[Released] Clothing Converter from Genesis 3 Female to Genesis 8 Female [Commercial]

Comments

• hello, every cloth i try to convert , gives me an error that cant find some .dsf files and when the cloth appear, doesnt have geometry, only cubes, what im doing wrong?

• PGandara said:

hello, every cloth i try to convert , gives me an error that cant find some .dsf files and when the cloth appear, doesnt have geometry, only cubes, what im doing wrong?

Is the directory where the .dsf files located specified in your Content Manager "Daz Studio Formats"?  This should be at the top level, e.g., c:/Daz 3D/Studio/My Library.

• PGandaraPGandara Posts: 34
    edited September 2019
    PGandara said:

hello, every cloth i try to convert , gives me an error that cant find some .dsf files and when the cloth appear, doesnt have geometry, only cubes, what im doing wrong?

Is the directory where the .dsf files located specified in your Content Manager "Daz Studio Formats"?  This should be at the top level, e.g., c:/Daz 3D/Studio/My Library.

Fixed it, thanks :)

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • PGandara said:
    PGandara said:

Fixed it, thanks :)

Great!  How did you fix it (so others know)?

• As a suggestion for improving this, is it possible to add an option that will strip out the figure morphs for the DO base figures?

The FBMVictoria7.dsf morphs and the like that persist after conversion cause conflicts with things like the "Victoria 7 for Victoria 8" products; the latter uses exactly the same name for a morph that's very differently shaped, given it's now shaped as a derivative of the Genesis 8 base figure, so the clothing ends up the wrong shape*, meaning that it's better to just rely on auto-follow to do the job (unless you can contrive a better fix).

* Mendoman posted a picture example of the problem here, although he converted the item manually: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/352506/victoria7-for-victoria8-morph-problems-with-g3-items

I also discover from having gone through and deleted all of said G7 FBM morphs from my converted clothing that they were using up a good couple of gigabytes - given these are shapes that either won't be activated or are likely to cause problems when activated, being able to not convert them would be something of a boon to disk space.

• As a suggestion for improving this, is it possible to add an option that will strip out the figure morphs for the DO base figures?

The FBMVictoria7.dsf morphs and the like that persist after conversion cause conflicts with things like the "Victoria 7 for Victoria 8" products; the latter uses exactly the same name for a morph that's very differently shaped, given it's now shaped as a derivative of the Genesis 8 base figure, so the clothing ends up the wrong shape*, meaning that it's better to just rely on auto-follow to do the job (unless you can contrive a better fix).

* Mendoman posted a picture example of the problem here, although he converted the item manually: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/352506/victoria7-for-victoria8-morph-problems-with-g3-items

I also discover from having gone through and deleted all of said G7 FBM morphs from my converted clothing that they were using up a good couple of gigabytes - given these are shapes that either won't be activated or are likely to cause problems when activated, being able to not convert them would be something of a boon to disk space.

Are you talking about the clothing converters or the character converters?  The only morphs that should be transferred with clothing are the clothing morphs.  Could you explain more please?

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,527
    edited September 2019

As a suggestion for improving this, is it possible to add an option that will strip out the figure morphs for the DO base figures?

Are you talking about the clothing converters or the character converters?  The only morphs that should be transferred with clothing are the clothing morphs.  Could you explain more please?

A lot of clothing has a FBMVictoria7 morph (or similar - FBMOlympia7, FBMEva7, etc) intended to improve the fit and reduce distortion when those base figures are dialled in (as compared to just relying on auto-follow). These exist as morph files for the clothing, and can be seen (as hidden morphs) on the clothing even when it is not fitted to these characters.

As they're morphs that belong to the clothing, they're getting transferred, leading to two main problems:

- these morphs don't match the identically named morphs used by the Gen 8 conversions of those characters (for example, Victoria 7 for Victoria 8). The G8 version of Victoria 7 now works as a derivative character of Victoria 8, so the actual shape of the morph called FBMVictoria7 is very different for G8F and G3F, so the clothing's original corrective morph now results in completely the wrong fit.

- Other than for the G7 for G8 characters (where it causes glitches), these morphs probably won't be activated anyway. Only those people who have converted the characters to G8F will use a corrective clothing morph such as FBMRune7 or the like. That makes quite a lot of difference to the disk space used by the conversions, as many clothes have these corrective morphs for several DO base shapes.

