Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Thank you PJF, well I suppose I'll do both then and people can pick and choose what they like. Practice will eventually improve my presentation skills, but it is a constant battle not to say um... a lot.

Nice work on the temple Dave,

and I will also take this opportunity to welcome mcloweryjr.

Thank you also to Jamie, Miss B and silverdali for your kind remarks. Now if I can only figure out how to persuade Renderosity to let me on their site...

I'll start the usual battle with the login.

Edit... yup that's one beastly looking beast! Did you make him yourself?

Your presentation skills are fine, if I had to criticize anything I'd say it's your familiarity with Bryce. You know it so well and know how to move thru it so quickly that it's hard to tell what you clicked to get to where you are and some of us have to keep replaying parts to try to figure out what exactly you clicked. This isn't helped by the fact that some of the controls Bryce has to click on are so small they're easy to miss. Personally I think your videos would suffer if you tried to leave out some of the things you get into that aren't strictly on how to do the specific task being described by the video. That extra info is like....value added content :)

edited February 2013

Horo said:
    One of the few sites I have registered to and contribute an artwork at irregular intervals. But I can at least log.in swiftly.

Just to weigh in on the login thing, my only problem with logging in at Renderosity is remembering my login. I go there so infrequently that it's difficult for me to remember. Of course advancing in age doesn't help the memory issue either. :)

That being said, nice render silverdali

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 1969

Just to weigh in on the login thing, my only problem with logging in at Renderosity is remembering my login. I go there so infrequently that it's difficult for me to remember. Of course advancing in age doesn't help the memory issue either. :)

That's why I have a box of cards where I've noted all credentials. The brain is for thinking, not for remembering. Memory chips are cheaper than processors.
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Have you considered becoming a vendor? Seriously, with that latest render it's starting to take on the look of a product someone might buy and it's definately a better looking product then some things I've seen sold in the past.

As flattered as I am to think that people would possibly want to buy my stuff, if you saw the mess that is the wiremesh and saw the unfathomable "group 435" lists and "cube 658" selections with only the occasional one that I've been bothered to give a unique name to, you'd understand why my stuff wouldn't be commercially viable... besides I also have my forum signature to think about. :-)

But never say never as they say (who ever "they" are).

edited December 1969

Have you considered becoming a vendor? Seriously, with that latest render it's starting to take on the look of a product someone might buy and it's definately a better looking product then some things I've seen sold in the past.

As flattered as I am to think that people would possibly want to buy my stuff, if you saw the mess that is the wiremesh and saw the unfathomable "group 435" lists and "cube 658" selections with only the occasional one that I've been bothered to give a unique name to, you'd understand why my stuff wouldn't be commercially viable... besides I also have my forum signature to think about. :-)

But never say never as they say (who ever "they" are).

Well I don't think the average person who buys models made for Bryce would worry so much about that as you might think. I think the people likely to buy objects modeled for Bryce just want something decent looking to plunk down in their scene. It's my opinion that the ones who might notice the things you mentioned more are the ones who would be inclined to make things themselves rather then buy them.

Also I didn't mean you should sell that particular item although given the number of positive replys it could be worth considering. Also that particular model wasn't designed with the intent to be a commercial product, If it was I'm sure you would figure out a way to make it more easily managed and worked with. Anyway it's just a thought, as for your signature I'll leave you with a fairly well known saying, "Nothing is constant but change" :)

edited December 1969

... if you saw the mess that is the wiremesh and saw the unfathomable "group 435" lists and "cube 658" selections with only the occasional one that I've been bothered to give a unique name to, ..

Which is, in fact, a problem. Even though LHD may be quite right in assuming that (most) people don't care fooling around with a purchased prop, in order to get it accepted by DAZ 3D, all elements need to be named. Either plan ahead (I seldom do) or waste a lot of time figuring out which part is which and what the most appropriate name would be (that's how I waste a lot of time). Nevertheless, the quality of your model itself would almost certainly qualify.
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

If you have an account on Renderosity it's easy to share with others without them having to log in first.

