Build Your Own Hair Kit?

2»

Comments

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,504
    edited December 1969

It depends, for anime hair, so many fine strands aren't' necessary!! I increase the hair strand size a great deal, and then you don't need anywhere near as much hair...

that said i recently exported some 1,000,000 hair strands for a picture I was working on *cough cough* :P

oh yeah, and i exported it 3 times in the same scene. yeah.

Granted i'm on a 16 gb ram machine but yea. HAH. Alex gave me some tips. :P Hee hee.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

It depends, for anime hair, so many fine strands aren't' necessary!! I increase the hair strand size a great deal, and then you don't need anywhere near as much hair...

that said i recently exported some 1,000,000 hair strands for a picture I was working on *cough cough* :P

Granted i'm on a 16 gb ram machine but yea. HAH. Alex gave me some tips. :P Hee hee.

Thats why I asked, I've knocked the strands down a lot and bumped up the strand size as much as it will go.

1million strands for renderman or OBJ? I couldn't imagine churning that many out in OBJ format.

edited December 1969

Thats why I asked, I've knocked the strands down a lot and bumped up the strand size as much as it will go.

1million strands for renderman or OBJ? I couldn't imagine churning that many out in OBJ format.

Tee hee. I imported it as an object. Three times.. In one scene. Woops. O.o

This picture here, the hair was all imported as objects. I believe I did something like, 80,000 hair, with size 80 strands? Gosh I wish I could remember exactly...

Isn't it so freakin cool what you can do with making your own hair??? I'm so addicted! I've been googling hair style pictures to get some ideas for a new hair style... Still need ideas :P (HINT HINT) ;)

2sm.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 701K
    edited January 2013

i guess adding more segments to my pieces could help... i never do more than he default 13 because im worried about crashing my machine when i export.

ur process for exporting the hair multiple times is what i did for my 9 tail fox goddess. i did about 60k per export.

be sure to have some antenna hair options since you are looking for hints.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

60 k per export is a lot!! the above hair picture, i used about 80,ooo TOTAL.

what do you mean by segments? the length of the hair?

antenna hair, yes, i know exactly what you mean, things like Love Hina and Beldandy kind of antenna hair?

edited December 1969

60 k per export is a lot!! the above hair picture, i used about 80,ooo TOTAL.

what do you mean by segments? the length of the hair?

antenna hair, yes, i know exactly what you mean, things like Love Hina and Beldandy kind of antenna hair?

For segments I mean in the options at the bottom of the plugin you can change segments, maybe the term is different...Sorry not at the right computer right now. At the default 13, long hair tends to be very harsh and rigid, so I thought that maybe you used more segments so the hair could look smoother. Or did you smooth it in DS, but that seems like it would add a ton of geometry!

Yep and Yep on the antenna hair.

edited December 1969

oh yes, short hair i go with defaultl, curls much more, like 60-100, and that long hair i think i had 30. enough for some flair but not really needing big loopy curls.

edited December 1969

oh yes, short hair i go with defaultl, curls much more, like 60-100, and that long hair i think i had 30. enough for some flair but not really needing big loopy curls.

thx, will try when I get home.

edited December 1969

posted this in another thread but wanted to share what kind of human hair styles you can make with LAMH... not just long flowing or short spikey or curly!!!

:)

CharlieHairSM.jpg
    927 x 1000 - 563K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Thanks! I didn't know the Pigtails ...
    *wanders off to put them in the free hair list*

oh i didn't even think of that! :) Thanks ^^

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

@belovedalia, your renders are the only ones I have seen so far with decent human hair, congrats on that :).

Have you used the GH Beta? Now that it too supports OBJ export I would be curious to hear a comparison from someone who has been getting good results with LAMH to see how they think the two stack up.

... I am too biased at this stage and I also haven't grabbed LAMH so I can't do my own comparissons.

You have a great and genuine enthusiasm for LAMH which I have only really seen from the developers so far so this is encouraging. :)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

@belovedalia, your renders are the only ones I have seen so far with decent human hair, congrats on that :).

Have you used the GH Beta? Now that it too supports OBJ export I would be curious to hear a comparison from someone who has been getting good results with LAMH to see how they think the two stack up.

... I am too biased at this stage and I also haven't grabbed LAMH so I can't do my own comparissons.

You have a great and genuine enthusiasm for LAMH which I have only really seen from the developers so far so this is encouraging. :)

Hey MD,
    You really should take a trip over to http://furrythings.com to see more of what LAMH can do with Human Hair. I know it is hard to look at "the other side's" stuff, but it may dispel some of your preconceptions about LAMH and human hair.

Just for general information, LAMH now has the Marschner Shader as well. With a complement of new shaders to be announced at a later date.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Hey MD,
    You really should take a trip over to http://furrythings.com to see more of what LAMH can do with Human Hair. I know it is hard to look at "the other side's" stuff, but it may dispel some of your preconceptions about LAMH and human hair.

Just for general information, LAMH now has the Marschner Shader as well. With a complement of new shaders to be announced at a later date.

Kendall

As it is a plugin for DS I am surprised I am being directed offsite to see what can be done with it.

I was hoping to see all the new users who bought into it recently pumping out renders that made me drool so I would go and buy it. that is what I have been missing.

Maybe recent stuff offsite is better than what I have previously seen but the promos posted in this thread were enough to virtually convince me that this was not for me and it has only been the last couple of posts from belovedalia where I have seen a glimmer of hope.

