[Released] Oso Blendy Two Layer Shader for Iray

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,969

Well, I’m sorry, I have no idea why it’s not working for you.

Please contact customer support for more help.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,940
    edited July 2019

Okay, I went back and tried something simpler... just to rule out this being a general malfunction instead of something specific to that garment.  I made a plane prim, and applied Daz Uber shader Fabric - Silk - Blue onto the plane, then invoked Oso Blendy onto that, and applied a new template -- an 8000x8000 black plane with a white square in the middle -- into User Parameters Blank Mask, and applied your described changes onto Top Coat Wight 2, Top Coat Roughness 2, and Top Coat IOR 2.  I beleive on the other attempt I may have applied my template onto some other places, and I had also changed Top Coat Color 2 to something other than the yellow color it arrived with, changing it to grey, but this time I left that one alone.  Could one of those changes have borked it?

And would it help if I sent you a copy of my earlier test scene?

edit: Went back and did another render test with another plane, using DT_Brwn Stone shader, and applied the same stuff to that, so that I was dealing with something that had a visible pattern on it.

edit2: Okay, went back to my original garment-test, went through all the elements of the particular suface I'd applied this process onto, looking for what other places I'd applied my template, found I had it on Top Coat Bump 2, and removed it from there, so now it is only on User Parameters > Blank Mask, I also decided to see what it would look like if I replaced the earlier template with my white-square-on-black template, did a new render and... got a big black strip going diagonally across the front of the undies... which is NOT what I was expecting.  0o  Evidently my wet-spot wasn't going where I thought it was on that thing.  Either this system, when presented with the template (which I deliberately made be the same size of 8000x8000 as the entire texture of the garment), isn't being applied 1 to 1 with it, or else the part I was sure was the front of the undies on that texture isn't the front of the undies.

blue plane Oso Blendy Two Layer Shader square template test 1 -- 20190720.png
    832 x 871 - 265K
    blue plane Oso Blendy Two Layer Shader square template test 2 -- 20190720.png
    832 x 871 - 572K
    white square test 2 in viewport 20190720.png
    1920 x 1050 - 810K
    oso3d blendy two layer undies test 1 -- 20190721.png
    832 x 871 - 563K
    Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on

Personally I recommend using something like Mudbox or Substance Painter to paint a mask so that your mask ends up exactly where you want it, rather than guessing from Photoshop.

Both programs are something like $10/month.

Blender is free, though I've never made heads or tails out of it, and may also help.

• Well, I decided to see just what part of the template corresponded to the part I was seeing acted on in my render test... so made an 8000x8000 white square with blocks of numbers across it, then applied THAT onto Blank Mask... and discovered it got applied onto one little catty-cornered cloth swatch on one small part of the template, and which had a diagonal line across it that appears to represent where horizontil is (or vertical? o0) on that liittle piece of cloth, and I realised that in the template I was looking at, a different selection of little panels in there are applied selectively and differently onto a number of different underpants in that set.  I.e. there's boxers, boxershorts, briefs, jockstrap, etc, and each one of them use a different selection of cloth panels off that template that the other ones don't use.... and I was trying to use the one for the boxers or something, expecting it to show up on the front of the briefs, which doesn't even USE that section.  **FACEDESKS**

Yeah, makes sense to have ONE texture to rule them all, since all your characters with different undies from that set would only need to load ONE texture for stuff like the Glossy Roughness, and so that ONE color-graphics texture (i.e. for the Christmas-themed set) could be applied to ALL of the different  types of undies in that clothing set, without having to make seperate Christmas-themed imagery textures for each of them, but it sure as heck sent me down a wild goose chase all the while tearing my hair out.  HAH!

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,122

Well this is a must have. 

• More or less, yup.  :) :)

Oh whew! Glad you got it sorted out!!

Yeah, it's one reason I like pulling out a 3d paint app because it will generally make stuff where I want without having to figure out what the uv template really is.

• Yeah, now I just need to work out how to make the black patch turn shiny-wet and keep the underlying fabric texture.  I think I missed a step somewhere.

• MalixMalix Posts: 27

Trying to figure this thing out. Is there a way to make the shader go up and down the arm? I don't want just a glove effect, I want it all the way up the shouler.

• Hi guys!

I made two scripts that copys all material's properties form 1 to 2 and from 2 to 1

To use it, select the figure that has the Oso Shader to be copied and run the script.