Just copy this link and change the user name at the end to the one you use as your Renderosity user name.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=StuartB

In this case just change the StuartB to your own user name that you use on the Renderosity site.
    Give the link to whomever you want to see your images and they can paste it in to their browser address bar.
    it will go straight to the account holders Gallery. No login required by the viewer.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

That’s why I have a box of cards

Yeah, that's similar to what I have too, but it's just a list - site name, username, password - all printed out on a piece of paper stuck to my wall.

Guess how many I have...just counted them - 26. You can see why I hate this login in thingy, as not all are updated automatically, especially if you're had a break in between using them.

Jay

edited December 1969

If I switch a light on in a completely dark room anything in the room has a shadow.
    Why doesn't Bryce do that.

Here's 2 images, 1 with the sunlight, and 1 without but with 1 light.
    Why are there no shadows on the second one?
    The lights only seem to generate shadows when the Sun/Moon shadows button is enabled in the Sky lab.

Untitled1WithoutSunWithlight.jpg
    500 x 375 - 29K
    Untitled1WithSun.jpg
    500 x 375 - 75K
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    If you have an account on Renderosity it's easy to share with others without them having to log in first.

Just copy this link and change the user name at the end to the one you use as your Renderosity user name.

In this case just change the StuartB to your own user name that you use on the Renderosity site.
    Give the link to whomever you want to see your images and they can paste it in to their browser address bar.
    it will go straight to the account holders Gallery. No login required by the viewer.

I tried StuartB but it doesnt let me in and share anything.
    Are you sure I have to use SuartB or better StewardB?
    Do I have to use a special password?
    edited February 2013

StuartB4 said:
    If I switch a light on in a completely dark room anything in the room has a shadow.

The lights only seem to generate shadows when the Sun/Moon shadows button is enabled in the Sky lab.

Maybe you have cast shadows switched off for your light.

Stupid shadows LOL...

bloop_112.jpg
    797 x 597 - 23K
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited February 2013

StuartB4 said:

It's a bit confusing, but the sun/moon shadow value actually affects all shadows.
    I always have this value set to 100. Any less can slow render times down.

And to disable to the sun, just use the 'disable the sun' button in the right hand panel of the sky lab.

If you don't want to use sun light at all in a document;
    Open a new document.
    Set all of the colour pallets in the sky tab options to black.
    Set haze and fog to 0.
    Make sure shadows are set to 100.
    Turn off the sun.

Go to render settings and choose 'premium' with True Ambience switched on (4RPP is fine for this) and render.
    You should have a totally black render. If there is any light still getting into the scene, find out which setting is to blame, rinse and repeat until you get you a totally black render.

That's your starting point to build your lighting from.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited February 2013

StuartB4 said:

This is just a guess here but perhaps because Bryce isn't just a room the size of your document it's a world that goes well beyond the document size and the light properties behave similarly? The second image looks like what you would get if it was the middle of the night and the sun was completely not visible and you flashed a light on something. Although there would be shadows from the light but you have that off so you get an abnormal effect because you can't shut off shadows in the real world but you can have it where there is no sun or moon visible. To have it differently would require another option to have a light's shadow controlled by a seperate switch. Which seems kind of redundent why not just have the sun/moon shadow option apply to the light? Especially since there are options for having the sun and moon not turned on but still have the shadows turned on. Why take it further and create a scenario where you might have sun and moon shadows turned off but light shadows turned on?

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@eireann: Stuart said if you have an account with Renderosity, where you see his name in that link, replace it with the username you use on Renderosity. If you don't have an account with Renderosity then you'd have to create a new account so you can create a username. Hope this helps.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Stuart,
    Savage64 describes it perfectly. The Sun/Moon Shadows in the Sky Lab is the master shadow switch. The Sky Lab sun shadow setting informs all other "point lights" in a Bryce scene. In the Light Lab you can see shadow settings for individual lights, but these lights take their maximum values from the Sky Lab. So if you set the Sun Moon shadows to 50%, then set shadows for an individual light to 100%, half of the light will still bleed through because the maximum value allowed in the sky is only 50%. So I tend to think of the Light Lab shadows as showing the percentage of total shadow intensity in the sky lab. The only way to get 100% opacity from a point light is to set the sun to 100% and the individual light to 100%. Point Lights are pretty much all lights except for True Ambience. IBL is made from clusters of multiple point lights, so IBL too is affected by the sun/moon shadow setting. Light Domes, 3D Fills are also cluster light forms made from multiple point lights and so is also affected by the sun/moon shadows.

edited December 1969

Or, maybe, the object is set to cast no shadows.

