What's up with Carrara 8.5?

I just purchased Carrara 8.5, and as soon as I try to load a character, it goes through the motions (yellow bars at top) then immediately shuts itself down. I don't know that this is the cause, but I cannaot load squat with the DIM. It tells me I don't exist anymore. Therefore, I could not load the Beta 8.5 Pro. I did manually download load Carrara Native Content, (although loading it was rather sketchy). It's scary when you've just purchased and loaded a product to have it immediately shut down. Was it released prematurely? I have a 64 bit system and noticed that the new Carrara was only 32 bit. Could that be a problem? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,130

It may be your install, or it may be the figure. Newer Daz figures such as Genesis 3 or Genesis 8 do not load by default, you need a fixed character by Misty at Rendo.  Genesis 2 and earlier should load by default with no fix.  So, try some older figures. 

Michael 4

Genesis 1

Genesis 2

• Thanks, Diomede. I came late to Daz Studio, so about all I own are Genesis 8. Is it possible to create a figure in Daz and transfer it to Carrara? I used Carrara for years (ever since "5"), but have never experienced this problem all the way through "7".

Thanks again.

If you are using genesis 8, you need the freebie fix character by Misty.  Search renderosity freebie area.  Of all the crazy crap, there seems to be a typo in Genesis 8 that causes Carrara to crash.  Misty identified it and created a character preset that allows it to load in Carrara.  Then, to use genesis 8 clothing etc. you need to convert them to "blended weight" in Studio first and save as a support asset, then load in Carrara.  I believe that Misty started a dedicated thread.  Maybe someone can point to that to help you..  

• Thanks again Diomede. I'll look up Misty.

• It appears that the product by MistyLaraCarrara  works only on Genesis 3 figures. It is not available in Freebies anymore. It sells for $12.99 in the market area.

edited September 2019

That is a different product.  Still good to have for G3 figures, but that is different.

She has a separate character for G8.  It is free.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • I searched freebies for Misty but all that turned up was this.

misty.JPG
    291 x 493 - 32K
  • If you click on Misty in her paid Genesis 3 products you should get her store and there will be a free stuff tab 

its almost impossible to link to it the way Renderosity is set up as you need to be signed in to access freebies 

I cannot even access the damned forum not signed in

any link I try and post will go to their main page, you can only link paid products directly which is against this forum's rules.

edited September 2019

lryhall_17d185bd0d Check your private messages here on the forum by clicking on the gear in the upper right.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Thanks to both of you. I don't remember any of the other Carraras being so much of a headache. Thanks so much for the link, Diomede.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited September 2019

Thanks, Diomede. I came late to Daz Studio, so about all I own are Genesis 8. Is it possible to create a figure in Daz and transfer it to Carrara? I used Carrara for years (ever since "5"), but have never experienced this problem all the way through "7".

Thanks again.

You are trying to do something that is somewhat difficult.  Carrara was not designed for V7 and V8.

The correct Carrara version to download is this one.  If you don't already have earlier character content, that is no problem, as it comes loaded with V5 and M5 pro bundles.

It generally works great right out of the gate.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,266
    edited September 2019

So many folk have been downloading the new release of D/S which is why [most likely] the servers have been hiccupping the past few days. You mentioned that you bought Pro - so check in your Library, there should be an installer for the 64bit computer. Interruptions on the download may corrupt a file, so when it's quietened down, I would suggest downloading new installers - manually.

If you 'buy' the free Daz Studio, it comes with several starter essentials so you can have all of the Genesis family plus some clothes, etc.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,996

hey @Catherine3678ab nice to see you in the Carrara boards more frequently

question - in the freebie board you have clones for autofit for DS.. is it possible for you do a version that will also work in Carrara for G8 & G3 back to G2 or G1?

asking for a friend wink

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

welcome to carrara 8.5

i made a handy dandy list of the genesises anataomicals manual d/l links

Genesis Female GenitaliaGenesis Female Genitalia
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13597

Genesis Male Genitalia
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13977

Genesis 2 Female Genitalia
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_16440

Genesis 2 Male Genitalia
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_17075

Genesis 3 Female Genitalia
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_21749

Genesis 3 Male Genitalia
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_22926

Genesis 8 Female Anatomical Elements
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_42079

Genesis 8 Male Anatomical Elements
    https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_42089

• Thanks, Unified and Catherine. Looks like I screwed up and bought something that's pretty much useless to me. I got the standard version. I saw a comment that there was really very little difference betwixt ' and 'standard' and. 'Pro'. I felt pretty comfortable buying an upgrade to Carrara 7 Pro products ever since I began with version 5. All previous versions had worked almost flawlessly, plus Carrara has one of the best rendering engines (in quality especially). I used Carrara and Vue almost exclusively until Carrara (for a while anyway) seemed to lack interest in keeping up with the fast-changing nature of their competitors and became almost useless. Now I'm stuck with something that seems to be very buggy and is for all intents and purposes nothing more than a paperweight on my hard-drive. I will make sure and do more homework next time.

