Shows That Inspire Animations

Comments

• I still want a Carrara Pandora scene

• now this is cool

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i havent seen the blue people movie.  worth watching?

finished hunger games last night, no recipes in it, i feel jipped

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    Mystarra said:

i havent seen the blue people movie.  worth watching?

7.8 at IMDB, four stars (out of four) from Roger Ebert, so the answer is probably yes. But ... 

"I've complained that many recent films abandon story telling in their third acts and go for wall-to-wall action. Cameron essentially does that here ... "  (Ebert)

It is almost three hours long, and the last hour (or more) I was squirming in my seat, having seen the same "good guys down, now back up" sequence over and over.  With no real story left, the spectacular effects were just eye candy that we'd already seen repeatedly.  I suspect Cameron overrode any editors attempt to cut his fantastically expensive CGI ...

Steven Spielberg spent a month on a barge shooting a mechanical shark for "Jaws".  It all got cut.  And that's a better movie (8.0 at IMDB, an Ebert "Great Movie")

"neeed a bigger boat"

started binge watching "last Airbender"  smiley animated version.

Earlier I mentioned "The Greatest Showman" as an inspiration for a circus animation.  I am now watching an even better inspiration, PBS' "Circus" (2010, 8.3 at IMDB).  The first (and I think all) episodes here:

https://www.pbs.org/video/circus-first-of-may/

First of six episode summary: "Walden, New York is home base of the Big Apple Circus. Here, the 150 members of the company gather from all over the country and the world to put together a new show for their year-long, town-to-town tour. As the sets are built, costumes designed and fitted, acts rehearsed and refined, we get acquainted with the members of the Big Apple family."

“Damn everything but the circus! ...damn everything that is grim, dull, motionless, unrisking, inward turning, damn everything that won't get into the circle, that won't enjoy. That won't throw it's heart into the tension, surprise, fear and delight of the circus, the round world, the full existence...”

― E.E. Cummings

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,128

FenixPhoenix gave me a filmmaker color link that might be of interest.

Pretty cool.

https://digitalsynopsis.com/design/film-movies-color-psychology/

Diomede said:

FenixPhoenix gave me a filmmaker color link that might be of interest.

Pretty cool.

https://digitalsynopsis.com/design/film-movies-color-psychology/

A good demo of an interesting topic in just several minutes.  Thanks.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056

I want a movie of this

Disney bought the rights to Lloyd Alexander's children's books back in 2016.

https://www.vox.com/2015/8/18/9166631/chronicles-prydain-alexander

a catchy tune doesnt hurt

this will be stuck in my head all day.  BEWARE!!

up to season 4 of grimm.

tee hee  juliette kicked addilyn butt.  was a long, long build up to that

watched the series finale of Grimm

now i fell my plot is weak.  need more death and world damnation.

i didnt want to write anything depressing frown

it'd the old cant have light without dark

The recent movie "The Lighthouse" is pretty well done, 7.7 at IMDB, " ... uses sound design and filmmaking tools to push you there too. It has the feel of watching someone else’s nightmare, and it’s not one that’s going to end well." (Brian Tallerico at rogerebert.com).  I have several lighthouse models, some very well done, and I could see an animation in these solitary locations (see attached).. 

One interesting thing among many in the production, is the choice of frame size:  "1.19:1 (19:16): Sometimes referred to as the Movietone ratio, this ratio was used briefly during the transitional period when the film industry was converting to sound, from 1926 to 1932 approx. It is produced by superimposing an optical soundtrack over a full-gate 1.3 aperture in printing, resulting in an almost square image."  I actually did think it was square when I watched it.  Enhanced the feeling of claustrophobia in the remote, cramped location.

lighthouse.jpg
    751 x 1040 - 435K

claustrophobic doesnt sound like nice feeling >.<

i was about 10 minutes into a  Vikings season 5 episode when i figured out there was no Ragnar.

not inspiring without Ragnar.

it was like i,claudius after Livia died,  like a decaf starbucks.

edited March 2020
    Post edited by Mistara on
    Mystiarra said:

claustrophobic doesnt sound like nice feeling >.<

Indeed.  It is categorized as a Horror movie.  A classic example of using claustrophobia is "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956), where the protagonist keeps getting caught in tighter and tighter places.  "The Lighthouse" also has the feel of a haunted house movie, as the two men have no way off the island where the lighthouse is, due to a storm keeping the relief boat away.  "Alien" (1979) has also been described as a haunted house movie.

level of detail. and costuming. yes

whats your favorite space battle scene?

favorite space battle scene?

