Puffing a new breath into Bryce

BrycetechBrycetech Posts: 6
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi all
Long time indeed all...
I just contacted DAZ in hopes to puff some refreshed breath into Bryce. I certainly hope I hear from them soon.
If not, then I'll be coming back to the community to ask for what I have proposed to DAZ.

nice to see bryce alive and well.

love seeing all the new renders!

building anticipation?
:)

would love to see your best renders!
please post links!
thanx

BT

Comments

• edited December 1969

Curiosity piqued! :coolsmile:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2013

Moving this to the Bryce Discussion forum, as Brycers very rarely venture outside their home space :coolsmile:

Welcome back.

Have you seen our long running render thread in the Bryce forum.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,368
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Moving this to the Bryce Discussion forum, as Brycers very rarely venture outside their home space :coolsmile:

Welcome back.

Which in my opinion is a big problem, it limits Bryce to those who use that forum keeping yourselves separate from the rest of the forum goers has the potential for making it seem as if you are not very friendly.

edited December 1969

Maybe it is just that we don't like the mayhem of the Commons. Brycers are very friendly, very helpful and like to keep our forum going strong along those lines. We have a great community spirit.

There are a few who wander, but most prefer to stay where they are happy.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,368
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Maybe it is just that we don't like the mayhem of the Commons. Brycers are very friendly, very helpful and like to keep our forum going strong along those lines. We have a great community spirit.

There are a few who wander, but most prefer to stay where they are happy.

I'm sure you are all very friendly, unfortunately the - lets keep ourselves to ourselves and we like how our part of the forums runs attitude, can give the opposite impression.
    The opening post of this thread got my attention and I intended to follow the thread, but to be honest now it is here in the Bryce forum I will probably forget all about it.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,062
    edited December 1969

I was curious enough to google http://brycetech.daz3d.com/ and admit not being in Bryce forum it caught my eye

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Welcome back.

Which in my opinion is a big problem, it limits Bryce to those who use that forum keeping yourselves separate from the rest of the forum goers has the potential for making it seem as if you are not very friendly.

I agree - of course there are only about 15 people that post here .

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited December 1969

@scorpio64dragon - have a look at the new gallery and enter bryce. Chohole is right. Most of us don't fancy the Commons because we're a friendly and helpful bunch. Those who qualify, are gladly admitted and welcomed to the Bryce Talk forum :coolsmile:

@wendy?catz - ah, you've found it. This is a very unfortunate affair. Brycetech told DAZ 3D (who supported the site) that he can't keep it up-to-date anymore and was looking for someone who would take it over. That was about 2 years ago. DAZ 3D asked around. There was a person that accepted the challenge. I've emailed him several times but he never ever heard back from DAZ 3D. The folks that wanted to revive the site have left DAZ 3D meanwhile. It appears that DAZ 3D's interest in Bryce currently oscillates imperceptibly around zero.

edited November 2013

Did you run out of fingers to count on bigh? :coolsmirk:

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

Brycetech said:
    Hi all
    Long time indeed all...
    I just contacted DAZ in hopes to puff some refreshed breath into Bryce. I certainly hope I hear from them soon.
    If not, then I'll be coming back to the community to ask for what I have proposed to DAZ.

nice to see bryce alive and well.

love seeing all the new renders!

building anticipation?
    :)

would love to see your best renders!
    please post links!
    thanx

BT

I can't wait to find out what you have up your sleeve...
    Good to know you are still around, I haven't seen you for ages.
    I was just looking at your rain tutorial recently.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Welcome back.

scorpio isn't the same thing true with others? Do very many from other forums venture into the Bryce forum? Because they don't visit here are we to imply they aren't friendly?

I basically boils down to which software you have an interest in, which you use the most or are the most successful using. A person is going to spend more time in that area of a forum than others, and it may never cross their mind to visit other areas.

For me, it's also about the amount of time it would take to visit other parts of this site, especially now that the Gallery is up and running.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited November 2013

bigh said:
    chohole said:

Welcome back.

Go to the Terragen Forum at planet-side.com.. you'll see that there's about 15 people that post in it...

No matter about the number of people that post here, like terragen, there's a lot of people that use Bryce. We can not judge the craze that people give to the software on the number of people who post here.

Post edited by c-ram on
    edited November 2013

c-ram said:
    bigh said:
    chohole said:

Welcome back.

Go to the Terragen Forum at planet-side.com.. you'll see that there's about 15 people that post in it...

No matter about the number of people that post here, like terragen, there's a lot of people that use Bryce. We can not judge the craze that people give to the software on the number of people who post here.

Plus of course, when that comment was originally posted there were threads by almost 15 different people showing on the front page and all those threads had replies by different people in them,

Added to that, the render challenge had 16 entries at first try and has increased in number of entries each time since.
    The Render thread is now on it's 6th iteration, so 500+ pages of chat and renders, just in the one thread.

