Daz Studio 4 "(Not Responding)" for 10 to 15 seconds, CONSTANTLY

Ephemeral NightEphemeral Night Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Seemingly at random, but with great frequency (on average, every two or three GUI actions, but sometimes it's every single action, sometimes dozens) the application will go "Not Responding" for between 10 and 15 seconds, and then comes back. Graphically, the application otherwise runs smoothly.

This happens with equal frequency no matter what I'm doing. Clicking a menu, opening a tap, selecting an object in the scene, mousing over and object in the scene, changing a parameter, or posing within the viewport. It should be noted that the freezeups DON'T seem to happen when clicking the mouse button DOWN, but while dragging something, or upon RELEASE of the mouse button or while mousing over something that reacts to a hovering cursor.

I urgently need to know what the problem is. Help, please?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

More information is required to even begin to help you.

What OS are you using, and what version EXACTLY of DAZ Studio, Help > About DAZ Studio will tell you?

What Graphics card does your system use, and what version of OpenGL, Help > Troubleshooting > About Your Video Card?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Daz Studio?
    What Version number 4.5.1.56?
    Do you have any content loaded in the viewport window when this happens?
    When this happens to me I turn off any Sub-D and Smoothing (both found in the Parameters Pane when an item that has Sub-D and or smoothing applied is selected).
    It also happens when I try to select a lot of surfaces at the same time, granted my rig is an old dual core 32 bit Vista with 2GB of Ram.

• Ephemeral NightEphemeral Night Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DAZ Version 4.0.0.335
    on
    Windows 7 Professional

Video card:

Current OpenGL Version: 4.2.11931 Compatibility Profile Context

OpenGL Provider: ATI Technologies Inc.

Hardware: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Features:

MultiTexturing Supported

Shadow Map Supported

Hardware Antialiasing Supported

OpenGL Shading Language
    Supported

Pixel Buffer Supported

Pixel Buffer Size Not Enabled

Maximum Number of Lights 8

Number of Texture Units 8

Maximum Texture Size 16384 x 16384

Szark said:
    Do you have any content loaded in the viewport window when this happens?
    When this happens to me I turn off any Sub-D and Smoothing (both found in the Parameters Pane when an item that has Sub-D and or smoothing applied is selected).
    It also happens when I try to select a lot of surfaces at the same time, granted my rig is an old dual core 32 bit Vista with 2GB of Ram.

It happens in exactly the same way with the same frequency regardless of what I have in the scene, or if I even have a scene open. GUI actions in the viewport or not in the viewport, same thing. Objects in the viewport. UI tabs. Application menus. EVERYTHING INTERACTIVE, this happens the same way with the same frequency. Trying to use the File menu is exactly as likely to cause the 10 to 15 second freeze, as manipulating objects in the viewport, as simply highlighting a menu option, tab, or 3d object.

• larrygilmanlarrygilman Posts: 100
    edited December 1969

This may be redundant, but have you - defragged, run disk check, and cleaned the registry??

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure but I think DS is Caching because at 2Gb Ram it needs to Swap out file space to function. The File Cache and File swap would explain the Pause. A Hard Drive De-frag might help the speed of the caching (if that is the issue) but I'm not sure.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I'm not sure but I think DS is Caching because at 2Gb Ram it needs to Swap out file space to function. The File Cache and File swap would explain the Pause.
    What does that actually mean? Also, this system has 8GB of ram.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I'm not sure but I think DS is Caching because at 2Gb Ram it needs to Swap out file space to function. The File Cache and File swap would explain the Pause.
    What does that actually mean? Also, this system has 8GB of ram.I'm So Sorry! That was a response to a DIFF thread I thought. Please over look my mistake.
    edited December 1969

@Ephemeral Night

What is your chipset on your PC? Is it a laptop? Is it 64 bit or 32 bit? Is it the 64 bit version of DAZ Studio you are running?

