[Released] Oso Blendy Two Layer Shader for Iray

1235»

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,014

Blendy is working in DS Beta again now that 4.12.1.109 is available.

• lululee1lululee1 Posts: 332

Hi,

I fine this totally confusing to figure out.

I know you have a lot of "text" explaining this but as a visual artist I am lost.

If you had either a video or a pdf that "showed" just a simple setup it would be really helpful otherwise I have no clue how to work with this and I would really like to

be able to use it.

Cheerio

lululee

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,270
    edited May 2020

Hi, here are a few pictures to get you started.

z001 apply Shader.png
    1600 x 860 - 450K
    z002 Search by 2.png
    1600 x 860 - 493K
    z003 first I applied the legs mask - then I changed the color for Base Color 2, spot render to see results.png
    1600 x 860 - 539K
    z004 applying a RST to Color 2.png
    1600 x 860 - 566K
    z005 and this is where the mask is put - you can make your own masks too.png
    1600 x 860 - 454K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • lululee1lululee1 Posts: 332

Hi Catherine3678ab,

Thank you soooooo much.

I really want to learn this as I think the product is a really good product.

This will help me a lot.  Thanks so much for taking your valuable time to make this images for me.

Cheerio

lululee

lululee1 said:

Hi Catherine3678ab,

Thank you soooooo much.

I really want to learn this as I think the product is a really good product.

This will help me a lot.  Thanks so much for taking your valuable time to make this images for me.

Cheerio

lululee

You're quite welcome, have fun :-)

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,041
    edited June 2020

Is this intended?

On seams I get some kind of glow effect, when I blend different skins.

In this example I use the Torso and Legs Mask with comes with the product.
    If the mask is bleck on a seam I get this glow effect.

blendy.png
    631 x 208 - 165K
    Post edited by Hurdy3D on
    gerster said:

Is this intended?

Do you mean that you have the black mask both edging together there? Or is that the new skin colours?

At any rate no seams are not supposed to show, check the buffer zone aka seam allowance.

gerster said:

Is this intended?

Do you mean that you have the black mask both edging together there? Or is that the new skin colours?

At any rate no seams are not supposed to show, check the buffer zone aka seam allowance.

It's two black mask both edging together.

Where do I find the buffer zone?

gerster said:
    gerster said:

Is this intended?

It's two black mask both edging together.

Where do I find the buffer zone?

Okay, I'll check my files too. The buffer zone is that area all around the entire uvmap. Can be fixed in an image editor. {Keep a copy of the originals as backup}

edited June 2020

yeah, googled that about buffer zone.

I convert the the blended skin via map transfer. There's seems to be an bleed option. But that to 1, but the images still look the same.

edit: forget that with map transfer. The underyling skin which is NOT transfered via map transfer has this seam glowing effect

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,969

Try setting instance optimization to Speed or Memory? Also make sure spectral rendering is off.

I've experienced some weirdnesses with each of those.

gerster said:

I convert the the blended skin via map transfer. There's seems to be an bleed option. But that to 1, but the images still look the same.

edit: forget that with map transfer. The underyling skin which is NOT transfered via map transfer has this seam glowing effect

Okay, glad you found the source of the glow. I haven't tried map transfer {only so many days in the hour} but if 1 is referring to what I think it is, I'd try for 3 or 4 at least.

Spectral Rendering is off.

optimization was set to auto, to speed and memory manuelly. Didn't helped.

edited June 2020

Okay,

I removed from the character every morph and hopefully every texture (expect the blendy maks).

It's defenitly a blendy issue.

I also attach the duf file.

blendy 02.png
    1264 x 543 - 977K
    duf
    duf
    blendy issue.duf
    gerster said:

Okay, glad you found the source of the glow. I haven't tried map transfer {only so many days in the hour} but if 1 is referring to what I think it is, I'd try for 3 or 4 at least.

Well, I didn't find the source of glow.  wink
    But I'm very conviced that's this a blendy or iRay issue. Defenitly not a skin texture, after this issue is still there, after I removed every single texture ;)

I did a quick test, not seeing the effect. I think your best bet is putting in a ticket, perhaps Customer Service will be more able to address the problem.

