New plugin : Cutouts and Blimps

Comments

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

Gee whiz, Wendy, you'd make a good foo0tball player -- still tackling 'em fractals. lol

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,060
    edited August 2018

Oh boy 3.45am yesterday and its 8pm and it finally finished and looks like this

Meh

on your left is the reverse that took under a minute

Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 276K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

so I made this in the Vertex room from spheres

needs more

Doc2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 237K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969

page https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=921806691336614&set=pcb.1847326895322658&type=3&theater&ifg=1

courtesy 

Mandica Knežević‎ to The Golden Age Of Illustration

artist: Ernst Haeckel, biologist, 1900.

th3Digit said:

Meh

that's lovely Wendy it has a certain.....   je ne sais quoi

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    th3Digit said:

Meh

probably a lot like what a bitcoin looks like in memory - for all the CPU effort...

oh well. maybe you can get something more interesting w some smoothing?

i do like the direction/exporation, though. fascinating stuff.

--ms

so what did you learn Wendy?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,998

I’ll be using this plugin for the recent pioneer challenge...

this is is so handy, every Carrara user should give it a go.

Yes it's much better than modelling from scratch :)

head wax said:

so what did you learn Wendy?

it is good  for some stuff not so good for others

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,408

Have an idea for the new challenge, will be using this great free plugin for it !!!!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

I decided to release a new plugin finalized some month ago, but for which I haven't had the time to make a proper presentation. I don't have more time now, but decided to release it anyway.

It's called cutouts and blimps. You can see a small demo here:

A cutout is a plane on which an image is mapped and the transparent parts removed. Why would you say ? Just because because the renderer doesn't like transparency. So trading polygons for transparency is usually a good bargain. For instance, a tree where leaves have no transparency renders 10 times faster than a tree where leaves are a rectangle with transparency.

A blimp is an inflated cutout, similar to the "organic" operator in the vertex room. It's useful when you want to use cutouts to populate background (a common practice) and you want a better response to light. You can see the difference in this post I made in back in February.

You can also use it as a starting point for modeling from a drawing, given that UV mapping will be Box front and back. You can also use it for titling with round, cartoon like fonts.

You can download the plugin from the usual link : https://sourceforge.net/projects/carrara-time-savers/files/

For now, there only the Windows version. I'll try to compile theOSX version tomorrow.

thank yoo for the tutorial!! i was geelin vague on the blimp part.

puffs out a cutout, so elegant a solution

iirc there was a tutorial on how to add birds and oranges to tree branches, think the same method would work for cutout leafs

no more leaf transparency, faster renders smiley

edited November 2018

I used the cutout to model my gumleaves the other day yes  laugh wink

Gumleaves and Gumnuts.png
    640 x 480 - 159K
    Post edited by Stezza on

I used the cutout to model my gumleaves the other day yes  laugh wink

cute Stezza, lovely use of the plugin - great gun muts too, you amd may gibbs are twins :)

anybody tried it on transmapped hairs? 

• Mystarra said:

anybody tried it on transmapped hairs? 

haha cool idea

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,331

Wow!

Just... WOW!

As well as: 

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!

So cool to see such cool things being added to my favorite software on the planet! Although I haven't been getting internet time, and my Carrara computer is dying, I've still been managing to get some Carrara and Howler time in. I still hold to the value that both Carrara and Howler were meant to work together, but that might just very well be how I work. Everybody's got their own thing, right?

Oh man... this is So Cool!

Argh, bummer... I gotta go :(

Say, when I downloaded this and Phong Tessellator, I also saw (and downloaded) a thing called PBR Lighting!

I ran out of time before I could find a thread in here about it. Is there a thread/post someone could give me a link to? Please?

Wow. I love you all! Miss you all! Having a lot of fun with Carrara, working toward making some more fun videos, just never get any internet time right now.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,132

@Dartanbeck - Hello, my friend.  So glad you stopped in.  Happy to hear you doing well.

- there are quite a few significant plugins and similar aids.  Check them out when you get a chance.

• Argh, bummer... I gotta go :(

Say, when I downloaded this and Phong Tessellator, I also saw (and downloaded) a thing called PBR Lighting!

I ran out of time before I could find a thread in here about it. Is there a thread/post someone could give me a link to? Please?

Wow. I love you all! Miss you all! Having a lot of fun with Carrara, working toward making some more fun videos, just never get any internet time right now.

@dartanbeck

Thank you Dart for your fine words. Sorry to hear about your problems with internet and hardware.

You can find the PBR Lighting thread here.

Thanks!!! :)

opens up all sorts of possibilities this does Dart :)

Amazing and just plain Awesome! So cool that he's so inspired to make such wonderful things for us!

edited January 2019

Strange dbl post! LOL

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Amazing and just plain Awesome! So cool that he's so inspired to make such wonderful things for us!

And so useful ... I seem to be using it quite often on all different kinds of stuff.

recomend new users of Carrara to download it. 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,408

And so useful ... I seem to be using it quite often on all different kinds of stuff.

recomend new users of Carrara to download it. 

Definately a must have, use it for some very wacky critters.

cutouts dont have to be flat planes, right?

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    They are created this way but, if you convert it to Vertex modeler, you can deform it the way you want. Otherwise, you can generate a blimp with only one half.

was thinking to cut fishnet stockings angel

HAHA we need a new plugin Alpha to boolean cutter outerer!

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175

I agree, we need a new plugin, combining Cutout and HDMorph.  Not this time I'm afraid.

HAHA we need a new plugin Alpha to boolean cutter outerer!