New zips are great, but . . .

2»

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    If textures, data files etc were all in a single folder for a single object, installing/uninstalling would be drag and drop.

Unfortunately, while DS may be able to handle something close to that, Poser can't...a lot of the problems are from trying not to break compatibility of the content.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,182
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    tsarist said:
    Khory said:
    Personally, I hate the zips. If I download an older product that has already been zipped I groan with displeasure.

Me too.
    I never really liked the idea of zips. Hate when I have to get them from Rendo, RDNA, etc. On my computer zips have to be loaded manually.
    For me the BitRock installer was perfect.

I don't know what computer you are using, but on mine I find the zips much easier to work with than the installers, where you have to click through and select between a lot of options for every single file.

With the zips (if they're packed normally, i.e. without DAZ' Content folder), using WinRAR I can batch install 50 items in no time, with a few clicks. Installing the same content with the installers would probably take an hours manual and frustrating work.

I agree, If the installers were click click done I'd be fine with them but there is the double click to invoke the process, a few seconds to handshake with security, (which is just stupid there seems to be no way to tell Windows to ignore exe's but I guess they can be a security issue at times if your not careful. I am careful) the ok'ing the blah blah blah license and then .... well you get the idea. It's about 10 clicks if you don't want yet another uninstaller added to the Start menu and that store icon added to the desktop. It's way over the top and more than a little annoying for most of us. Bring on the zips!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

I agree, If the installers were click click done I'd be fine with them but there is the double click to invoke the process, a few seconds to handshake with security, (which is just stupid there seems to be no way to tell Windows to ignore exe's but I guess they can be a security issue at times if your not careful.

Don't get me started on that...it's MS's own fault to begin with and then they 'fix' it by going to the other extreme...

Anyone else ever notice, that while it is nearly impossible, as a user to actually install anything on Windows (since Vista) without jumping through a bazillion hoops, machines are STILL being infected with ease? That all these so-called 'security' measure have done is make it harder on the users?

• noquiexisnoquiexis Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

I use Internet Explorer 8. I had IE9, but did not like the look and feel of it. IE8 "double zips" some (but not all) of the ZIP files at http://www.daz3d.com. I had to install Google Chrome (which I never did like) to get these ZIP files from DAZ. I have NEVER had a problem downloading ZIP files from any othe website.

When I did get the ZIP files, I just placed a copy in my "F:\DAZ Studio 4\Studio\My Library" directory and used WinZip to extract them. Only one time did a ZIP file from DAZ create unnecessary and redundant subdirectories. Once I manually moved these files and directories to their proper locations, everything was hunky-dorey.

Some of the new README files have interesting notations: "Resolved Issues" and "Update Notes" where something was fixed or "updated to the new standard". I have to wonder if these models will work with "the new standard", if we can get updated versions of the models that we have already bought, or if we have to buy new models to go with the new DAZ Studio 4x engine.