It will go through all surfaces from the selected object, try to find the second property (like 'Base Color' it will try to find 'Base Color 2') and copy its values to it, so you don't need to go through one by one.

I hope that this can help you!

dsa
    dsa
    Copy Properties 1 to 2.dsa
    718B
    dsa
    dsa
    Copy Properties 2 to 1.dsa
    718B

That's awesome, przewodo, thank you!

• galiengalien Posts: 137

Thanks for posting the scripts przewodo.  These will be very useful.

From a quick test, it looks as if they also work with the OSO Janus shader.

Oh nice. I've been trying to make sure my two layer shaders use consistent labeling; this is an extra incentive to do so...

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,122
    edited February 2020

I've been using this shader for a while now, and I just wanted to say a sincere thank you for making it. I made this mountain range (in Blender) and then applied an image texture of dirt and rocks to it. In order to get a believable scale, I had to increase the tiling settings. Of course, when I did that, I got the dreaded repeating texture that looks so horrible, and makes it obvious that a tiled texture is being used. Blendy shader to the rescue. Now I could apply a second image texture of different dirt and rocks, tile it differently, and blend the two together using yet a third image texture (alpha) of different dirt and rocks, and boom: realistic, organic, natural looking terrain, all in about two minutes, and this is just with normal maps. What a wicked cool product. I keep finding myself reaching for it to solve problems.

Blendy Mountains.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Those Things on

Really happy it's working well for you!

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

I've been using this shader for a while now, and I just wanted to say a sincere thank you for making it. I made this mountain range (in Blender) and then applied an image texture of dirt and rocks to it. In order to get a believable scale, I had to increase the tiling settings. Of course, when I did that, I got the dreaded repeating texture that looks so horrible, and makes it obvious that a tiled texture is being used. Blendy shader to the rescue. Now I could apply a second image texture of different dirt and rocks, tile it differently, and blend the two together using yet a third image texture (alpha) of different dirt and rocks, and boom: realistic, organic, natural looking terrain, all in about two minutes, and this is just with normal maps. What a wicked cool product. I keep finding myself reaching for it to solve problems.

This is so neat!

I wonder if there was anyway to do this with a height map, so the terrain would change as the mountain gets higher?

Well, one thing you can do is create a height map in some other program (you could easily do it with Position bake in Substance Painter, for example) and then use that map as a blend mask.

I was originally tinkering with various edge, height, and normal based layer shaders and each approach has quirks. I ultimately decided that making the masks separately would be less flexible but also much easier; you only need Oso Blendy instead of a half dozen unique shaders.

• Oso3D

Do you have any video tuts for using this shader?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,014

Blendy doesn't work for me in DS 4.12.1.76. It crashes Daz Studio during render, before the viewport can even display any rendered data. Is this a known problem? Is there a Blendy fix coming for this? 

For a simple test, I created a primitive cube and applied the Blendy shader - nothing else. It crashes Daz Studio 4.12.1.76  when I try to render. It renders fine in DS 4.11.0.383.

The log doesn't have any clues. The last info is:

2020-02-20 19:20:03.063 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 1 device(s):
    2020-02-20 19:20:03.063 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti)
    2020-02-20 19:20:03.063 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2020-02-20 19:20:03.063 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.2   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 980 Ti): Processing scene...
    2020-02-20 19:20:03.064 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : Using OptiX Prime version 5.0.1
    2020-02-20 19:20:03.064 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : Initializing OptiX Prime for CUDA device 0
    2020-02-20 19:20:03.064 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 9.727 KiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)2020-02-20 19:20:03.083 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : Importing lights for motion time 0
    2020-02-20 19:20:03.083 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : Initializing light hierarchy.
    2020-02-20 19:20:03.083 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : Light hierarchy initialization took 0.000s
    2020-02-20 19:20:03.083 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend stat : Texture memory consumption: 0.000 B for 0 bitmaps (device 0)

duf
    duf
    Cube with Blendy Shader.duf

All I can say is to put in a ticket; it works fine in the live build.

Oso3D said:

All I can say is to put in a ticket; it works fine in the live build.

By "live build", do you mean 4.12.0.86? I will submit a help request. Thanks.

Yes.

edited February 2020

Thanks, I submitted Request #322670.

Edit: I see there is another thread on the topic of Blendy crashing DS 4.12.1.