Yes I am currently biased but I own more than one hammer and dozens of screwdrivers so I was quite prepared to buy into this tool... I just have seen nothing very compelling and it is not for want of looking.

I felt shot down in the LAMH release thread when I was asking where all the cool renders were and to see some Reality renders so I have not been back in a while and maybe that is to my detriment.... but I did feel like posting my thoughts after viewing the recent promos for the new hair shader in this thread as they unfortunately didn't do it for me.

I have honestly been looking to be swayed into batting for both sides so to speak but I do expect to see eagerness and enthusiasm from those who have spent before me and some output that I envy.

anyway sorry for airing unpopular opinions I will just go back to lurking I guess.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Hey MD,

Kendall

As it is a plugin for DS I am surprised I am being directed offsite to see what can be done with it.

I was hoping to see all the new users who bought into it recently pumping out renders that made me drool so I would go and buy it. that is what I have been missing.

Maybe recent stuff offsite is better than what I have previously seen but the promos posted in this thread were enough to virtually convince me that this was not for me and it has only been the last couple of posts from belovedalia where I have seen a glimmer of hope.

Yes I am currently biased but I own more than one hammer and dozens of screwdrivers so I was quite prepared to buy into this tool... I just have seen nothing very compelling and it is not for want of looking.

I felt shot down in the LAMH release thread when I was asking where all the cool renders were and to see some Reality renders so I have not been back in a while and maybe that is to my detriment.... but I did feel like posting my thoughts after viewing the recent promos for the new hair shader in this thread as they unfortunately didn't do it for me.

I have honestly been looking to be swayed into batting for both sides so to speak but I do expect to see eagerness and enthusiasm from those who have spent before me and some output that I envy.

anyway sorry for airing unpopular opinions I will just go back to lurking I guess.

Hi, MD.

There was no slight intended in my response to you at all. You said yourself that you had preconceptions of LAMH, and that you were wanting others opinions. We have LOTS of users who, for whatever reason, do not want their images posted on the forums here. Lots of Japanese users, VUE users are really taking to using LAMH, and such. These users are posting their renders to our FB page, as well as to http://furrythings.com, and dA, and other places and some have not been giving the authorization to repost them here. Due to this, I posted the link for your information.

If posting a link to another venue is insulting, then I will apologize for the slight. Nothing other than providing information was intended.

LAMH is a DS product and is exclusively available @ DAZ. Our http://furrythings.com site refers all users back to DAZ to purchase. However, we cannot, and will not, force users to put their images in a venue that they do not wish them to be.

Kendall

edited January 2013

Again, let's just try to keep this positive? No need to repeat the cycle here. :)
    I hold all in the highest regard :)

Oh yeah its Chinese New Year soon, my son's 2nd birthday, and soon to be year of the snake!!! Medusa pictures anyone??? Rawart had that fantastic gorgon and I want to try to make soem snaky hair :D

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the response Kendall and my apologies to belovedalia if she feels that I insulted anyone. I did not criticise anybodies artistic renders only commercial promo images placed by a vendor in a non-commercial thread and I merely stated that these were not compelling me to change my opinion of the product.

I have been wanting a perspective that was removed from the developers perspective... that of regular DS users who had bought the product and I understand that not everyone who makes art wishes to share it in here. It is a pity though as I have followed the product from its early days and was excited by the price when it was released, however I have not purchased it to date. I love the many animal renders that I saw ages ago offsite and I look forward to seeing renders with other cool furred critters done with this tool but I have yet to be wowed by the promotional images of human hair and I did ask to see some Reality renders in the release thread but none were forthcoming before I stopped following it.

I stumbled on this thread and wanted to add my perspective as this community thrives on self education and feedback from other users about how different products render. I have been involved with countless threads where people have asked to see renders to determine if they wanted to buy something and feedback is valuable even when it is negative... so again my apologies if I have offended anyone but my perspective is just another piece of feedback from someone who uses DS to make art and I apologise if I am somewhat underwhelmed by the lack of LAMH DS users championing its use and making me drool on my keyboard and rushing to put it into my cart... that is what I was expecting.

Anyway I do not want to continue to be seen as an antagonist here so I will leave it for others to decide for themselves what to use and others to champion the products they use and love.

edited January 2013

Let me know of a human hair style you'd like to see MangeyDesigner.. I have Reality but sadly it was frustratingly difficult for me to learn to use and I have all but given up. I did receive kind help from the maker but I am just not very clever at learning new things.... LOL. It goes to show that what is "intuitive" for one person is not so intuitive for another as LAMH seems pretty simple for me after I read the tutorial and printed out the shortcuts and taped beside my monitor (because knowing me, I wouldn't remember... I am seriously bad at short term memory). But I would give it another try.... but I warn you that anything I do with reality may look horrible (terrible, no good, very bad, to quote a favorite childhood book) and that is due only to my lack of skill. Just as some of the images you take note with of LAMH are also beginners just figuring out things. And i am often lazy and don't use UE or even shadow lights at all because it slows me down.... and it probably makes my hair pictures look flat and kinda... well creepy???? hah. Well I'm the first to acknowledge that even after 10 years of 3D i'm still so much a "noob".... can't teach an old dog new tricks??? :) Kiddng, I may have some gray hair these days but I'm not THAT old yet... j ust forgetful.

Woops and i started rambling. If i blame my "old age" will ya'all believe it? LOL.

Ok its frustrating when my replies are deleted and they were all totally upbeat and positive and no reason why they were removed. Are positive posts not welcome?:(

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on