I am done with Hexagon - any alternatives?

124»

Comments

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    It looks like another of the new [crash]bugs DAZ was so kind to add to the latest version.

Daz bugs - the gift that keeps on giving :)
    Sounds like certain diseases!:sick:

• kenmokenmo Posts: 906
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Diagnostic tool? I checked Hex and I do not see such a thing…

With the object selected, select any of the tools highlighted in the attached pic - if your model does have that particular problem, it will be highlighted.

Thanks...that's seems to have helped quite a bit. Hex is much more stable but still does hiccup...just not as frequently....

Here's a late 1940's, early 1950's styled panel truck model I'm working on. It is powered by an early Ford Flathead V8 engine. It's based on the early flathead Ford V8's. The model that had the distributor mounted in front where the water pump would be on an early 1950's Chevy V8. And the oil filter mounted up high with the oil pump on the bell housing....

panel_delivery.jpg
    1101 x 659 - 208K
    Flathead03.jpg
    1680 x 1006 - 307K
    Flathead02.jpg
    1101 x 692 - 162K
    Flathead01.jpg
    1101 x 659 - 145K
  • TimothyBTimothyB Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

I've finally moved on to Modo. Not because I couldn't do what I wanted in Hexagon for my modeling needs, but I need something a bit more robust to handle new projects I'm working on. From organizing meshes, weight maps, morphs, materials, rigging and deformers, some real rendering, etc. Though, I've also always used ZBrush to fill in some of those needs until now. With Hexagon, all the little glitches pile up and and just make it difficult to use despite the fast modeling. Modo has its own bugs and shortcomings, like any software, but makes up for it with what it brings to the table.

It's pricey for sure. I bought a used copy of 701 for $800 + $100 license fee transfer, but also included $350 worth of plug-ins and kits that stick with the license. That's one way to get it, or wait for their 40% off sales. In the long run, I think it's been a wise investment and now I can't live without it. Their upgrade policy is pretty good too, as you are not forced to upgrade with every new release like other software forces you to.

And as far as the future of Hexagon, with zero updates this long, I just don't know what to think. I love using it, but I don't see support and stability improving. It's basically on life support, and do you really want to rely solely on that? You never know when the next OS update will break it, especially with Mac. There probably will be some kicking and screaming, but better to start learning a new program now for the future. Plus, the longer you wait to switch to up and coming software, like 3D-Coat and Modo, the more the price goes up as it matures.

Adapting to Modo:
    With using Modo, it's different, but not too bad. Logical thinking from Hexagon won't always work the same way in Modo. Like Yoda said, you must first unlearn what you've learned. You might be trying to extract a new edge inward from a group of selected polygons and you'd think an edge extra tool will do the trick. Such as Modo's edge slide with duplicate on. That works great for loops and edges, but in this case of a group of polygons, the bevel tool works for an odd selection to extract an edge inward from around the border of the selection. Also helps they also have great forum community there to help too. People also develop scripts and tools for added functionality.

While you may be frustrated trying to do things in Modo you use to do in Hexagon with ease, at the same time you'll discover new things you can't do in Hexagon. That helps balance things out, lol. There's also a lot of tutorials out there from the comment, The Foundry, and even Digital Tutors is stepping up their Modo game lately.

Still Using Hexagon:
    I'll probably jump into Hexagon time to time for little things that it does better. Though, right now I'm having a problem where after opening Hexagon, the application window disappears. This is on a Macbook Pro and may be related to disconnecting external monitors when it was open. But I've tried everything so far to get it back.

What's Bugging Me:
    Oh, things that currently drive me batty with Hexagon. Both PC and Mac, the material listings on the left fails to draw, coming up blank, so impossible to organize and edit. I have to select a shader domain set to a material I want to edit. And with shader domains, on both platforms, you lose them too often. Such as when as using certain tools, it keeps the shader domains after using it, but if you dare to undo the tool, Hex erases the domains, even if you redo. Organizing objects in the scene is so clunky. Difficult to select things you want in groups, move them in and out of groups. Or the fact you constantly lose names you give them when removing smoothing from the dynamic modeling panel. On PC, hiding polygons is incredibly unstable. I found hiding shading domains on Mac helps, but again, you constantly lose those. Not going to complain about random crashes, as it can happen in Modo plenty too, ZBrush even.

Overall:
    If you are just going to continue modeling the way you are, Hexagon is great. But if you are constantly trying to push your limit and improve your skills, even move into freelance, it may be time to look into a new program to add to your library, no matter the cost. Modo is pushing it for the average person when it's on its best sale, but I can't think of any alternative that isn't twice the cost and annual forced upgrades.

Post edited by TimothyB on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2014

Tried Blender 2.49 got frightened off, went to Hex, too many instability issues on too many systems, went back to Blender 2.6 and I've stayed with Blender ever since. Try it for a week or two and keep google handy and you might be pleasantly surprised at how powerful and misunderstood this application really is.

TimothyB said:
    Overall:
    If you are just going to continue modeling the way you are, Hexagon is great. But if you are constantly trying to push your limit and improve your skills, even move into freelance, it may be time to look into a new program to add to your library, no matter the cost. Modo is pushing it for the average person when it's on its best sale, but I can't think of any alternative that isn't twice the cost and annual forced upgrades.

I don't see how a $1,500.00 application is viable to the average hobbyist. Blender is free and pretty much covers most of Modo's functionality. They veer off at some point but Blender is not a toy because it's free, it can run circles around most modelers and it holds its own with the higher end ones.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Modo looks really good, the interface is very comprehensible, and the functionality is high. I just can't justify the price for my needs.

I am looking at Blender, Nvil and Wings3D

Nvil was released as 64-bit app within the last month, so it seems like a viable option now. I find the Nvil interface preferable to Blender, but I think I can learn either one with about the same effort.

Now I have to go look at Wings given the info I have on Blender and Nvil for comparison.

• TimothyBTimothyB Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

I don't see how a $1,500.00 application is viable to the average hobbyist. Blender is free and pretty much covers most of Modo's functionality. They veer off at some point but Blender is not a toy because it's free, it can run circles around most modelers and it holds its own with the higher end ones.

I keep forgetting about Blender, sorry about that. I once experimented animation with for a week. It was a little difficult to pick up, but what I learned I liked. Later I was using a student version of Maya for learning animation and instantly wish I could do some simple I learned in blender.

I'd say anyone using Hexagon, start trying out Blender as an alternative while you have a chance. Even if not for modeling, it will add a lot more functionality than Hexagon offers, unless you happen to be using Carrara for such things.

Modo at retail is pricy, but I'd only suggest to always wait for the 40% sale to get it around $900. You can also find used copies of 701 for around the same price in their forum marketplace through the year. Used copies often net you tutorials and kits with the license. Modo can only be resold up to one version back, so 601 can be found for around 300-400 and its modeling tools are just as strong. And from what I was told, you can upgrade from any version to the latest, no matter how far you are back, so no rush to upgrade to 701 or even when 801 is released. So there are some affordable options to into the software.

But again, can't be free with Blender.

Post edited by TimothyB on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 906
    edited February 2014

I completed the modeling of my 1950s Panel truck. Here's a rendering done in Vue Complete 2014...

And a screen capture of the wire frame in Hexagon ver 2.5...

For texturing I used UV Mapper Classic and Photoshop Elements 11...

Cheers

Ken

1950s__panel_truckKRM.jpg
    1100 x 660 - 211K
    Surfers_ParadiseKRM.jpg
    1100 x 847 - 629K
    Post edited by kenmo on