Post edited by barbult on
  • galiengalien Posts: 137

I remember that Divamakup posted last year that she had submitted a support ticket for this issue.

It's a pity that the known issues section in the product read-me's is not updated to prevent duplicate support tickets from being raised.

• SakarosSakaros Posts: 18
    edited April 2020

Just purchased Oso blendy, and it's giving me a weird problem—extra lines unrelated to the mask I selected.  It's easier to just attach an image showing the step-by-step than try to describe it.  Any idea what's going on here?

EDIT: New image added because—and this is true—Daz's own base figure is apparently offensive to Daz.  Not sure how long the original image was missing; sorry about that.

Mod edit :-  Image removed due to nudity

Oso Blendy goes crazy - Leave it to Beaver edition.png
    3570 x 940 - 2M
    Post edited by Sakaros on
  • Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,041
    edited April 2020

Hey Oso,

finally I found the same to test if blendy could be helpfully for my next project where I need skin transitions.

The idea is to transform one person into an other und using some blend masks to skin transitions while the transformation.

Sadly blendy doesn't seem to support all parameters while others are shared. That means it's impossible for some skins to look exactly like orignal skin, when it's blended.
    I guess it is not possible to provide all shader settings separately?

An other very annyoing issue that's a  hell of work to add all parameters from the orignal skin to blendy manually, after copying copies only to the original layer.
    Maybe you can update the product with a script, which copies the skin of a selected figure to blendy, as far as possible?
    That would be very helpfull.

And would it be possible that the blended skin could have an different UV map?

Post edited by Hurdy3D on

Good questions!

I could have made a shader that has all shader settings. It'd be extremely sluggish and hard to figure out because there'd be dozens and dozens of extra settings. The Iray Uber shader has the ability to drop blocks of code and to adjust visibility of parameters depending on what's being used. A shader made via shader mixer can't do that; any parameter that CAN be used, will be displayed. This requires some juggling between flexibility of the shader, and the ability of a user to wade through all the parameters. In addition, each additional option for the custom shader will slow things down.

Yes, copying layers can be a bit time consuming. Unfortunately, I don't know the least thing about scripting.

Finally... no, as far as I'm aware of you can't have a single surface with multiple UV maps. Which isn't to say there isn't a method, just nothing I've seen.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,041

Hey Oso3D,

okay, see your points.

But what do you think of making a new product with the focus of skin blending?

First some background informations:
    For skin blending I worked first with Geoshells. These have one big disadvantage, because of translucency. Many skins have translucency settings which make them appear much darker when used on a geoshell.
    After that I developed a nodejs script which merges two skin maps (with a opacitymap) to one. That works great, but has the disadvantages that with skins shares one shader setting. Also not great, but better than using geoshells.

For skin blending it would be very very very usefull to have a solution which allows me to use 100% of the original skin shader settings, without having the darkening effekt.

The idea is, for the scripting part, you could ask an other PA like @RiverSoftArt or Meipe (https://www.daz3d.com/meipe). Meipe is primary active on an other store and doing Geocrafts and did a lot of scripts which copies skin settings to the Geocraft.

You could do a handfull of different skin blending shaders with all the most common settings for skins from different PAs.
    For the script you would select two figures (source and target). The script would applay to the target figure the matching skin blending shader and copies all the settings from the source figure.

About different UV maps. I was afraid of this. A work around is that we can transfer the UV maps of the target figure manually with the map transfer tool the the matching uv map. Sadly, that can not be part of the script at the moment, because DAZ doesn't offer a script API of the map transfer tool yet :/

What do you think? Does this sounds good for you?

Sounds cool but not for me, I'm sort of sucked into the world of creating figures for now.

Though it occurs to me that one possible easier approach would be trying to come up with settings that allow for geoshells to be more functional for skin. I'll poke at that.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,270
    edited April 2020

If simply changing UVmaps would help, I did work on something a time ago for skin clothing.

To have: "For skin blending it would be very very very usefull to have a solution which allows me to use 100% of the original skin shader settings, without having the darkening effekt." is certainly possible then.

One makes a new uvset, for clothing one can actually redesign it within reason and limits of course, then to the model first apply the main skin texture, then apply a preset to load the new UVset only to the desired channels.

Skin Clothing UVmaps.png
    1600 x 860 - 522K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on