Basically, what I'm suggesting is an option the user can check to have the converter remove morphs called FBMVictoria7, FBMMika7, FBMOphelia7, etc, as it's processing. Presumably this would be done using some kind of "blacklist" of morph names (potentially even editable by the user, should they wish/need to add anything else?).

Obviously the ideal would be to find a way to "correct" these morphs to still have them retain the correct fit on their updated G8F versions, but removing these morphs and letting DS default to autofollow is better than transferring them verbatim.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on

A lot of clothing has a FBMVictoria7 morph (or similar - FBMOlympia7, FBMEva7, etc) intended to improve the fit and reduce distortion when those base figures are dialled in (as compared to just relying on auto-follow). These exist as morph files for the clothing, and can be seen (as hidden morphs) on the clothing even when it is not fitted to these characters.

As they're morphs that belong to the clothing, they're getting transferred, leading to two main problems:

- these morphs don't match the identically named morphs used by the Gen 8 conversions of those characters (for example, Victoria 7 for Victoria 8). The G8 version of Victoria 7 now works as a derivative character of Victoria 8, so the actual shape of the morph called FBMVictoria7 is very different for G8F and G3F, so the clothing's original corrective morph now results in completely the wrong fit.

- Other than for the G7 for G8 characters (where it causes glitches), these morphs probably won't be activated anyway. Only those people who have converted the characters to G8F will use a corrective clothing morph such as FBMRune7 or the like. That makes quite a lot of difference to the disk space used by the conversions, as many clothes have these corrective morphs for several DO base shapes.

Basically, what I'm suggesting is an option the user can check to have the converter remove morphs called FBMVictoria7, FBMMika7, FBMOphelia7, etc, as it's processing. Presumably this would be done using some kind of "blacklist" of morph names (potentially even editable by the user, should they wish/need to add anything else?).

Obviously the ideal would be to find a way to "correct" these morphs to still have them retain the correct fit on their updated G8F versions, but removing these morphs and letting DS default to autofollow is better than transferring them verbatim.

Ah, I see.  That makes sense.  Ok, I will look into it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 212
    edited October 2019

Has anyone ever managed to convert Chungdan's Cross Strap and Office Pumps? I tried with a bunch of different setting w/o success. Any help would be great!

Post edited by Laurita on
  • Has anyone ever managed to convert Chungdan's Cross Strap and Office Pumps? I tried with a bunch of different setting w/o success. Any help would be great!

Is it these?  https://www.daz3d.com/cross-strap-pump   I don't have them.  But UNCHECKING Use Foot Pose and CHECKING Use Foot Dialog will give you much better results.  You might have to try multiple times with the foot dialog.  Often, lining up the foot EXACTLY with the shoe may not give the best result.  You may have to make it ABOVE or BELOW the footwear, so it looks awful with the dialog, but when you load the converted footwear it looks nice.

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 212

Yes these are the ones. But there seems to be something else going on with them, I tried to pose the feet as you supposed. It looks as if G8 has to be placed at -0.5 / -1 on the Z axis before you start the script, maybe one even has to dial in some metatarsal bend beforehand ... I don't know. Just the Foot Dialog on it's own isn't sufficent for these models.

• Yes these are the ones. But there seems to be something else going on with them, I tried to pose the feet as you supposed. It looks as if G8 has to be placed at -0.5 / -1 on the Z axis before you start the script, maybe one even has to dial in some metatarsal bend beforehand ... I don't know. Just the Foot Dialog on it's own isn't sufficent for these models.

Oh.  That is a shame.  

• kgrosserkgrosser Posts: 141

I don't know if that has been discussed and also don't know which product thread of the many I have from you, but....

I find it somewhat tedious that the products (and as said that goes for everything including the transferred characters, although it is not that critical here) end up in the Local User library without any referenced materials. So, either way using Smart Content or the regular library I find myself navigating forth and back between folders and libraries. I know it is somewhat against how DAZ (unfortunately) organizes the library, but would it be possible to have an option in your tools to:

select the root folder(s) of the original as target folders?

I know his may lead to file duplicates but a solution would to replace existing  referrers in the file name (eg "replace G8 with G3 if present in filename") and if there is NO reference automatically create a suffix (the character convertors already do this)?

