Star Trek Builders Thread!

Comments

• edited December 1969

Don't worry, Moto. I plan on sharing when I get the bugs hammered out. ;-P

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy

I am not a poser user but in studio - each surface has an ambient setting, I am assuming it is same in poser
    have you looked at those setting to see if for some strange reason they have changed and also each surface in studio has a ambient colour (yes spelled right - Canadian, we use real English :P ) , should be the same in poser unless i am really wrong - if that is set to black try a white or light grey maybe.

edited December 1969

Don't worry, Moto. I plan on sharing when I get the bugs hammered out. ;-P

Awesome, is looking really good so far :)

• edited December 1969

mdbruffy,

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but, have you tried setting the primary diffuse color to black and plugging your textures into the secondary diffuse slot?

Sometimes this option works for me.

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited September 2012

mdbruffy,

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but, have you tried setting the primary diffuse color to black and plugging your textures into the secondary diffuse slot?

Sometimes this option works for me.

I've never heard of that one. But at this point, I'v tried everything else.

And MotoTsume, I did try the ambient settings- had them as high as 10 and they did nothing.

Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

Bluebettle, it didn't work. I tried a second time with the alternate diffuse plugged in and EVERYTHING set to white- and the decks still rendered black.
    Let's see, what all have I tried:
    1. increased ambient lighting as high as 10.
    2. used probe lights set as high as 100.
    3. turned diffused color to black and used alternate diffused.
    4. spotlight aimmed at the decks.
    5.pulled up the original scene file- which worked fine last time- and made new material files. applied those files.
    6.changed everything to white that could be changed.

None of the above worked.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm willing to listen. Right now, the only answer I have is a poor work around: save the raw window- which shows the decks- and save a finished render, then use photoshop to add the unrendered decks to the rendered image. It's not an answer I'm happy with, but I don't see any other choice.

edited December 1969

For those joining us late, this is what I'm dealing with.
    Decks rendering black-no matter what I try.
    The other pic is with unrendered decks photoshopped into the render.

decks--WEB.jpg
    894 x 894 - 186K
    Black-decks--WEB.jpg
    894 x 894 - 182K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,405
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Bluebettle, it didn't work. I tried a second time with the alternate diffuse plugged in and EVERYTHING set to white- and the decks still rendered black.
    5.pulled up the original scene file- which worked fine last time- and made new material files. applied those files.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm willing to listen. Right now, the only answer I have is a poor work around: save the raw window- which shows the decks- and save a finished render, then use photoshop to add the unrendered decks to the rendered image. It's not an answer I'm happy with, but I don't see any other choice.

Just out of curiosity does it due with no textures applied
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Just out of curiosity does it due with no textures applied

This is with no textures. The scale is such, that by the time I fit it to my page size you wouldn't see any detail other than the shape of the decks- which right now is lost in the final render.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,900
    edited December 1969

If it is NOT doing it without the space station in the scene, then perhaps you can composite the shot. Render the ship with nothing else, save it as a PNG and then render the station without the ship and layer them together in a paint program

edited December 1969

Yes, I can- that's basically what I'm doing with the decks now. They're going to be a light color- or they're supposed to be a light color- anyway.
    Photoshop seems to be the only remaining answer.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,900
    edited December 1969

I wish I had a better answer but I just dont know enough about Poser to even guess what is causing it. You have already covered everything I could think of.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    I wish I had a better answer but I just dont know enough about Poser to even guess what is causing it. You have already covered everything I could think of.

I know it's frustarting. I've run across props I've downloaded and they've imported black- but that was just a matter of changing their base color in the material room or turning the ambient lighting up. I've never had this kind of problem with a prop I've made.

• edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

When I had something like this happen to me, the "scale" of the object that continually rendered black was set at a negative value. Are the decks that are rendering black set at a negative "scale" value (i.e., instead of, at say, 150%, the scale is set to -150%)? For me, setting the scale back to a positive value enabled me to render the object in normal fashion (remember to reset the surface maps/colors) instead of having it constantly rendering black. I'm sorry to read about this happening to you and I hope this helps.

edited December 1969

MenehuneMagic-

While that was a good notion, that's not it, either. The decks are all at 74%.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,405
    edited December 1969

Guess I'm at a loss as well since there are no textures to be causing a problem.
    Don't know if the shading rate or smooth polygons on the Properties tab could be related to the problem

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,053
    edited December 1969

bluto said:
    GRFK DSGN Unlimited,
    some time ago you made for me textures that im my opinion was fantastic , it was a set of alrernate next gen era uniforms for use with m4 valiant
    i have been waiting very patiently for the companion set that would work with v4 couragous , is there any chance of this ever happening?

pretty please!!!