There are plenty of new threads posted regularly

That is hardly the dead forum that he was trying in his inimical way to insinuate it was.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited November 2013

Brycetech: I for one feel like a kid at Christmas can hardly wait to see what you have in mind....Trish P.S. most of my art is listed in the art forum here at Daz ..listed under My muse is on vacation....Don't know how to link you to it......sorry

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

This http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28462/ would be a possibility. :coolsmirk:

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Cute Horo...I like a dummy clicked on it because I thought it was an idea for Brycetech....LOL.....Thank you...Trish

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Brycetech said:

Wut?

Unless you're prepared to pour a lot of money/time down the drain, I doubt if emails will do much. Why not just enjoy using what you have?

edited December 1969

Oroboros said:
    Unless you're prepared to pour a lot of money/time down the drain, I doubt if emails will do much. Why not just enjoy using what you have?

You can either try or give-up and sulk. I've did it twice. The first time I got an (noncommittal) answer within one day, the second time needed some encouraging reminders until a reply came forward after 3 months. At least I tried.
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    You can either try or give-up and sulk.

There's a third option. Give up... AND ENJOY USING WHAT YOU HAVE. I'm using Bryce. It's doing what I want of it,on machines capable of running it.

The only ting I sulk about is people believing anger, passion and impatience is a just reason for flaming in a user forum. It's cyclic. Every couple of months some disgruntled penny-pincher discovers they can't use this extremely cheap, outdated software on their new computers and posts here for the first time without ANY effort in checking past posts or stickies, saying "Hey! This is evil! Let's all form a mob, get together with our pitchforks and torches and storm the castle!".

And we're just users sharing tips and images.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Oroboros said:
    Horo said:
    You can either try or give-up and sulk.

There's a third option. Give up... AND ENJOY USING WHAT YOU HAVE. I'm using Bryce. It's doing what I want of it,on machines capable of running it.

The only ting I sulk about is people believing anger, passion and impatience is a just reason for flaming in a user forum. It's cyclic. Every couple of months some disgruntled penny-pincher discovers they can't use this extremely cheap, outdated software on their new computers and posts here for the first time without ANY effort in checking past posts or stickies, saying "Hey! This is evil! Let's all form a mob, get together with our pitchforks and torches and storm the castle!".

And we're just users sharing tips and images.

You're of course correct, Oroboros. But I think it comes down for many people as not wanting to go down with the ship. Why invest in learning new skills in Bryce if Bryce will be dead in two years? Couldn't the time spent learning Bryce be applied to learning something else with a more certain future? One thing is certain, Bryce does most things in a backwards manner compared to the other major 3d apps, so skills gained in Bryce don't always translate well to other applications.

Most people don't even care where Bryce is going, so long as its going somewhere. Knowing the application is still alive makes the time spent "enjoying what we already have" seem worthwhile in a life where time and money are in short supply for so many people.

For example. Should I be learning Vue? I mean, clearly I love making landscapes, and Vue has tools that make it much easier than in Bryce. What takes weeks to set up in Bryce might take only hours in Vue. Why would I stick with Bryce at all? Answer, because somewhere deep inside I have faith that Bryce will be updated again and the things I like in Vue will find their way into Bryce where I want them. Without hope, it all seems quite pointless and Vue starts looking like the only option. Nothing against Vue, but I am a Bryce user for life and always will be....I think...unless Vue sucks me in which I'm trying to avoid....see what I mean?

edited November 2013

You're of course correct, Oroboros. But I think it comes down for many people as not wanting to go down with the ship. Why invest in learning new skills in Bryce if Bryce will be dead in two years?

Indeed. Current complaints agaist Bryce here are a wonderful combination of Greed and Pride. Greed, because even though new purchasers only spent $20 to get the application, their gamble didn't pay off. (Bryce 5.5 is still available free by-the-way, and gives you everything except some area lights, HDRI, multi-core optimisation and a list of inconsistent crash-prone bugsets some call 'features').

And then Pride fans the flame wars because they made a poor technological decision in purchasing Bryce and are unwilling to admit it. (The decision was clouded by the miserly 'Greed' cloud detailed earlier.)

Couldn't the time spent learning Bryce be applied to learning something else with a more certain future? One thing is certain, Bryce does most things in a backwards manner compared to the other major 3d apps, so skills gained in Bryce don't always translate well to other applications.

Good question and point. In my field, diversification is the norm. I use several apps to produce an animation, but that doesn't mean I have to KNOW EVERYTHING about each of these apps. I model in Blender, render in Bryce, add effects in Final Cut, titles in either LiveType or Screenflow, sound in Audacity, Reason and GarageBand. All of these apps have huge, overlapping toolsets: I could do everything in Blender, but there are aspects of it that are far faster to do in other applications, with better, more intuitive parameters.