This would be more than helpful as renaming from within DAZ after installing a product is close to impossible and this would allow to simply browse your smart library and pick a piece of wardrobe (did I mention the way DAZ organizes the library is kind of .... counterintuitive?) - even more when converted to multiplegenerations - and pick the materials wihtout having to leave the product folder.

Would that something you could consider as updates and include in future releases (as I defintely plan to be a continuously returning customer)

• I don't know if that has been discussed and also don't know which product thread of the many I have from you, but....

I find it somewhat tedious that the products (and as said that goes for everything including the transferred characters, although it is not that critical here) end up in the Local User library without any referenced materials. So, either way using Smart Content or the regular library I find myself navigating forth and back between folders and libraries. I know it is somewhat against how DAZ (unfortunately) organizes the library, but would it be possible to have an option in your tools to:

select the root folder(s) of the original as target folders?

I know his may lead to file duplicates but a solution would to replace existing  referrers in the file name (eg "replace G8 with G3 if present in filename") and if there is NO reference automatically create a suffix (the character convertors already do this)?

This would be more than helpful as renaming from within DAZ after installing a product is close to impossible and this would allow to simply browse your smart library and pick a piece of wardrobe (did I mention the way DAZ organizes the library is kind of .... counterintuitive?) - even more when converted to multiplegenerations - and pick the materials wihtout having to leave the product folder.

Would that something you could consider as updates and include in future releases (as I defintely plan to be a continuously returning customer)

I would definitely consider it for an update to add a suffix/prefix option.  

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 403
    edited October 2019

Hmmm, I must be missing something here. I just ran the converter, and conversion program created directories and .duf files and images for converted G3F stuff just fine in my target directory, but nothing is showing for G8F in smart content. 

My target directory for conversion was C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\People\Genesis 8 Female\Clothing. I already added C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library under DAZ Studio Formats in content manager, but still nothing new in smart content. Also already restarted Daz Studio, but that didn't help either. What am I missing here?

EDIT: Also tested and the .duf files work. I can drag those converted files on G8F, and everything works, but nothing new shows in smart content. Should I reimport metadata or something to make it refresh?

Post edited by Mendoman on
  • Mendoman said:

Hmmm, I must be missing something here. I just ran the converter, and conversion program created directories and .duf files and images for converted G3F stuff just fine in my target directory, but nothing is showing for G8F in smart content. 

My target directory for conversion was C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\People\Genesis 8 Female\Clothing. I already added C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library under DAZ Studio Formats in content manager, but still nothing new in smart content. Also already restarted Daz Studio, but that didn't help either. What am I missing here?

EDIT: Also tested and the .duf files work. I can drag those converted files on G8F, and everything works, but nothing new shows in smart content. Should I reimport metadata or something to make it refresh?

It can be tricky with the smart content.  It will NOT show up in Products, only in Files smart content.  You need to also search with text that exactly matches a word in the name of the duf file.  

Ah, that's it. I searched from Products. All the items seems to be in Files, but unfortunately most of them are missing images.

Oh, never mind. Missing images is my error. I first ran converter to my main Daz library folder, under Genesis 8 Female\Clothing\Converted. Then after seeing nothing new in smart content products, I read readme.pdf carefully, and I thought files have to be on that other directory. So I deleted all the converted files ( well, actually I cut and paste them away, so I still have a backup if I need to restore them ), and ran converter again to a different target directory. Now I just have to figure out how to remove all those missing files, since they don't exist anymore.

• Mendoman said:

Oh, never mind. Missing images is my error. I first ran converter to my main Daz library folder, under Genesis 8 Female\Clothing\Converted. Then after seeing nothing new in smart content products, I read readme.pdf carefully, and I thought files have to be on that other directory. So I deleted all the converted files ( well, actually I cut and paste them away, so I still have a backup if I need to restore them ), and ran converter again to a different target directory. Now I just have to figure out how to remove all those missing files, since they don't exist anymore.

Great!  I am glad you figured it out.