CastSh.gif
    636 x 506 - 81K
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:

Works a treat! Thanks for that. Here's mine: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=BryceHoro

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Ah, that explains why I couldn't find you, I just looked for Horo

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @eireann: Stuart said if you have an account with Renderosity, where you see his name in that link, replace it with the username you use on Renderosity. If you don't have an account with Renderosity then you'd have to create a new account so you can create a username. Hope this helps.
    OIC, I thought he wanted us to use his name.
    No, I dont have an account at renderosity and I dont plan to get one.
    Maybe we can create a group and share one account. ? ! . ?
    I think sharing is better than always having one account on your own.
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Off topic...but what is 'Enchanced Bump'...a typo?

edited December 1969

Thanks very much everyone for the explanation about the light/shadow.
    I'm still learning and now have something else to think about and tinker with.

@Horo- Glad the link worked for you. Just tried yours and it works fine from here.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 500
    edited February 2013

Opps - need to read posts more carefully...

I never noticed the misspelling - the should of course be "Enhanced Bump".

Post edited by Dan Whiteside on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

Sounds interesting maybe a hybrid between enchanted and chance so it may work by magic, or then again it may not

edited February 2013

funny reflections.

aaaa1.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 66K
    aaaa.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 85K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Jamahoney said:

Sounds interesting maybe a hybrid between enchanted and chance so it may work by magic, or then again it may not

Sounds good to me :)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@eireann: Those two images are rather interesting. At least I hope it's just the images and not my eyes. :-)

edited February 2013

GussNemo said:
    @eireann: Those two images are rather interesting. At least I hope it's just the images and not my eyes. :-)
    Happy you liked it.
    I tried something like David and Horo's super wide angle lens.
    I did it with a positive sphere, a negative cube inside the sphere and I put it around the camera.
    The refractive index: 1.

The third pic is like the one of my previous post, only one wide angle lens outside of the other.
    I think if I would optimise it a bit it could be as good as Davids's pics but I am afraid David has more patience than me. I dont know how Horo and David did it, but this is my clumsy solution :)

ab4.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 75K
    ab1d.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 65K
    ab1b.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 76K
    ab1a.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 130K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Impressive, yes you are almost there, the last bit of tweaking and adjustment always takes the longest. Part of the problem is the "granularity" of Bryce's units. If you want to fit lenses inside the camera (a good idea if you want to avoid collisions with other objects in your scene) you need to build very small units and that in turn requires very precise placement of parts and that in turn brings you up against the precisions limitations.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

New tutorial, might be useful for those of you who don't yet know your way around all the key sky lab settings. Bryce 25 minutes on landscape lighting basics - working with legacy skies - by David Brinnen

Lake1.jpg
    1364 x 751 - 455K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331
    edited February 2013

New tutorial, might be useful for those of you who don't yet know your way around all the key sky lab settings. Bryce 25 minutes on landscape lighting basics - working with legacy skies - by David Brinnen
    Say David, Thank you kindly for all of the Bryce Tutorial Links over in my neck of the woods. It's going to take watching a few times just to try and wrap my head around how bizarre that interface is. Carrara is so... Pow - there you go. This is like looking at a pencil drawing of a ghost, or something! :-/
    But watching your first set in the list - two part desert landscape, has really opened my eyes to the fact that Bryce is so self reliant. It just seems like you can just sit right in Bryce and create every little thing from scratch in there. Same goes for Carrara, but in entirely different ways. Quite the adventure... question is... will I be man enough? :grrr:
    A small offering from the C side. Hope to see you all again soon, with a Bryce render of my own! :coolhmm:
    DR_TLF.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 197K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
This discussion has been closed.