Even now, Messers Wernli and Brinnen are using WIngs3D to and Octane to complement their use of Bryce, and (so long as their use is not for animation) these are exactly the sorts of collaborative software workflows professionals use.

For example. Should I be learning Vue? [...] What takes weeks to set up in Bryce might take only hours in Vue. Why would I stick with Bryce at all? Answer, because somewhere deep inside I have faith that Bryce will be updated again and the things I like in Vue will find their way into Bryce where I want them.

Ah. Well, faith-based arguments are where I leave :) By definition, faith is 'belief without evidence', and I'm far more amazed and inspired by the evidence of nature than the fantasies of man. My hope is that I can use what I've got well. If Bryce gets an update, then like 7.1 I'll look at it, see what I can use, and adopt/discard as I see fit.

Post edited by Oroboros on
    edited December 1969

Bryce 5.5 is not legally available, free or otherwise.

edited November 2013

My apologies.

Bryce 5.5 can be re-downloaded free, legally, so long as you acquired it from DAZ in the past: free or otherwise.

Or you have an old CD from a magazine that legally offered Bryce 5.5 when DAZ 3D offered it for free (thx MacFormat Magazine!).

Post edited by Oroboros on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

You're alive!!! Yay!!!

• BrycetechBrycetech Posts: 6
    edited December 2013

OMG!!!
    I had no ideal that I would come back to this kind of reply!
    Sorry I had not come back sooner now..I can see a desperate want/need for some kind of breath to bryce.

so here's the status...

I had approached DAZ and have not gotten any response.
    my proposal was to offer all brycetech dvd tutorials and content for free!
    so..since I have gotten no response, I'm now coming to the community to host this.

this will be all brycetech tutorial dvd's
    all included models, tutorials, videos..everything
    but its must all be for free download and available for free to all brycers
    we need the breath..we need the push!

if you have a way/place to host them all..this represents GB of data! please contact me!

brycetech at yahoo.com
    my time is limited, but if someone has the bandwidth and wants to help get us back online and get our community some free powerful tutorials, models and videos to use as inspiration, please let me know!!!

BT

still overwhelmed by all the responses!!!

Post edited by Brycetech on
    edited December 2013

Ooh, any chance of getting the old Bryce tech site back on line, there were some super tutorials on there.

We do have links to a low res version of the Tutorials DVDs that were once on the site here, They are linked in the list of Bryce tutorials in the New Users Forum. Sticky list of Bryce Tutorials.

It is really nice to see you back, and posting here.

I for one have always been grateful for your help and support, over on the other site.

Still trying to find my back up of this fellow
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=38&aid=10995_1muYi7Gz2aeZ50OOkvx8&board_id=1

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

am hoping some one can do the hosting .
    to bad DAZ didn't .

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,924
    edited December 1969

Brycetech said:
    OMG!!!
    I had no ideal that I would come back to this kind of reply!
    Sorry I had not come back sooner now..I can see a desperate want/need for some kind of breath to bryce.

so here's the status...

I had approached DAZ and have not gotten any response.
    my proposal was to offer all brycetech dvd tutorials and content for free!
    so..since I have gotten no response, I'm now coming to the community to host this.

this will be all brycetech tutorial dvd's
    all included models, tutorials, videos..everything
    but its must all be for free download and available for free to all brycers
    we need the breath..we need the push!

if you have a way/place to host them all..this represents GB of data! please contact me!

brycetech at yahoo.com
    my time is limited, but if someone has the bandwidth and wants to help get us back online and get our community some free powerful tutorials, models and videos to use as inspiration, please let me know!!!

BT

still overwhelmed by all the responses!!!

How long has it been since you approached DAZ? It can take up to a few months to get a determination

• BrycetechBrycetech Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

the same day I started this string was when I contacted them

If Dan and Clan are willing to...I'd very much like to let you take it all for free! and post it to get some movement. I'll render the turorials however you want..present it however you want...if you can make it free for the bryce community!

you already have brycetech.com why not have it all available?...please give bryce a breath of air

If you need my contact info ..brycetech at yahoo.com...
    its the email I have always used. I did appraoch them with a diff one because I dont check that one as often now, but...if there is even a glimmer of hope to give the community even a small gift for all they have given me over the years, then...I'll check it daily!

thanx
    BT

• NimosNimos Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

I thought this thread was about Bryce 8 Pro, a state of the art, 64bit upgrade with a revolutionary render engine that will make Vue look like an outdated toy. I guess my expectations were too high.

However, I still believe that deep inside a secret lab a team of programmers are wrapping up the final touches on a SuperBryce, a Bryce so powerful and revolutionary that the entire CG community of the world will be left in awe and amazement.