Fantasy weapons collection 2 (out now!) [commercial]

Comments

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Szark:

I'm intrigued by your anisotropic statement. How can I use Uber-lighting to test my blades for this effect? Do I need anything special, or is the DS in-house uber-lights sufficient for testing. All my blades bounce light correctly under normal conditions, and I am interested to experience anisotropic based on UV direction (which I couldn't find in studying).

Not to further derail Porsimo's thread .. :) .. but I wrote up a quick explanation of Anisotropic surfaces and why they rely on the UV mapping of the object.

Anisotropic vs Isotropic Surfaces

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:
    DaremoK3 said:
    Szark:

I'm intrigued by your anisotropic statement. How can I use Uber-lighting to test my blades for this effect? Do I need anything special, or is the DS in-house uber-lights sufficient for testing. All my blades bounce light correctly under normal conditions, and I am interested to experience anisotropic based on UV direction (which I couldn't find in studying).

Not to further derail Porsimo's thread .. :) .. but I wrote up a quick explanation of Anisotropic surfaces and why they rely on the UV mapping of the object.

Anisotropic vs Isotropic Surfacesyou did and well worth the read for folks who don't know. I wish more people modelled with the UVmap direction in mind.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,359
    edited February 2014

Porsimo said:

But, but... I just had armies of busty vixens in skimpwears in my mind while making these :ohh:

I like the way your mind works. I've just spent a small fortune on skimpware and put my army of very busty Victoria Sixes on full combat alert pending the arrival of your weapons. My millennium dragon has just screamed in terror and run off to hide in the darkest corner of my hard disk at the prospect.

On a slightly more serious note, is there any chance of both right and left hand poses? I like my fantasy warrioresses to go into battle with a weapon in both hands.

Post edited by alexhcowley on
  • PorsimoPorsimo Posts: 359
    edited December 1969

JonnyRay said:
    DaremoK3 said:
    Szark:

Thanks for this! It was good read and something to keep in mind in the future (didn't ever even think about it, to be honest)!

edited December 1969

Porsimo said:

But, but... I just had armies of busty vixens in skimpwears in my mind while making these :ohh:

I like the way your mind works. I've just spent a small fortune on skimpware and put my army of very busty Victoria Sixes on full combat alert pending the arrival of your weapons. My millennium dragon has just screamed in terror and run off to hide in the darkest corner of my hard disk at the prospect.

:lol:

On a slightly more serious note, is there any chance of both right and left hand poses? I like my fantasy warrioresses to go into battle with a weapon in both hands.
    Comes with smart props and hand poses for both hands, naturally ;) :)

edited December 1969

Porsimo said:
    JonnyRay said:
    DaremoK3 said:
    Szark:

Thanks for this! It was good read and something to keep in mind in the future (didn't ever even think about it, to be honest)!many don't as they just don't know what DS is capable of at default. ;) Hopefully conversations like this may help the situation.
    edited December 1969

The wait is over and your weapons are here now: http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/fantasy-weapons-collection-2!

Have fun! :)

• CyprithCyprith Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

I totally need these blades... but the most important thing... WHERE DOES THE IRON HAT COME FROM? :) I need that too. I've crawled through stores a few days ago but I couldn't find an iron hat.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Thank you for posting the wires, Porsimo. Meshes look great.

As I suspected from your renders, they are polymesh with mech beveling. Same technique I use except I use a post-smooth mech bevel (utilizing inset) as opposed to a pre-smooth mech bevel.

I don't like the results I get with a sub-d mesh, so I keep them polymesh finals. Was wondering if you were able to create these as sub-d with a mech bevel cage, and DS gave you excellent results. For bladed weapons, I find this difficult without DS being able to import cage hardness for direct sub-d results.

Szark:

Thank you for the information. I barely use uber-lighting, and did not even know about the uber-surface shader. I checked it out today, but it looks like I have some studying to do.

JonnyRay:

Thank you for the lessons. Some good reading over at your blog. Turns out I faked anisotropic shaders in a project I did a couple years ago on a sword where the blade and the hardware were blued. Took a lot of work with many texture sets, and modifications to the default shader, but I achieved the carpaint/suede effect that was needed. Wish I would have known about anisotropic sooner.

The whole UV thing is interesting. Took years to get to a level of no-to-low flattened well placed UVing, and now it looks like I will have to make some adjustments if I want to tap into this.

And, to all reading this thread:

Go and buy these finely crafted weapons. You wont be disappointed. Porsimo is a master of his craft, and all your warriors and vixens will thank you for it...

