's the type of landscape render I like. I especially like the depth/distance you achieved with the mountain in the back. I'm not sure what you want to tweak, but the "bushes/shrubbery" in the foreground aren't very distinct like the tree is, or is that what you intended?
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited February 2013

Analog-X64, yes there are a few controls to get to grips with in the IBL tab, but nothing that looking at a few of either Horo or my own tutorials on the topic will not quickly demystify. If you post a screen grab of your IBL tab setting I could probably diagnose the problem for you. At a guess you did not use "add to sky" or enough intensity or depending on the HDRI used, it may have benefited from having tone mapping set. Worth learning about, HDRI are versatile tools as I hope my next video will show.

Pam, not a boring landscape, a good one! I would like to see a different sky though - even though I think I made that one... possibly... it's a few years ago now.

Stuart, sound interesting, please feel free to post up the link.

Oh... expanding on the previous video.

Bryce 5 minute scene - recursive abstract HDRI backdrops - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Edit - yes I know, the colours are vile... but as you can see it was done very quickly.

Recursive_HDRI_backdrops1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 603K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And to follow all these intriguing abstacts and such. One of my boring old landscapes. Needs some tweaks thoug.

And a question. Some of the texture maps for the trees are in .tga format. Is there any advantage to using this format for textures.

Very beautiful scene. in regards to TGA, I wouldn't say there is any advantage or disadvantage, TGA (TARGA) is a lossless file format and dates back to 1984. But its still a good format to use, if you have textures in TGA format, just go ahead and use them.

Unless storage space is an issue.

Here is another abstract :)

Abstract10.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 267K
    edited December 1969

I like that, could be a new button on the Bryce interface!

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Ok David, thanks.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited February 2013

Stuart...hmmm...it's like Vangelis (aka: Bladerunner etc.,) meets "2001: A Space Odyssey :)

Edit: "My God, it's full of stars!"

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969
    edited February 2013

Awesome backdrop, I like it. Could be used standalone in some kind of Photoshop project.

Another Abstract :)

abstract2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Analog-X64 on
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

To make Bryce look a bit like Cinema 4D?
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Very nice Pam, I could deal with that kind of boring. :)

edited December 1969

LOL Don't go insulting my Bryce Render calling it a Cinema 4D Look. ;)

Just for that comment, I get to abuse you with another one of my abstracts.

Abstract12.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 501K
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

LOL Don't go insulting my Bryce Render calling it a Cinema 4D Look. ;)

Just for that comment, I get to abuse you with another one of my abstracts.

That abstract looks less like Cinema 4D. Well done :)
    Where is the thumbs-up emoticon :)

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Oh we're back to doing abstracts again?

yaabstract.jpg
    578 x 578 - 125K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Oh we're back to doing abstracts again?

Just me :)

I like the one you posted.

• edited December 1969

JUST BRYCE! - An Other Experiment.

Sorry to interrupt, but I just finished a render (05.07 GMT)

I sat down at 08.40(ish) this morning and imported a (Curse me if you will) DS model into Bryce. It was that old ruins model that they gave away as a freebee, god, sometime last year. Anyway, I imported it, ungrouped it, and stripped everything except the walls, and started building around that. (Everything else is Bryce, and what comes packaged with it.)

Here's the result...I'd appreciate tips and constructive criticism, more than "Yeah nice" :o)

Regards,

A slight;ly intoxicated, and very weary...BOB

Ruins_lost_day_01.png
    1114 x 859 - 2M
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Pam: Like the look of the image. And it doesn't look boring.

@Analog: Those abstracts are real interesting. Nicely done.

@Rareth: That object looks like a pin of some kind. It looks nice.

@Bob: Like the results of that image.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited February 2013

Just a quick Sunday morning render to relax with before I have to go out and do another gig.

This one started with the sky... then it was a no brainer deciding what would compliment it... Strangely enough I had to boost the Bryce sun's Diffuse to 480! :gulp:

MoodyClamSeasALT.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 313K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Bob About said:
    JUST BRYCE! - An Other Experiment.

Sorry to interrupt, but I just finished a render (05.07 GMT)

I sat down at 08.40(ish) this morning and imported a (Curse me if you will) DS model into Bryce. It was that old ruins model that they gave away as a freebee, god, sometime last year. Anyway, I imported it, ungrouped it, and stripped everything except the walls, and started building around that. (Everything else is Bryce, and what comes packaged with it.)

