What's up with Carrara 8.5?

2»

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

here's Dart's first look 8.5 tut

there is a video out there somewhere on what's new in 8.5  not sure if it covers 8.5 standard to pro.

cryingi did the tuts on how to install and use the preset, but i had a comment cuz i didn't cover installing the starter essentials.  dunno why it hurts to have to do a video using daz studio plugin  lol.  they don't need any more advertising for ds.  as a non dim user, i certainly wouldn't advise on installing or using Dim, cuz i has no personal experience in it.

The pro version worth it for the ocean primitive perk alone,  makes a nice sandy desert too.  i'm sure there a way to use it for desserts toolaugh

edited September 2019

oh  turns out the Carrara 8.5 Tutorial Video New Features Instructions  was a pay for video.  no store link showing.

#prod_18007

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/learning-carrara-85/9781771371605/

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Mystarra said:

i don't understand why grid is still so expensive.   

is a big question with threadrippers and 32 processes.  is carrara gonna stop at 20 

It seems to me that this thread answers the question clearly (Carrara should be fine).  I assume that the newer Threadrippers are equivalent to a dual xeon.  Who wants to be the first to get one? smiley

Price has traditionally been the limiting factor for most of us.  But the 12-core 2920x is only $299 US at Micro Center.  Big multi core stuff is getting reasonable!

Mystarra said:

i don't understand why grid is still so expensive.   

is a big question with threadrippers and 32 processes.  is carrara gonna stop at 20 

It seems to me that this thread answers the question clearly (Carrara should be fine).  I assume that the newer Threadrippers are equivalent to a dual xeon.  Who wants to be the first to get one? smiley

Price has traditionally been the limiting factor for most of us.  But the 12-core 2920x is only $299 US at Micro Center.  Big multi core stuff is getting reasonable!

is on my santa list smiley
    need a mac first for fcpX

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,266
    edited September 2019

hey @Catherine3678ab nice to see you in the Carrara boards more frequently

question - in the freebie board you have clones for autofit for DS.. is it possible for you do a version that will also work in Carrara for G8 & G3 back to G2 or G1?

asking for a friend wink

At the moment I haven't a clue how to do anything spectacular with Carrara. If it's simply a matter of saving the clones to a different set of folders, maybe.

I'm at the stage of learning where you load a sky scene, load a land scene, frustrate yourself no end trying to get a render without that um, "blank space of the never never land, ground plane" in sight.

update: No. There is no 'auto-fit' option so the feature is for Daz Studio. Now then, one could use Daz Studio to run the Autofit, make the clothing saving it [to separate folders, not to overwrite the original files] and then load the new clothing in Carrara.

DS files.png
    646 x 579 - 131K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Thanks to everyone for going out of your way to help. I hate dealing with bureaucrats at these stores. It usually takes forever and in the long run, it's just cheaper time-wise to let them keep their money. Also more profitable for them to slow-walk these transactions. I'll probably just buy the other one. Does Pro allow the use of Genesis 8 without jumping through major hoopage? I'd hate to be a two-time sucker.

Support has always been very good, and as far as credits go, as fast as can be expected. [they keep normal store hours, not 24/7]. It's been awhile but as I recall store credits usually happened within 3 days if not hours from request. I ask for store credits because I know I'll still go shopping and there's no hold-up waiting for checks to clear, etc.

• Thanks to everyone for going out of your way to help. I hate dealing with bureaucrats at these stores. It usually takes forever and in the long run, it's just cheaper time-wise to let them keep their money. Also more profitable for them to slow-walk these transactions. I'll probably just buy the other one. Does Pro allow the use of Genesis 8 without jumping through major hoopage? I'd hate to be a two-time sucker.

Genesis 8, crashed Pro. Genesis loaded though.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,379

Thanks to everyone for going out of your way to help. I hate dealing with bureaucrats at these stores. It usually takes forever and in the long run, it's just cheaper time-wise to let them keep their money. Also more profitable for them to slow-walk these transactions. I'll probably just buy the other one. Does Pro allow the use of Genesis 8 without jumping through major hoopage? I'd hate to be a two-time sucker.

Genesis & Genesis 2 both work in Carrara

Genesis 3 & Genesis 8 need Misty's presets to work.

edited September 2019

Thanks to everyone for going out of your way to help. I hate dealing with bureaucrats at these stores. It usually takes forever and in the long run, it's just cheaper time-wise to let them keep their money. Also more profitable for them to slow-walk these transactions. I'll probably just buy the other one. Does Pro allow the use of Genesis 8 without jumping through major hoopage? I'd hate to be a two-time sucker.

Genesis & Genesis 2 both work in Carrara

Genesis 3 & Genesis 8 need Misty's presets to work.