If you have 8GB of RAM, you should be running the 64 bit version, and DS4.5 would be a much better choice as well, the version you are running is quite a few versions back, is there a reason for this?

edited December 1969

What is your chipset on your PC? Is it a laptop? Is it 64 bit or 32 bit? Is it the 64 bit version of DAZ Studio you are running? It's 64-bit, but when I installed DAZ, only the 32-bit version was available.
    If you have 8GB of RAM, you should be running the 64 bit version, and DS4.5 would be a much better choice as well, the version you are running is quite a few versions back, is there a reason for this?
    It was the one I installed, and it doesn't come with a patcher as far as I know, and there doesn't seem to be a procedure for upgrading. I'm very wary of just installing the newer version and having it conflict with the older one. And what about my purchased content and saved scenes? The description for 4.5 says it uses a new file type.

And would upgrading even solve the (Not Responding) problem?

edited March 2013

Chipset is not weather the system is 32 or 64 bit but who made it I think Jimmy was asking...Intel is the normal I believe.

To upgrade Daz Studio you install the new and the new uninstalls the old, there are no patchers or upgrade path. Go to Help > About Daz Studio to find the full version number like the latest is DS4.5.1.56 and yes some have reported that upgrading did help them in this regard but it does seem hit or miss. :)

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

I'm on an Intel Quad-core.

Szark said:
    some have reported that upgrading did help them in this regard but it does seem hit or miss. :
    Yes, which is why I'm here asking for help instead of just throwing things at the problem to see what sticks. I want to know WHY this is happening so I can fix it in the optimal way, without messing anything else up.

And I'd also like to know exactly what installing 4.5 would do to my saved scenes. Would the installer recognize the old install since the old install is 32-bit and thus in a different file location? If 4.5 installed successfully, would my installed content still work? Would my scenes that heavily use the Genesis Evolution morphs still work?

edited December 1969

If you want to deal with someone that works for Daz3d instead of us volunteers throwing things at you then may I suggest you can do one of three things, 1: make a bug report or 2: fill out a ticket via the helpdesk or 3: phone them direct.

Good luck

edited December 1969

I'm on an Intel Quad-core.

Szark said:
    some have reported that upgrading did help them in this regard but it does seem hit or miss. :
    Yes, which is why I'm here asking for help instead of just throwing things at the problem to see what sticks. I want to know WHY this is happening so I can fix it in the optimal way, without messing anything else up.

And I'd also like to know exactly what installing 4.5 would do to my saved scenes. Would the installer recognize the old install since the old install is 32-bit and thus in a different file location? If 4.5 installed successfully, would my installed content still work? Would my scenes that heavily use the Genesis Evolution morphs still work?

First of all, your RAM is not being used to full effect using the 32 bit version of the main software, which may be the cause of most of your problems. Upgrade to the 64 bit version of DS4.5, it can still open all of your saved scene files, content works the same in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions, the bit depth does not affect the content in any way.

Some content may need to be updated, Genesis Starter Essentials to begin with, as it now uses the new DUF format, but everything else will still work with it. Make sure that you know where your 'data' folder is, and back it up before installing the new version, although it should not be touched by the new install, it is better to be safe. Your saved scene files rely on the data folder being there.

It is absolutely pointless having a 64 bit OS, and using the 32 bit version of an app which has a 64 bit version. All of your memory will be able to be utilised, and the freeze ups should not happen. If the worst comes to the worst, and you have to reinstall DS4.0 again, then make sure that you get the 64 bit version of it.

If you reset your download for DS4.0, you should get both versions in your available downloads area. I have no idea why you didn't the l;ast time, I always get both, but I only ever download the 64 bit version.

• larrygilmanlarrygilman Posts: 100
    edited December 1969

If you have the skill, you can setup 4.5 in a different drive. and do your testing that way, even better is setup on a different computer.

edited December 1969

I already did submit a ticket before I made this thread. No response yet.