Here's the result...I'd appreciate tips and constructive criticism, more than "Yeah nice" :o)

Regards,

A slight;ly intoxicated, and very weary...BOB

Yeah nice - you know. OK, you've got quite a large featureless shadow region there, to combat this in the simplest way possible, in the sky lab, turn the sun off as a visible object. In IBL create a half sky HDRI from the existing sky using "use sky". Use render in scene to see your scene from the perspective of the camera. Then increase the HDRI effect until the shadows are filled in a bit. Then switch the sun back on in the sky. Enable the sunlight. And increase the diffuse of the sun to double what you already have. So if default 100 try 200. Make certain that you have global ambient set to 0,0,0 as wells as skydome colour 0,0,0. And sun/moon shadow intensity set to 100%. There... that's my two pennorth.

edited December 1969

Just a quick Sunday morning render to relax with before I have to go out and do another gig.

This one started with the sky... then it was a no brainer deciding what would compliment it... Strangely enough I had to boost the Bryce sun's Diffuse to 480! :gulp:

Beautiful render Dave, but is it me or is the horizon slightly on the piss?

edited December 1969

Beautiful render Dave, but is it me or is the horizon slightly on the piss?

Yes, it must be you that's on the piss. :lol:

The horizon is cock on, but I can see how it may look like it's not.
    The ocean blending with the sky on the right of the picture, the island on the left, plus the general diagonal of the ripples and the wake of the boat do make it look slightly lop sided.

edited December 1969

Meanwhile... Vicky with big hair and wings... lots of transparency maps on this one making the render painfully slow.
    As a result I only rendered her at 4RPP (shown actual size) she took 4 hours!

If this speculative design turns into a paid job, I'll invest the day or two it'll take to render her better.

EmoAngelLogo.jpg
    1276 x 650 - 470K
    edited December 1969

Excellent work as usual Dave and honestly I've not had anything to drink yet!

Here's a short experiment.

Horo's gigantic wide angle lens - an animation within a lightprobe made in Bryce - by David Brinnen

Anim_hot_lines1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 359K
  • mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

The Song is Over...

Nothing fancy, no hdri, no ta, just a couple radial lights (one inside the bulb and one infront of, and between, the lamp and the girl).Default bryce sky at night. Soft shadows enabled. Hope you like it.

songovera2.png
    836 x 622 - 1M
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

2 day

2_1713_B.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 272K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Both of those images are really nice.

@David: Must be too much sci-fi, but that looks like someone trying to pass through to another dimension. Really looks good.

@mx: Love the shadow and the lighting. She looks a bit dejected.

@bigh: Nice image.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - island and sailboat render looks fine. I like how the horizon blends into the sky. Angle Heart looks great, too.

@David - looks great. Been busy the last two days, working on HDRIs, time is running away.

@mx42b - very nice scene. Skin is difficult in Bryce, lacking SSS. Try to give her some specularity. Skin may not look that dry.

@bigh - good to see another render from you.

edited December 1969

Horo, yes I know exactly what you mean about time running away... still playing catch up with last weeks emails.

Jamie, thank you, probably yes... I too like a bit of SF.

mx42b, well composed scene, the vase looks like it might be a bit "a glow" and without SSS it's tricky to do anything with skin... but getting the models wrapped around one another, you've done a good job.

Bigh, interesting mixture of organic and rigidly geometric forms. I see a bare tree but on closer inspection it looks like a machine.

Right... first render, the faces... I wanted to get into the uncanny valley, I used this effect,

Bryce 5 minute effect project - fluorescent electron edge - a tutorial by David Brinnen

combined with the hdr made here,

Bryce 5 minute scene - recursive abstract HDRI backdrops 2 - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Tori's face on Vicky, obscure lighting and some specular to drive the edge effect. The aim was to create something plastic/skin like in mask form.

Image two. Dug the anaglyph lens system out for a little experiment - still can't get it working with DOF I'm sorry to report, so here's the render without DOF. Note, you will need red/left cyan/right 3D viewing glasses to see this image, otherwise don't complain if it does not make sense to you - you have to use the right coloured glasses.

And finally...

A new tutorial Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - a 5 minute video on obscure AA topics - by David Brinnen short and to the point. It's an obscure topic, so not for everyone. No image supplied, it is just a detail - you could use Bryce for years without know about this particular Easter egg and be no worse off for it. But the AA controls possibly will be of more use to people who have difficulty with long render times.

06_anaglyph1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 405K
    Face_up1.jpg
    1066 x 600 - 355K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 1969

I like how the upper left corner of the nearest cube just protrudes a bit out of the picture. Those masks are somehow a bit creepy. A factory of humans, or just dolls?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OK maybe a silly question, and you will all look askance at me for having to ask, but is the Bryce render engine a biased or unbiased render engine. :question:

edited February 2013

chohole said:
    OK maybe a silly question, and you will all look askance at me for having to ask, but is the Bryce render engine a biased or unbiased render engine. :question:

Now that's a hot topic! Biased so far as I know.

Edit: panoramic 360 render through Horo's giant wide angle lens.

Thanks Horo, creepy is good - creepy is what I was aiming for!

Face_up_through_GWL1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 930K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
This discussion has been closed.