Thank you. Found a pair for G8. Noticed her note that also the clothing would need to be converted in DS to blended weight. You know what, going to use the G family in Daz Studio. This winter am hoping to figure out somethings about modeling in Carrara. Who knows what, maybe clothing ...

Doesn't "see" Poser content??? [tried making a G8 .cr2 and discovered the program is not reading any of the Poser content. Listed the folder, just doesn't detect anything to load!]

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,130

Here is a thread with lots of tips for creating clothing.  Not just the modeling, but also rigging, joint correction morphs, shape morphs, etc. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65357/formerly-male-content-creation-thread/p1

• Diomede said:

Here is a thread with lots of tips for creating clothing.  Not just the modeling, but also rigging, joint correction morphs, shape morphs, etc. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65357/formerly-male-content-creation-thread/p1

So you make stuff for Carrara with Daz Studio? I thought one could use Carrara to make stuff too.

edited September 2019

I model the clothing in Carrara or Hexagon or...     

Being able to load and pose figures in Carrara (or Hexagon through the bridge) makes it very easy to model around the figure.

Because Carrara can understand legacy Poser and Daz Studio rigging, I sometimes export the model to Poser or Studio for rigging.  Subsequent use can be in Carrara, including making the JCMs, etc.   Hexagon can also be used for correction morphs, but not to pose or render.

There are a few specific examples in the thread.  

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Diomede said:

I model the clothing in Carrara or Hexagon or...     

Being able to load and pose figures in Carrara (or Hexagon through the bridge) makes it very easy to model around the figure.

Because Carrara can understand legacy Poser and Daz Studio rigging, I sometimes export the model to Poser or Studio for rigging.  Subsequent use can be in Carrara, including making the JCMs, etc.   Hexagon can also be used for correction morphs, but not to pose or render.

There are a few specific examples in the thread.  

Okay. Thank you ... but atm Carrara is not "seeing" the legacy items, some D/S items it sees, others not. Parking it for a day or so ...

edited September 2019

question - in the freebie board you have clones for autofit for DS.. is it possible for you do a version that will also work in Carrara for G8 & G3 back to G2 or G1?

asking for a friend wink

At the moment I haven't a clue how to do anything spectacular with Carrara. If it's simply a matter of saving the clones to a different set of folders, maybe.

I'm at the stage of learning where you load a sky scene, load a land scene, frustrate yourself no end trying to get a render without that um, "blank space of the never never land, ground plane" in sight.

update: No. There is no 'auto-fit' option so the feature is for Daz Studio. Now then, one could use Daz Studio to run the Autofit, make the clothing saving it [to separate folders, not to overwrite the original files] and then load the new clothing in Carrara.

could save the autofit from DS as a morph asset. in DS.  any morph saved in DS should follow the figure to Carrara. check the autofitted outfit is in base pose and only the morph fit you want to save is active..
    if you've slider spun a custom character, you  could save that as a morph asset to the figure. 
    name the clothing morphs the same as the character morphs.
    basically, export a new obj of the morphed figure or outfit, import  obj to DS and save as a morph asset.

there's a lot of g8 stuff (G3 fares much better with support morphs) , including anatomical elements with no support morphs.  i mean, you'd think the eyebrows coming with each character would include the face shape morph in the eyebrows.

it kills me the basic wear didn't bother coming with support fbm michael and vicki  morphs already done.

there's a lot of info about morphs with the HD plug in usagesmiley

edited September 2019

Here is a link to the start of an example of my workflow to use carrara to make custom FBMs for Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 figures.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2373941/#Comment_2373941

Start there and follow down to where I did a test render of the base figure next to a figure with my FBM dialed to 1.  The autofit works fine for me in Carrara.

Post edited by Diomede on

Thanks diomede.

using carrara for custom morphs is a great help for genesis males empty pants syndrome smiley
    or add a clothing morph to cover perkiness 

edited September 2019

Awesome, will certainly look into all this :-)

in the meantime, as a woman I do reserve the option to change my mind ... I tried again to get my Genesis 8 .c2 into Carrara ... it did not "see" it but I could IMPORT it, go figure. Put it in a scene with a tree. Having some fun there, put a sun in, note says the sun is to be used in a different kind of scene, right ... that would explain the black sky I guess. Put a rod of light in so we can see something ;-) Shaders, apparently scenes collect shaders and don't expect me to import the same shader twice, okay.

We're having fun, yes.

Have not finished the rigging for the Genesis Genesis 8 figure, was wondering if there's something of a nice map "how to" - to have all the bones correctly oriented. Otherwise I was thinking one could simply pose it in D/S, ship in/out the geometry to export out a .cr2 file for a static load. Although some might enjoy selecting bones and pulling it to pieces.

not supposed to use a sun.png
    1000 x 500 - 114K
    something missing.png
    1600 x 900 - 472K
    okay that's different.png
    1600 x 900 - 838K
    G8F cr IMPORT.png
    1600 x 900 - 654K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,996

there's no need to re rig genesis for Carrara

Carrara loads the Genesis duf figure with no problems at all...  same as Genesis 2. 