Heh, of course I messed it up a little while deleting orphans, so I ended up deleting every converted item. Then I deleted all orphaned references, and finally running the conversion third time. Before I started the whole G3F library conversion, this time I made a small test patch, and now everything seems to be working ok. Items are showing in Files smart content, and when I click the file icon G8F also wears them. Now my third conversion attempt is running and looking good. Heh, like they say, third time's the charm :)

• Mendoman said:

Heh, of course I messed it up a little while deleting orphans, so I ended up deleting every converted item. Then I deleted all orphaned references, and finally running the conversion third time. Before I started the whole G3F library conversion, this time I made a small test patch, and now everything seems to be working ok. Items are showing in Files smart content, and when I click the file icon G8F also wears them. Now my third conversion attempt is running and looking good. Heh, like they say, third time's the charm :)

Good to hear!  Good luck!

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Has anyone ever managed to convert Chungdan's Cross Strap and Office Pumps? I tried with a bunch of different setting w/o success. Any help would be great!

Is it these?  https://www.daz3d.com/cross-strap-pump   I don't have them.  But UNCHECKING Use Foot Pose and CHECKING Use Foot Dialog will give you much better results.  You might have to try multiple times with the foot dialog.  Often, lining up the foot EXACTLY with the shoe may not give the best result.  You may have to make it ABOVE or BELOW the footwear, so it looks awful with the dialog, but when you load the converted footwear it looks nice.

I'll admit I haven't had a lot of success with transferring footwear and I don't know what I am doing wrong but I don't think with an automated converter it should be as hard as it is to convert and have to mess around with foot poses and trying to line them up exactly.  I went ahead and ran the converter on my g3 dlothing folder but now I have to go back and test each and every one to see if it converted properly and if not delete it and figure out the right fix to get it to load properly onto G8

• Kharma said:

I'll admit I haven't had a lot of success with transferring footwear and I don't know what I am doing wrong but I don't think with an automated converter it should be as hard as it is to convert and have to mess around with foot poses and trying to line them up exactly.  I went ahead and ran the converter on my g3 dlothing folder but now I have to go back and test each and every one to see if it converted properly and if not delete it and figure out the right fix to get it to load properly onto G8

Unfortunately, converting footwear is hard.  Auto-fit fails a lot with footwear, so it is not an easy problem for automated software.  I was really happy to be able to convert footwear at all.

edited November 2019
    Kharma said:

Unfortunately, converting footwear is hard.  Auto-fit fails a lot with footwear, so it is not an easy problem for automated software.  I was really happy to be able to convert footwear at all.

well I am not sure what I am doing wrong since I have followed majority of the suggestions . This is the Abigail shoes applied to G8

abigail shoe.jpg
    313 x 161 - 9K
    Post edited by Kharma on
  • Hello, I use the latest Version of Daz Studio an want to use the Converter, but the alway comes an error:

I reinstalled the product already.

I loaded the standard G8F as written in you manual.

Can you help me please, thanks Michael

• Kharma said:
    Kharma said:

well I am not sure what I am doing wrong since I have followed majority of the suggestions . This is the Abigail shoes applied to G8

That is weird.  You converted the Abigail shoes perfectly back in January.  These are the settings you used then:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4296356/#Comment_4296356

• M_Findt said:

Hello, I use the latest Version of Daz Studio an want to use the Converter, but the alway comes an error:

Can you post the Daz Log where you try to start the Clothing Converter?

Kharma said:

well I am not sure what I am doing wrong since I have followed majority of the suggestions 

Kharma said:
    Kharma said:

That is weird.  You converted the Abigail shoes perfectly back in January.  These are the settings you used then:

I know it worked then and now when I try it the result is the picture I just posted,  I just loaded the converted shoes that I saved then and then applied the G3 foot pose same as before.  I would have expected the previous results but no ...  so strange

• Kharma said:
    Kharma said:

well I am not sure what I am doing wrong since I have followed majority of the suggestions 

Kharma said:
    Kharma said:

I know it worked then and now when I try it the result is the picture I just posted,  I just loaded the converted shoes that I saved then and then applied the G3 foot pose same as before.  I would have expected the previous results but no ...  so strange

For me, when the converted Abigail shoes are loaded, they are not lined up with the feet.  I have to apply the G3 foot pose (that came with the product) and then it looks right.  I still have to turn on smoothing but it works then.  

Perhaps, reconvert it using the values you talked about before?

• M_Findt said:

Hello, I use the latest Version of Daz Studio an want to use the Converter, but the alway comes an error:

Can you post the Daz Log where you try to start the Clothing Converter?

Sorry for delay. 

Thanks for help

Best regards Michael

txt
    txt
    error_converter_log.txt