Oso3D said:

I did a quick test, not seeing the effect. I think your best bet is putting in a ticket, perhaps Customer Service will be more able to address the problem.

did you used my duf file?

Huh.

Ok, this is really nutty.

The problem isn't blendy, I don't think. The problem is that the transmitted color for your skin surfaces are slightly different (arms and torso seem to be one, then face and legs, etc). Make sure they are all the same color.

Then the seams vanish.

Oso3D said:

Huh.

The problem isn't blendy, I don't think. The problem is that the transmitted color for your skin surfaces are slightly different (arms and torso seem to be one, then face and legs, etc). Make sure they are all the same color.

Then the seams vanish.

uhhh yes... that was the trick!

The mistake was how I copied the colors. I added the colour now as a custom color and added the custom color to the different surfuces and it's working. Thank you, that was helpfully.

Oso3D said:

Huh.

Then the seams vanish.

Okay I think you've earned 'the good detective award' :-)

• Hi!

Loving this product so far, great work!

But I'm having trouble with Genesis 8 Centaur specifically (I'm trying the female first), making it so the human skin has a smooth transition into the horse skin (like the Maxx Centaur, for example). Is there a guide anywhere on how to do that? I found a brief section on it in the Readme, but didn't have any luck.

Geograft blends are fairly easy with Oso Blendy. For example, with a centaur, you could put the equine
    torso skin as the second layer of a torso material and an appropriate transition blend mask. With a
    preset that only applies second layer, you can then apply this to most existing skins without a problem.
    The one obstacle you may run into is a skin thats based on a different SSS Mode (chromatic vs. mono).

Seems simple enough, but it's just not working for me for some reason. I've been at this for a couple of hours and feel like I'm aimlessly throwing myself at the problem at this point, so any guidance would be appreciated if possible! Thanks for your time regardless. smiley

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 561

@Oso3D (or anyone else for that matter) is there any way to get this working without a donor object from which surfaces are copied?

For example, I have a piece of clothing that has a normal map for stitches/crease etc and I want to apply a tileable shader for the fabric surface diffuse/normal/bump etc.

My understanding is that said fabric shader can't be applied directly to a surface that has OSO Blendy shader applied to it, because it would reset the shader back to Iray Uber.

Maybe there's a simpler way to achieve what I need, or it may be impossible - to have the flexbility to apply a tileable shader to surfaces that have their own normal, without replacing the existing 1x1 scale normal map with details!

• mrpenguin76mrpenguin76 Posts: 20
    edited March 2023

The easiest way to do that for Iray Uber is to first apply your shader and set the overall tiling to what you want it to be for the the Diffuse and the others (IE: as an example setting it to tile at 10 so you see 10.0 in the tiling fields above UV Set) Now with your TILED shader in place, go and manually REPLACE/ADD the normal with the one you want (It is useful to have a second copy of the garment with that normal already on it so it's easier to find in your textures list, in case it got dumped from the texture list when you applied the tiled shader with only the orignal garment in the scene) into the Normal image surface.

Now click on the Normal image you just placed to bring up your list of used textures, and select ---Image Editor--- (NOT LAYERED Image Editor). You will see the tab Instance Tiling, and it should be reading what ever you set the tiling to (as in the example 10.0) for the Horizontal and Veritcal Tiles, Set those both to 1.0 hit accept and there you go! Single Tile Normal again.

Side note this works in all image fields not just the Normal field, and of course now that you know this you can also tile only the Normal in other cases where you want your diffuse/glossy/etc. tiled 1x1 but a normal tiled at say 8x8 (or the bump, a weight, whatever! ) Basically you can MANUALLY tile every image at different values using the Image Editor...

Hope that helps

Post edited by mrpenguin76 on
  • Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 561

I'm already aware of this technique, but thanks for the response! I was trying to avoid the need for someone to go into the image editor to change tiling, so I think whichever way you do it there's got to be a compromise.