I'm not understanding why you would do that. frown

unless you're doing some Frankenstein experimenting  wink

• there's no need to re rig genesis for Carrara

Carrara loads the Genesis duf figure with no problems at all...  same as Genesis 2. 

I'm not understanding why you would do that. frown

unless you're doing some Frankenstein experimenting  wink

'cause Genesis 8 crashed the program and yes, I do a lot of experimenting, seeing how things work and why.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,996

ahh.. you mean Genesis 8

when you said Genesis I thought you meant Genesis wink

carry on smiley

edited September 2019

ahh.. you mean Genesis 8

when you said Genesis I thought you meant Genesis wink

carry on smiley

So I did, oops and sorry about that. Trying to do too many things at once.

That's an awesome amount of modeling information in the suggested post. Thanks to all who contributed. I might actually learn something there.

Tomorrow I'm aiming to get the rest of the tutorial images made with regards to the Face Transfer plugin for making morphs and textures :-)

I gather from the posts that there's a shortage of certain male morphs and clothing ... like how many pairs of pants are wanted? btw part of the shortage of such items has to do [quite possibly] with some issues caused by some fancy joint controlled rigging contraptions which make certain areas of pants do really weird things.

you could export g8 as a collada figure, it would give you the bones, gives a starting point.
    the rotation limits would all need to be set manually.  

• Yeah ... that's the issue with the .cr2 as well. It's not hard just nit picky.

• Mystarra said:

asking for a friend wink

could save the autofit from DS as a morph asset. in DS.  any morph saved in DS should follow the figure to Carrara. check the autofitted outfit is in base pose and only the morph fit you want to save is active..
    if you've slider spun a custom character, you  could save that as a morph asset to the figure. 
    name the clothing morphs the same as the character morphs.
    basically, export a new obj of the morphed figure or outfit, import  obj to DS and save as a morph asset.

there's a lot of g8 stuff (G3 fares much better with support morphs) , including anatomical elements with no support morphs.  i mean, you'd think the eyebrows coming with each character would include the face shape morph in the eyebrows.

it kills me the basic wear didn't bother coming with support fbm michael and vicki  morphs already done.

there's a lot of info about morphs with the HD plug in usagesmiley

The clones for auto-fit, or more specifically my clones for auto-fit in D/S are not just shapes, they include poses. As morph shapes these are not going to make clothing fit to different figures. If one wants the various figures to be as the shapes of each other, the store is full of both legacy figure morphs and shapes between the various Genesis clan members. Also as aids for making clothing fit, they are not necessarily up to the professional standards that the PAs produce for shape morphs. They were not intended to ever be used as such.

In D/S after a clothing item is "fitted to" a figure, as the figure is morphed, the clothing "follows" hence the necessity for making morphs for many figures is not necessary. However if that be a requirement for use in Carrara such morphs can be made in D/S and saved out for use by all AFAIK. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm of the impression that the clothing in Carrara does not "follow" figure morphs, is that right? [i.e. if you load Genesis 2, dial in V4 shape, the clothing does not fit?]

edited September 2019

it follows figure mrophs , on my pc,  in carrara, as long as morphs in the clothes are the same name as the figure morph.  the well made clothes come with some adjustments morphs, in addition.

technokitty on david 5  i didn't need ds plugin, clothes followed david 5 morph in carrara.

triax weightmapping.

The trouble with triax following it copies all the morphs to the cothes.  So a shirt that may be 20mb before 'conform to'.  saving the same shirt to carrara with all the follow morphs in it, saves as over 200.

i fix the empty pants syndrome in the carrara modeling room smiley

i can't remember which g3f character i used here.  sux getting old.

edited September 2019

in an attempt to avoid the genesis bloat, i remove all the morphs i'm not using from the \data\morphs folder.

there is a plug in to remove zero morphs inside carrara, theoretically it should prevent all morphs from transferring to clothes, mebbe someone has tested?

• Mystarra said:

in an attempt to avoid the genesis bloat, i remove all the morphs i'm not using from the \data\morphs folder.

there is a plug in to remove zero morphs inside carrara, theoretically it should prevent all morphs from transferring to clothes, mebbe someone has tested?

You can apply Alberto's morph eraser to the clothing too and it reduces the save size considerably 

Mystarra said:

You can apply Alberto's morph eraser to the clothing too and it reduces the save size considerably 

een better  kewl!!

thankx

• Mystarra said:

it follows figure mrophs , on my pc,  in carrara, as long as morphs in the clothes are the same name as the figure morph.  the well made clothes come with some adjustments morphs, in addition.

Good note for the collection. Thank you.