[Released! HD Face Burns for G8F + Add-On] FenixPhoenix's Commercial Products

1235»

Comments

• Hi guys!

I'm having a problem trying to get these beautiful burns into Maya - I will animate the character there.

I'm just doing a simple export, trying all settings possible, if anyone could help me it would be really awesome!

Some screenshots are attached.

Thank you all in advance!

imagem_2021-10-09_003138.png
    1644 x 1395 - 676K
    imagem_2021-10-09_003203.png
    1247 x 1036 - 335K
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,072
    edited October 2021

guilhermegubz said:

Hi guys!

I'm having a problem trying to get these beautiful burns into Maya - I will animate the character there.

I'm just doing a simple export, trying all settings possible, if anyone could help me it would be really awesome!

Thank you for your purchase! If the problem is that the morphs aren't showing, then you need to set the figure to Subdivision of 3 or 4 (we included a readme inside the product with more detailed instructions. The included script that's called "Read Me" should spawn it). For convenience, I'm attaching the readme to this post. Page 9 talks about the importance of Subdivision and how to set it up if you don't want to use the included Subdivision scripts.

If you are referring to the textures, these are applied on a supplied geoshell that uses custom UVs to ensure an even transition. This method ensures that the burns maintain their look regardless of what character you're applying them to (and makes it possible to apply to Genesis 8.1, includying figures with different UVs). As each vendor has a different way to set the skin, it was easier to ensure the final "look" this way. As explained in the read-me and the product page, the geosell is really where you're applying the textures:

If the program that you are using to animate not Daz Studio?

pdf
    pdf
    HDBodyBurnsF_ReadMe.pdf
    4M
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • Hey Gigi, thanks for the quick answer!

My real problem is getting these burns into Maya and not in Daz - they work perfectly in it!

All of the morphs I apply in the character are imported correctly, except the burns!

Do you have any idea what might be happening?

Do I need to do something before exporting? Also Im exporting as FBX.

Thanks!

FenixPhoenix said:

guilhermegubz said:

Hi guys!

Thank you for your purchase! If the problem is that the morphs aren't showing, then you need to set the figure to Subdivision of 3 or 4 (we included a readme inside the product with more detailed instructions. The included script that's called "Read Me" should spawn it). For convenience, I'm attaching the readme to this post. Page 9 talks about the importance of Subdivision and how to set it up if you don't want to use the included Subdivision scripts.

If you are referring to the textures, these are applied on a supplied geoshell that uses custom UVs to ensure an even transition. This method ensures that the burns maintain their look regardless of what character you're applying them to (and makes it possible to apply to Genesis 8.1, includying figures with different UVs). As each vendor has a different way to set the skin, it was easier to ensure the final "look" this way. As explained in the read-me and the product page, the geosell is really where you're applying the textures:

guilhermegubz said:

Hey Gigi, thanks for the quick answer!

My real problem is getting these burns into Maya and not in Daz - they work perfectly in it!

All of the morphs I apply in the character are imported correctly, except the burns!

Do you have any idea what might be happening?

Do I need to do something before exporting? Also Im exporting as FBX.

Thanks!

Ah, I see! I think the problem is the fact that the burn textures are added onto a Geoshell (which is a copy of the surfaces of a character which is projected outwards via an offset value --it basically acts like a second skin without having to load a second character).

I consulted with Esid who has and uses Maya for this. It's merely speculation, but this is something you could try:

1. Export your main figure at the appropriate resolution.
    2. Now, export it again but using the UVs included with the product. To do that, in surfaces, select all skin surfaces and change the UV to the one called "Body Burns Female".
    3. Then you'll want to follow the instructions on this video:

Basically, you'll be transferring the original character's textures to the even UVs of the body burns. Then you'll need to use a graphics program to Layer the Burns on top of the resulting textures. The reason why you'll want to transfer the original textures onto the even uvs and not the other way around is to avoid the burn textures becoming blurry. That said, you can always try it and see if it looks okay.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

I realize the question I have has probably been asked ten minutes ago and I could probably find the answer if I just try. But anyway, I need to know if "HD Body Burns 2 for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females" works by itself or if it really requires the previous product to be installed.

edited October 2021
    NylonGirl said:

I realize the question I have has probably been asked ten minutes ago and I could probably find the answer if I just try. But anyway, I need to know if "HD Body Burns 2 for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females" works by itself or if it really requires the previous product to be installed.