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,359
    edited December 1969

Porsimo said:
    Porsimo said:

:lol:

Comes with smart props and hand poses for both hands, naturally ;) :)

Excellent! Thank you! Now, where's that dragon hiding?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Nice sharp thingies! :)

Cyprith:
    http://www.sharecg.com/b/11/Poser/?keywords=helmet&member;_type[All]=on&attribute;[2449][-1]=1&attribute;[2577][-1]=1&attribute;[2439][-1]=1&tdm=a&s=dd

edited December 1969

Kerya

Yes, but which one is it? I've checked sharecg already and haven't seen this particular iron hat.

edited December 1969

Cyprith said:
    I totally need these blades... but the most important thing... WHERE DOES THE IRON HAT COME FROM? :) I need that too. I've crawled through stores a few days ago but I couldn't find an iron hat.

I'm pretty sure it's from this really old set by Faveral: http://www.daz3d.com/medieval-gatehouse
    I re-used the first set's scenes i.e. it's about a year since I loaded that prop from the Poser runtime, so I can't be 100% sure :)
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Porsimo. Now I have to decorate a scene with your swords. ;P

edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Thank you for posting the wires, Porsimo. Meshes look great.

As I suspected from your renders, they are polymesh with mech beveling. Same technique I use except I use a post-smooth mech bevel (utilizing inset) as opposed to a pre-smooth mech bevel.

I don't like the results I get with a sub-d mesh, so I keep them polymesh finals. Was wondering if you were able to create these as sub-d with a mech bevel cage, and DS gave you excellent results. For bladed weapons, I find this difficult without DS being able to import cage hardness for direct sub-d results.
    Oh, that feature would be great!
    I actually use post-smooth bevel too. Using inset before smoothing can lead into some horrible consequences! :gulp: (I'm talking from an experience). Not to mention, it also multiplies the amount of those extra polygons...
    My work-flow is to create a low-poly mesh first, then to set hardness to the edges I want to keep sharp and add hard control edges around the areas where I want to limit the smoothing effect. Then smoothing and after that I manually clean up the possible odd-shaped faces the smoothing caused before making the bevels.

Go and buy these finely crafted weapons. You wont be disappointed. Porsimo is a master of his craft, and all your warriors and vixens will thank you for it...

:red: Now you did it! You made me blush! Thank you for your kind words! :)
    edited December 1969

After all the talk about UberSurface I became inspired to play with it a little and thought I'd post the result here. Bear in mind I had no idea what I was doing, so in that sense I find the result satisfying :)
    Disclaimer: the sword does NOT look like this out of the box and this was only a test!

I used raytraced reflections with environment sphere.

DSwordAnistropic2.jpg
    1600 x 820 - 752K
    edited December 1969

Looks good. When I manage to get this set I will do some testing with US. But in the mean time if you want some help post the surface settings and lets see what we can do.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Looks good. When I manage to get this set I will do some testing with US. But in the mean time if you want some help post the surface settings and lets see what we can do.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I dare to post them in public (they are a total mess) :lol:
    edited December 1969

LOL Got to start somewhere. You could post then here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18364/ instead. If I could afford them I would do it myself so the only option open to me to help is this way. If you want to do it yourself no problem either. The offer is there nevertheless. :)

edited December 1969

I have them now. :) I'll play a bit with using UberSurface on the blades and show my results.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    LOL Got to start somewhere. You could post then here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18364/ instead. If I could afford them I would do it myself so the only option open to me to help is this way. If you want to do it yourself no problem either. The offer is there nevertheless. :)

Thank you :)

I think I need to get to know some of the basics first, but most probably I will come back to this issue later.

@JonnyRay: Thanks for your support! :) Can't wait to see the results (or hear about them) ;)

edited December 1969

My pleasure. Besides I think JonnyRay might yield better results. :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

Jade so has a NEW Sword now. Great set here. Very happy with these.

Never a Mindflayer around when you need a good work out....

The_sword.png
    696 x 873 - 867K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Jade so has a NEW Sword now. Great set here. Very happy with these.

Never a Mindflayer around when you need a good work out....

Oh, he looks serious :bug:

Great to hear you like them! ;)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,690
    edited December 1969

Got them too, Lomund will probably get the knife (they found a dwarven forged knife on the troll they did slay).
    And the pick axe (Mattock) will fit perfectly for Funhir when he comes back ;-)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    My pleasure. Besides I think JonnyRay might yield better results. :)
    Hit a snag ... my monitor died. :( Working on a replacement.
    edited December 1969

crap...bet it was me that put mockers on it....sorry. :) I can't wait for a new LED monitor.

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

Oh my, looking very good, Petri. :D

I've put the first set and this one on my wishlist, since my spending has become limited after they declared me disabled. :(

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,460
    edited December 1969

very nice, I like that the weapons are fairly authentic in proportion for combat rather than fantasy always meaning too big to actually use effectively.

Barb_RR.jpg
    1300 x 800 - 491K
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,959
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    very nice, I like that the weapons are fairly authentic in proportion for combat rather than fantasy always meaning too big to actually use effectively.

There's either a HUUUUUUUGE dragon round that corner or a squirrel, judging by her wide-eyed look of surprise :)