Some content may need to be updated, Genesis Starter Essentials to begin with, as it now uses the new DUF format, but everything else will still work with it. Make sure that you know where your 'data' folder is, and back it up before installing the new version, although it should not be touched by the new install, it is better to be safe. Your saved scene files rely on the data folder being there. See, I don't know what this means but it sounds like switching to 4.5 will break something for me, since you're all assuming I would know what you mean by this, and I don't.
    What are the Genesis Starter Essentials? Does "everything else" include the content I have installed, especially the Genesis Evolution Morphs? What would happen if I installed 4.5 and then tried to open a saved .daz scene that had a morphed Genesis figure in it?
    What data folder? Where? What is it and why is it important to my saved files?

It is absolutely pointless having a 64 bit OS, and using the 32 bit version of an app which has a 64 bit version. All of your memory will be able to be utilised, and the freeze ups should not happen.
    Yes, I am aware of that, but when I first installed DAZ the 64-bit version of the program was not available. And that version ran fine when I did first install it.

If you have the skill, you can setup 4.5 in a different drive. and do your testing that way, even better is setup on a different computer.Except that wouldn't test anything that I want to test, since that other drive/computer wouldn't already have the installed content that I'm worried about still working.

edited December 1969

What are the Genesis Starter Essentials? Does “everything else” include the content I have installed, especially the Genesis Evolution Morphs? What would happen if I installed 4.5 and then tried to open a saved .daz scene that had a morphed Genesis figure in it?
    What data folder? Where? What is it and why is it important to my saved files?

You must have Genesis Starter Essentials installed already, or you would not have Genesis. It has come as a seperate download for quite some time now, and to the best of my knowledge, the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of DS4 were always available. Did you 'buy' DS4 through the store here, and download it from here?

The data folder is called 'data', and if you do a search for it, you will find it. I don't have any backups of DS4 stuff, but in the new setup, the data folder is in the My Library folder.

The .DAZ format requires the data folder to load the geometry and UV files from, and they are saved into there when you save a scene file. When loading the DAZ scene file again, DS reads the information from the data folder to create the scene. It has been like that since before version 1.0. The new DUF format is a lot simpler, loads many times quicker and saves much faster as well. It still uses the data folder for some things, but it can also read the geometry files from your content folders.

If you don;t want to upgrade to DS4.5, then please reset your download for DS4.0, and you should get the 64 bit version as wel there as well, and install it. You can leave the 32 bit version installed if you like.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Starting with 4.5, they split the included content from the application -- in 4.0 it was all in one installer.

edited December 1969

You must have Genesis Starter Essentials installed already, or you would not have Genesis. It has come as a seperate download for quite some time now, and to the best of my knowledge, the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of DS4 were always available. Did you 'buy' DS4 through the store here, and download it from here? Yes, and I do not recall installing Genesis separately, or there being a 64-bit version available, and at the time, I looked.

The .DAZ format requires the data folder to load the geometry and UV files from, and they are saved into there when you save a scene file. When loading the DAZ scene file again, DS reads the information from the data folder to create the scene. It has been like that since before version 1.0. The new DUF format is a lot simpler, loads many times quicker and saves much faster as well. It still uses the data folder for some things, but it can also read the geometry files from your content folders. This just reiterates my question. Does this or does this not mean that my old save files will work seamlessly?

If you don;t want to upgrade to DS4.5,
    I would like to update, provided doing so doesn't break any of my scenes

You can leave the 32 bit version installed if you like. Shouldn't this not be possible unless the 4.5 installer screws up?

edited March 2013

This just reiterates my question. Does this or does this not mean that my old save files will work seamlessly?

I have said this over and over. DS4.5 can open .DAZ files, assuming that the 'data' folder which was populated when you saved these files is available for DS4.5 to read. Make sure that you have it backed up!

Mike has just explained that the files were all together in DS4.0, something that I had forgotten, and Genesis was installed with the main app. It is now a seperate installer.

Shouldn’t this not be possible unless the 4.5 installer screws up?

I was referring to you installing the 64 bit version of DS4.0 if you don;t want to upgrade to DS4,5 You could always have both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions installed on the same PC, but you cannot mix them. You CANNOT have DS4 and DS4.5 on the same machine no matter what the bit depth is. But you CAN have DS4 32, and DS4 64 bit on the same machine. If you are so worried about upgrading to DS4.5, then grab the 64 bit version of your current version, and try it first.

