Build Your Own Hair Kit?

Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 356
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Is anyone aware of any vendor product that lets you build your own hairstyle?

For example, a product that comes with a basic hair cap that you can add individual clumps of poseable hair strands to effectively "make your own" look/style. If there is nothing like this--someone should look into it as there is probably a market for it.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,935
    edited December 1969

Not that I'm aware of. A lot of them come with morphs that you can semi style it but I don't know of any that you can build.

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

Dang, I wish I knew how to make hair props--I'd make this to sell (LOL).

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,934
    edited December 1969

Not quite as open-ended as a make-your-own kit, but these two have options
    http://www.daz3d.com/total-updo-ii
    http://www.daz3d.com/total-updo

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited January 2013

Fragg1960 said:

For example, a product that comes with a basic hair cap that you can add individual clumps of poseable hair strands to effectively "make your own" look/style. If there is nothing like this--someone should look into it as there is probably a market for it.

"Look at my Hair" does this. You create your hair, style it, and then render it. You can even export it to a prop.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

With the advent of Look at My Hair and the Garibaldi hair plug-ins I will never buy another hair product again as I am always disappointed in what I get for the money when it comes to hair props...even the more expensive ones fall short for me.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    With the advent of Look at My Hair and the Garibaldi hair plug-ins I will never buy another hair product again as I am always disappointed in what I get for the money when it comes to hair props...even the more expensive ones fall short for me.

Sure you will... they will just be Look at my Hair "presets" instead of prop/figure hairs. Trust me on this, there are good things coming in the LAMH space... :-)

Kendall

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,068
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Sure you will... they will just be Look at my Hair "presets" instead of prop/figure hairs. Trust me on this, there are good things coming in the LAMH space... :-)

Kendall

LAMH killed the hairmaking star:)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited January 2013

Szark said:

KendallLOL Hey I am sold Kendall and was a while ago.

Zev0 LOL We are showing our age now.

Post edited by Szark on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

PhilC has pne here for Poser : http://www.philc.net/HairDesigner.php#top

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    LAMH killed the hairmaking star:)

Oh-a oh

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,702
    edited December 1969

PhilC has pne here for Poser : http://www.philc.net/HairDesigner.php#top

I Bought that at one point. Never really did anything with it. I remember the textures that it came with not being the most stunningly beautiful in the world. However, if you coupled it with something like biscuits hair texture resource you could probably come up with some pretty nice stuff (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/biscuits-hair-merchant-resource/77613).

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,504
    edited December 1969

Neftis hairkits also have build your own style options, fantastic!

And in the works, I am working on some mix and match hair kits but they will require LAMH plugin because they use the real hair. Might do obj hair but then it wont have morphs.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Kendall

not from the size of the files coming from Look at My Hair - they are huge

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,619
    edited December 1969

Sorry if I'm "intruding", but I just wanted to show our latest shader implementation (coming up with in next 1.1 LAMH update), featuring "Light Scattering from Human Hair Fibers". Here are some test renders done on a basic hair style model.
    The number of parameters available in the shader will allow to customize and set light scatter to match all tastes, believe me...

light_brown_3.jpg
    790 x 868 - 298K
    blond.jpg
    790 x 868 - 310K
    red_brown.jpg
    790 x 868 - 307K
    light_brown.jpg
    790 x 868 - 312K
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,619
    edited December 1969

As time allows we'll post some more "human" renders to show what the new shader can do...

blonder.jpg
    790 x 868 - 307K
    copper.jpg
    790 x 868 - 319K
    light_brown_2.jpg
    790 x 868 - 301K
    edited January 2013

bigh said:
    Szark said:

Kendall

not from the size of the files coming from Look at My Hair - they are huge

The current version of LAMH uses uncompressed files. The update uses compression. The files are significantly smaller.

EDIT: Even uncompressed most of the presets I have (and I have a LOT) are less than 5M in size. Most range in the KB range. How is that huge?

Even the EXCELLENT 22 Shavegroup example with excessive numbers of hairs from one of our testers (Hi, A!) is only about 6M uncompressed. Please provide some numbers of huge preset sizes.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,382
    edited December 1969

Fragg1960 take a look at this thread you can try out the beta and get an idea of what this sort of product can do.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9943/

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 356
    edited January 2013

Wow--didn't know either of these products even existed. Thank you all for your useful feedback.

I'm reading up on some of these products to see which one will fit my needs. At the moment I'm most interested in how any of these handle long hair.

Do both "Look At My Hair" and "Garibaldi" require DAZ 4.5? I'm currently running 4.0 Pro.

Post edited by Fragg1960 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,934
    edited December 1969

Yes, 4.5 is the first 4.x with a stable SDK for developers to aim at - 4.0 kept changing the SDK as it was updated, which is a major part of the reason that some third party plufgins were not updated initially.

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

I can't say I really like the look of those LAMH human hair promos sorry :(

....but I do think there have been some amazing renders done with the Garibaldi Hair Beta so I definitely encourage people looking for ultra realism in human hair and make your own hair style capabilities to check out the GH Beta and the GH Beta thread. It's even great for animal fur as you will see with some of the animal renders posted recently.

Hopefully it will be released soon... but the Beta is fun to play with and I think people don't mind waiting as it is getting more stable and more functional with each new Beta release.... I certainly have been loving playing with it.

.....and I must say I am in no way connected with the development of the GH plug-in... just a user who has been installing updated Betas every couple of weeks and loving what I am getting out of it!

:)

GH Beta thread
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/9943/

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,405
    edited December 1969

Fragg1960 said:

Like others have mentioned, LAMH & Garibaldi would be good choices. This one (http://www.daz3d.com/hairdresser-modular-hair) might be useful when you don't want to put the time into doing everything from scratch, but from the promo pics, I can't tell if it's really suited for doing realistic hair. For myself, I'm leaning toward either (or both...) of the other two.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

riftwitch said:

This one (http://www.daz3d.com/hairdresser-modular-hair) might be useful when you don't want to put the time into doing everything from scratch, but from the promo pics, I can't tell if it's really suited for doing realistic hair.

Thanks for the link. I originally had this in my wishlist but I removed it when I got excited about the hair plugins. Frankly I wish I would have picked up the Modular Hair when it was on sale because even with the plugins this should be a faster way to do anime styled hair. I forgot its name so I've been having a hard time finding it.

edited December 1969

Thanks, I have the first two. I don't use them much though. I've been thinking about modifying them so they can be more useful though. The third one is new to me. thanks.

edited December 1969

if you have the anime doll kit, you can use parts of that and easily mix and match, and i use parts of hair such as a LOT of cookie and chip hair in combination.

I have a lot of toony mix and match in the works with LAMH. It will be prop or smart prop tho i'm not sure what figure to make it for. A prop at least, it could be smoothed with DS4.

If you have something you want, please send me suggestions. I could make hair all day long. LOL. think i have a secret calling as a 3d hair stylist and never knew it all along....

edited December 1969

The problem I have with a lot of the older anime hair sets (the mix and match variety) is that they aren't quite "right". But I had an epiphany this weekend when working with LAMH. I could just make morphs for the anime hair pieces I have and then I could fix the bits I didn't like so much.

The other idea I had was just to make some hair from scratch in a modeling package, which I've been putting off for a while but now realize is probably best way to go for main characters.

But since I do a lot of one off characters a quicker solution for them is needed, so mixing and matching bits should work.

When you say as a prop, do you mean your exporting to OBJ?

edited December 1969

yes, and then saving as a prop :)

edited December 1969

Hmm, how much hair are you exporting? WHen I did that even simple stuff was pretty heavy system resource wise.