Many thanks.

• Thanks, Mystarra! If I ever decide on throwing more money away on Carrara, these will come in handy. I don't mean to sound negative, but it seems Daz is not doing their due diligence in producing a quality and useable product.

Many thanks again.

carrara pro is showing as 20 bux cheaper than the standard

maybe is a pcplus member price difference

carrara sale prices.JPG
    722 x 669 - 91K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited September 2019

Send in a ticket to Daz and explain the situation.  Ask for your money back, or a store credit.  The Pro version is actually normally cheaper than the standard version.  Don't know why they bother selling anything else.  It's just confusing, as you discovered.

I would be shocked if they didn't help you.  It's a normal request.  Just do it.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Thanks to everyone for going out of your way to help. I hate dealing with bureaucrats at these stores. It usually takes forever and in the long run, it's just cheaper time-wise to let them keep their money. Also more profitable for them to slow-walk these transactions. I'll probably just buy the other one. Does Pro allow the use of Genesis 8 without jumping through major hoopage? I'd hate to be a two-time sucker.

• Thanks to everyone for going out of your way to help. I hate dealing with bureaucrats at these stores. It usually takes forever and in the long run, it's just cheaper time-wise to let them keep their money. Also more profitable for them to slow-walk these transactions. I'll probably just buy the other one. Does Pro allow the use of Genesis 8 without jumping through major hoopage? I'd hate to be a two-time sucker.

You still need to use Misty's characters and convert all clothing hair etc you wish to use to blended weight in DS studio and save as a scene subset.

Also G8F has some vertices on the toes that don't morph in Carrara so you need to either hide those or shift them manually in the vertex room

funny thing is all of this is possibly not hard to fix but DAZ cannot be bothered and not all the code needed is apparently available in the SDK for third party developers.

• Sad_Kitty? I think you made up my mind for me. I don't have the foggiest notion of what 'blended weight' or 'vertices' mean. And hiding toes?!? No wonder they're selling it so cheap. I think I'll just suffer my losses and move on. I'll leave 'blended weights' and 'vertices' to those who are the experts in that kind of thing. Daz should put in a disclaimer making sure purchasers understand that most Genesis Characters are a lost cause in Carrara. Ah, well. Live and learn. There's always someone willing to be a little shady in order to make a buck.

Thanks so much. I should have asked these questions before making the purchase. Caveat Emptor.

Thanks to all for being patient during my crisis of ignorance.

No, neither the standard version nor pro support genesis 3 or 8 by default.

I use genesis 3 and 8 figures in Carrara by using Misty’s character at rendo.

Daz3D will allow you to return a purchase, no questions asked, within their standard trial period.  They have never made it a hassle for me.  You should ask for a refund or store credit by opening a support ticket. Only takes a few minutes.

• Thanks for all your help, Diomede. Maybe some store credit. I'll think about it.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Daz3D support is very helpful, especially with the 30 day money back deal they have.
    edited September 2019

i don't understand why grid is still so expensive.   

is a big question with threadrippers and 32 processes.  is carrara gonna stop at 20 

Post edited by Mistara on

lookin thru the manual for 'pro only'  Only problem is the manual for 7 pro.

Creating Oceans (Pro only)..............................................................................................................111
    UV Unfolding (Pro Only): Adds the ability to unfold UV maps when in the UV Editor.
    3D Painting (Pro Only): Provides the ability to paint directly on objects using color, shaders, and imported textures. Also includes real bumps and specularity display in OpenGL
    Multi-Pass Rendering (Pro Only): Adds multi-pass rendering to Carrara so that different components of the final render can be rendered out individually to separate images or layers.
    Displacement modeler (Pro only)
    DirectX Import (Pro only  i don't understand what this does, never heard of importing directx

Filmbox FBX Import (Pro only)
    Realviz XML Import (Pro only)
    Adobe® After Effects® Export (Pro only)
    DirectX Export (Pro only)
    Kaydara FBX Export (Pro only)

Pro Only
    •Skip Dialogs: Select which warning dialogs to skip when working with displacement.
    •Enable All Polymesh Displacement: Sets whether to enable displacement for all polymeshes or not

Advanced Edge Tools (Pro only)
    Displacement Painting (Pro only)
    Spline Tweener (Pro only)
    Vector and 3D Motion Blur (Pro only)

edited September 2019

Here mu tutt on g3 in carrara
    7 in the playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0nz6CbjUZ8&list=PL_VWd37rUL0FClvdAP8AZFgSjL6tYWmLv

g8 beta

Post edited by Mistara on
  • X files have the extension .x and are often used in games, MikuMikuDance props are that format too

miku dance deadpool smileysmiley