It seems to me that you are looking for absolute assurances that everything will work seamlessly, I cannot give you that guarantee, and neither can anyone else. Can you load and render the saved scenes that you now have in DS4? If so, then it is almost certain that they can be loaded in DS4.5. Once again, make sure that you have the current data folder backed up, it should not really be necessary, but better safe than sorry.

At the end of the day, if you do not like DS4.5, or it can't open your older scenes, or you are still having the same problems, you can always uninstall it again, and reinstall DS4. If you have saved any scene files in DS4.5 though, they will NOT open in DS4

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited December 1969

Starting with 4.5, they split the included content from the application—in 4.0 it was all in one installer. Thank you.

Can you load and render the saved scenes that you now have in DS4? If so, then it is almost certain that they can be loaded in DS4.5. Once again, make sure that you have the current data folder backed up, it should not really be necessary, but better safe than sorry.

Thank you. Why couldn't you have just said that in the first place?

This still doesn't answer the other half of my question about Genesis, though. I see folders for the Genesis figure in the data folder, and from what you're telling me, the data folder will remain intact through the installation process for 4.5. Is it necessary to install the GenesisStarterEssentials only on fresh installations of 4.5 or is it necessary no matter what is already installed? And if it is the latter, am I going to have two copies of the Genesis figure installed and confusing me for the rest of time?

And, hypothetically, what if I install 4.5 and everything goes smoothly, except the original freezing problem is still there? Then what?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,473
    edited December 1969

You don't need to reinstall the content unless the version number has changed, which it hasn't recently.

edited December 1969

You don't need to reinstall the content unless the version number has changed, which it hasn't recently.
    So... does that mean that in my specific case that I'll need to install the GenesisStarterEssentials after installing DAZ 4.5, or that I won't need to?
    edited December 1969

You will need to install Genesis Starter Essentials, as the included content from 4.0 will get uninstalled. I also recommend uninstalling the Content Management Service -- that doesn't get uninstalled automatically, but you have such an old version that it's worth upgrading that as well.

edited December 1969

Content Management Service? Isn't that a new thing that I wouldn't have anyway? Where would that be if I do have it? I don't see an uninstaller for it.

edited December 1969

Content Management Service? Isn't that a new thing that I wouldn't have anyway? Where would that be if I do have it? I don't see an uninstaller for it.

Start > All Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service > Uninstall DAZ Content Management Service

edited December 1969

If you took note when installinhg software the you would already know the answer. YES you have it installed already and no it is not that new.

The DIM (Daz Install Manager) is new.

edited December 1969

Start > All Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service > Uninstall DAZ Content Management Service
    It isn't there. That was the first place I looked before I asked. Where would it be in the file structure? Was it an optional install?
    edited December 1969

Could I please get an answer? My workflow is totally stalled until I can get this resolved.

I ran the installer for 4.5. I checked the instructions to be sure, and DAZStudio_4.5.1.56_Win64.exe did not detect the previous installation. I canceled the installation, because in this thread I've been told that having both versions installed at the same time would be very bad.

What should I do?

edited December 1969

If your FIRST installation was a 32bit version the 64bit version will not remove it. The 32 and 64bit versions install to different locations in Programs. You will need to install the same bit version to remove it. I have DS4.5 32bit and DS4.5 64bit both installed. Only the 32 bit version has working lipsync. That is fine to do. But having DS4.0 32bit and DS4.5 64bit installed will cause problems.

I hope this helps.

edited December 1969

It really doesn't. I appreciate the response, but if you hadn't noticed, you basically just rephrased my questions without adding any actual information beyond the thing about lipsync, which I don't use anyway.

What about manually uninstalling DAZ 4.0 32-bit and then installing DAZ 4.5 64-bit? Would that work? Does the "detected previous installation" uninstaller do or not do something that the standard uninstaller does? If so, what? What do I do about it?