Original Star Trek series - first episode that they introduce Romulans - circular energy blast approaching Enterprise on view screen gradually getting hollow and fading as Enterprise retreats, then when the reduced energy circle hits, the camera shaking and all the crew grabbing things, falling down, etc.  Simple but effective.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593
    Diomede said:

Original Star Trek series - first episode that they introduce Romulans - circular energy blast approaching Enterprise on view screen gradually getting hollow and fading as Enterprise retreats, then when the reduced energy circle hits, the camera shaking and all the crew grabbing things, falling down, etc.  Simple but effective.

The "energy blast" appeared to be a bucket of water and "dry ice" filmed from overhead, the vapors spilling over the edges.  Add a red filter and simply double expose it upon star field without an optical matte and the illusion was impressively effective!

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern said:
    Diomede said:

The "energy blast" appeared to be a bucket of water and "dry ice" filmed from overhead, the vapors spilling over the edges.  Add a red filter and simply double expose it upon star field without an optical matte and the illusion was impressively effective!

Sincerely,

Bill

i dont remember that episode.  the romulan ship is kewl.  too bad it broke in the whales movie

The most memorable space battle scene is the very opening of the first Star Wars movie, with the huge effing ship coming down from the top of th screen.  I had to coerce my wife to go see it, she was not much interested in another "space ship movie".  She was instantly converted to a fan.

A favorite line is from the movie "The Last Starfighter", as our young hero pilot Alex (with his alien copilot Grig) thinks he is leading the Starfighters out to battle with the enemy fleet of the evil Xur:

Alex Rogan: Hold it! There's no fleet? No Starfighters, no plan? One ship, you, me, and that's it?

Grig: Exactly! Xur thinks you're still on Earth. Classic military strategy, surprise attack.

Alex Rogan: It'll be a slaughter!

Grig: That's the spirit!

END QUOTE

Redfern said:
    Diomede said:

Sincerely,

Bill

Thanks for the background, Bill. 

laugh

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593
    Mystiarra said:
    Redfern said:
    Diomede said:

Sincerely,

Bill

i dont remember that episode.  the romulan ship is kewl.  too bad it broke in the whales movie

That was a Klingon vessel.  Though during the earliest drafts of "The Search for Spock", the ship was intended to be Romulan as it had a cloaking device.  But somewhere along the way, it was decided to use Klingons as they would be distinctively different looking from the Romulans.  (I guess general audiences not well versed in Trek lore would confuse the Romulans for Vulcans and vice versa.)  But, they maintained the craft's ability to turn invisible as it was a plot point.  Until that movie, it was assumed only the Romulans had cloaking technology, at least as expressed through dialogue.  Since "The Search for Spock", the general assumption cloaking tech was the Romulans' "payment" for the use of Klingon ships in "The Enterprise Incident", a third season episode from the original series.  In reality, the idea Rommies using Klingon ships was simply a cost savings choice for the series production.  A cool new ship miniature (the Klingon D-7) was designed and built, so rather spend even more money for Romulan ships (the one from "Balance of Terror" was destroyed), a simple addition of two lines, one for Scotty and a second for Spock, implied an element of political intrigue between the Federation's major adversaries.

Sincerely,

Bill

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056

oh to be able to do what he does in Carrara

sga battle scene  yes for muzzle flash

vs a hive ship

andromeda battle, 

launch all fighters is exciting in all scifi movies