Have you seen the new documentation center for ReadMe's?

2»

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I STILL don't know where the readme's are located, no link anywhere. Sigh.

Help / Documentation Centre then readme's from the menu.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited January 2013

Above - the link to Help / Documentation Center (Wiki) - waaaaiiiiit a long time (it's obviously on a slow server) -
    and there on the left side is a link to the Product Readme's.
    Unfortunately the whole server is not only slow, it is down at the moment.

Online Readme's are sooooooo much better.
    *sarcasm off*

Edited to add: I was slower, but only because I waited for the server response!
    ;)

Post edited by Kerya on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,505
    edited December 1969

yeah, i really can't see how Daz thought taking the readme's out of the product download was a good idea at ALL. BAD IDEA in so many ways. ARG.

First check the readme's folder- nope, not that product, must not have it.
    Second, run installer again, check for readme- nope, guess it wasn't in the installer. GRR.
    Third, checked item store page for a link, NOPE. Nada.
    4th, search through forum threads and read through several pages trying to find the answer.
    5th, stumble across a thread about lack of Readme's....

Could Daz make things any less intuitive and less user friendly and less easy to get to?

Btw Kerya, you have better luck than me, page is STILL trying to load.

Sheesh.

C'mon Daz :( Common sense: give us back the readme's!

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited January 2013

A link from the product page to the support page (readme) might help a lot.

If it were up for a vote (which ofc it isn't ;p ) I would vote for this and a link to a forum post in a dedicated topic where each item has it's own thread. It would give people an area to discuss that specific item without cluttering up the product page, and it could be moderated easier then comments on a product page.

A site that had those three items: Product Page, separate discussion area per topic, and separate official support page, all interlinked, would have the makings of the best configured store out there imo.

These with a good linkup of required products and suggested addons, with the bugs worked out and people would be ecstatic ;)

Almost forgot, adding a tagging system to the Gallery that would have a link on the product page showing any Gallery image someone tagged with the product.... woot! Ofc trying to do it all in one software package would be nuts. It would have to be best of breed packages linked to work together to be halfway stable.

As for a downloadable version of the help file, it would be nice if there was a link under the resource area (like templates now) to download that as not everyone wants to download it but those that do, do.

Along the same lines, I finally figured out I don't need to load the metadata file if I'm loading the full product as it's included. The separate metadata file is if one just wants to get/update the metadata itself. It would be nice if there were a link to metadata on the product page resource area as well.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited January 2013

DanaTA said:
    Spit said:
    SKU's are exact and they're even part of the filename.

Really? The only filenames I've seen SKU's in are readme files, and if I have one of those, I won't be looking on the wiki.

Well, yes, the SKU is in the installer filename...if it is new enough. The older products past a certain date don't have the SKU in the filename, they have another meaningless code, the product ID code. Those were at least a little beneficial...the two letter prefix most often indicated the type of product it was, but not always.

an_ for animal, bn_ for bundle, mr_ for morph, tx_ for texture (although sometimes it was a character morph with textures), etc.

Of course, whenever they've recently updated those, they removed that and put the SKU in there instead!

Dana

That should be a clue that the system is being worked on. Don't get your panties in a wad. We say we want change, but when changes start being made, we don't want changes?

Post edited by atticanne on
  • ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

I'll admit that I LIKE being able to find the read-me files easily. That means either a link from the product page or a way of finding it by name. But, a point that I like of them being grouped by SKUs like they are, is that it is easier to find the products that have not yet been release. I am already curious about way too many products. And my mind has started coming up with ideas of what some of them might look like based on the name. I simply went to the last category and started looking. Some days I really hate being curious.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,906
    edited December 1969

Until DAZ (hopefully) get things working in a better way, here's a small utility (Windows only, sorry) that may help out.

Just open a product page in the left browser, click "Get ReadMe" and the readme page will open in the right browser.

http://taosoft.dk/software/rmb-daz/updates/rmb-daz-a0500.zip

If there are problems with page formatting changing the browser compatibility may help, this uilitiy can do that. Just enter the filename "ReadMeBrowserDAZ.exe" in the input field, select the browser mode you want (usually the one marked green) and click "Set Selected mode". It will work for any program using the Microsoft WebBrowser control. In Vista and later you may have to run the program as Administrator for it to work.

http://taosoft.dk/software/wbcm/updates/wbcm-a0502.zip

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,505
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Until DAZ (hopefully) get things working in a better way, here's a small utility (Windows only, sorry) that may help out.

Just open a product page in the left browser, click "Get ReadMe" and the readme page will open in the right browser.

http://taosoft.dk/software/rmb-daz/updates/rmb-daz-a0500.zip

If there are problems with page formatting changing the browser compatibility may help, this uilitiy can do that. Just enter the filename "ReadMeBrowserDAZ.exe" in the input field, select the browser mode you want (usually the one marked green) and click "Set Selected mode". It will work for any program using the Microsoft WebBrowser control. In Vista and later you may have to run the program as Administrator for it to work.

http://taosoft.dk/software/wbcm/updates/wbcm-a0502.zip

Taozen, I think I love you! Thank you for making utilities that make the daz store/wishlist/histories usable again!

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    anikad said:
    I had noticed that, when I went to find product readme's that didn't exist. Instead of tinkering with product name /sku they should spend their time ensuring the readme is available. I bought three products in the past month or so and there are no readme's available. It's not like I installed the items the same day they were released either.

Amen to that! I've recently dealt with one of those...might one of yours be the AirBike? The support person told me he'd bring up the subject at the next meeting with Q&A. Don't know when that is, or if they'll listen.

Dana
    Well it's good to hear they're at least aware of it. So far I'm missing readme's for:
    AirBike
    Faces of Teens
    Teenaged Poses
    Effortless cool for Genesis male

Guess I'll have to raise a support ticket when I finish installing.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I didn't have to be exact about finding products in the wiki ... I just hit ctrl+f and look for part of the filename.
    I am looking for the readme's when I buy things - simultaneously, so I don't have the sku.

The SKU is on the product page--the same number that's in the file name.

Skew.JPG
    474 x 179 - 19K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited January 2013

The store product search is erratic still. I have put in exact titles (as the end up showing up on the product page itself) and not gotten the item many times recently. It's currently better but it waxes and wanes, which is why I have my own link reference to the products.

The current title format DAZ appears to be converting over to is "http://www.daz3d.com/the-product-name" which makes life a lot easier, but occasionally it's hard to guess the last part.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,351
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    DanaTA said:
    anikad said:
    I had noticed that, when I went to find product readme's that didn't exist. Instead of tinkering with product name /sku they should spend their time ensuring the readme is available. I bought three products in the past month or so and there are no readme's available. It's not like I installed the items the same day they were released either.

Amen to that! I've recently dealt with one of those...might one of yours be the AirBike? The support person told me he'd bring up the subject at the next meeting with Q&A. Don't know when that is, or if they'll listen.

Dana

Well it's good to hear they're at least aware of it. So far I'm missing readme's for:
    AirBike
    Faces of Teens
    Teenaged Poses
    Effortless cool for Genesis male

Guess I'll have to raise a support ticket when I finish installing.

Don't know about the others, but the Air Bike turned up a couple of days ago:
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/15451/start