Bluto: Both the Valiant and Courageous versions are available at the link below:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/55216/View/11/Poser/Alternate-Trek-Textures-for-Valiant-and-Courageous

I thought everyone knew they were on ShareCG.com

David

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,053
    edited December 1969

Page 1 of Part II is available on my blog. Page 2 might be available later today...

David

page_1_partII_preview.jpg
    600 x 464 - 265K
  • edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    MenehuneMagic-

Could the normals on your decks have been inverted somehow? Or are you using occlusion with the lighting? If you are using occlusion, try changing the trace distance of the occlusion to see if that helps or turn it off temporarily. If you are not using occlusion, perhaps you could try inverting the normals on the misbehaving decks. The issue that I wrote about, with me changing the negative/positive scale values, basically showed me that I had inverted the normals when I converted a model from one format to another. Beyond these, I'm tapped out on ideas for what could be ailing your decks.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    MenehuneMagic-

Could the normals on your decks have been inverted somehow? Or are you using occlusion with the lighting? If you are using occlusion, try changing the trace distance of the occlusion to see if that helps or turn it off temporarily. If you are not using occlusion, perhaps you could try inverting the normals on the misbehaving decks. The issue that I wrote about, with me changing the negative/positive scale values, basically showed me that I had inverted the normals when I converted a model from one format to another. Beyond these, I'm tapped out on ideas for what could be ailing your decks.

There are no inverted normals. I used this same basic scene file- just the ship- some months ago in my last graphic novel and it rendered fine. I called it up this time, built the dock around it- did not change anything on the ship- and got black decks.

• AndypAndyp Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

is it a different program version?

have you tried going back to the original file and try re importing it into the program?

can you import it into another program, and get the same weird error?

have you seen if there is a duplicate of the same object in the same location causing ray-trace errors?

did the crew forget to pay the energy bill?

edited December 1969

is it a different program version?

have you tried going back to the original file and try re importing it into the program?

can you import it into another program, and get the same weird error?

have you seen if there is a duplicate of the same object in the same location causing ray-trace errors?

did the crew forget to pay the energy bill?

Different program? No.
    Re-importing the model: I did bring up the original file and saved the deck material miles from that orignal scene file- the "New" files made no difference.
    Duplicate objects and raytracing: Raytracing is off. It's always off unless I need reflections.
    Energy bill? Well, they'd just been through a major battle so maybe the power's out in that part of the ship.

• AndypAndyp Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

looking at deck 2 in the images you can see a scarred 1701, you might have some UV errors, I would try viewing the image with the unwrapped uv's overlayed...

edited September 2012

looking at deck 2 in the images you can see a scarred 1701, you might have some UV errors, I would try viewing the image with the unwrapped uv's overlayed...

HUH?? You lost me with " viewing the image with the unwrapped UVs overlayed..."

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Load the templates instead of the textures to see if they are loading right.

• blutobluto Posts: 837
    edited September 2012

im working on something new for you guys

can you guess what it is

KLINGON_TRANSPORTER.jpg
    823 x 506 - 26K
    KLINGON_TRANSPORTER2.jpg
    823 x 506 - 22K
    Render_4.jpg
    823 x 506 - 24K
    Post edited by bluto on
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Load the templates instead of the textures to see if they are loading right.

There are no textures for the decks. As I said before, the scale is such, that by the time an image is fitted to my page, any detailed textures would be too small to make out clearly. The decks are just a light grey color. The only thing that would be visable is the shape of the decks.

edited September 2012

im working on something new for you guys

can you guess what it is[/quote

A new Klingon bridge. Is it TOS, movie or NG? You have TOS costumes on your characters.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,194
    edited December 1969

Romulan Transporter Room?

edited December 1969

Neptunian chain, Coffin Motel on Rigel IV?

This discussion has been closed.