Yes, it can be used by itself. Only the bonus presets won't work (since those require the first pack textures). :) So you will get burns for the torso and legs but not the arms, as those are in the first pack.
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • HI THERE,

I just bought the Soft Skin Transitions for Genesis 8, and I've gone over it a few times, step by step and the white masked area is glossy white in IRay, and the black mask area is transparent.

How do I add another normal skin texture to the unmasked / black area?

How do I get the White masked area to show the metalic bronze transition preset I chose? Or change it for a diffenet skin all together?

• Hello Gigi,
    While browsing the DAZ store, I was impressed by the quality of the character morphs you used to promote your items, especially for "HD Bite Marks". Would you be so kind as to tell me which morphs (which character) you used on genesis 8 male.
    Thank you.

• roland58 said:

Hello Gigi,
    While browsing the DAZ store, I was impressed by the quality of the character morphs you used to promote your items, especially for "HD Bite Marks". Would you be so kind as to tell me which morphs (which character) you used on genesis 8 male.
    Thank you.

You mean the ones used on the main character? He is a custom shape using a tweaked Nix 8 Skin. His body detail is mostly accomplished using D.Master's the products: https://www.daz3d.com/auto-shape-enhancer-for-genesis-8-male and https://www.daz3d.com/auto-muscle-enhancer-hd-for-genesis-8-males (not dialed all the way).
  • Thanks for your answer

• DesouzaDesouza Posts: 29

While attempting to use the Gunshot Wounds on G8 characters the outcome I get each time is the wound gets added but there is an unwanted impact upon the character's face. The visibility of the face is turned off and then the eyes and the mouth are visible along with the wound. What can be done to correct this?

Desouza said:

While attempting to use the Gunshot Wounds on G8 characters the outcome I get each time is the wound gets added but there is an unwanted impact upon the character's face. The visibility of the face is turned off and then the eyes and the mouth are visible along with the wound. What can be done to correct this?

Hi, thank you for buying our products!

If I understand correctly, if the face surface of your character is disappearing, then it means you are applying the LIE Wounds Presets to the character. That's not how it works. Instead, you should apply the Gunshot Wound Geoshell Wearable first and then apply the LIE to that wearable preset. There was an update to the product to include a ReadMe with detailed instructions which you can find here (since the forum is broken and I can't seem to add attachments atm).

• Regarding Soft Skin Trans. Normally even with base G8 and the step 1 for 8, charcoal for 2nd skin after the step 3 for 8 the model appears translucent, kind like the 1st skin is not there either. I can see the teeth and eyeballs. However one time I followed, i thought, the same steps but it worked. Two questions:

Is there something i need to check before start the process?
    Is the base skin on the 8 workable or do you need to apply a sepeate mat ?
    Is there a way to compare to models to see what settings are different?

Thanks and sorry if this is answered elsewhere,
    Todd

• i53570ki53570k Posts: 212
    edited January 5

I posted on the Commons before realized this a dedicated PA thred and not just for the Face Burns product. I hope double posting is not a forum violation.

Does the FPE Faceless product include a script to copy character materials into the face geograft? Similar script is a feature that has been standard of Daz anatomical element products on other sites. I don't see it on the product description.

If not then the product is interesting but not as useful as it could be. More often than not I and many others I presumed want a featureless face that is flesh. There have been free morphs generously provided by forum members in the past but they all have shortcomings. Removing just the eyes and nose does not make the face featureless and there are always residual morph that looks obvious that we were squeezing vertices. There is also the noface morph but unfortuntely it changes the entire head and does not remove the facial features. But the biggest problem of using morph is that the user still needs to manually replace the facial features in the character's texture files.

Shadowy characters with LIE expressions are nice but G8 or G9 characters without their faces would be scarrier. I would buy that faceless product with scary featurelees face morphs using the characters' own materials.

Post edited by i53570k on
  • TesseractSpaceTesseractSpace Posts: 1,213

Perhaps because there's no easy way to do what you're wanting, at best one might redo the uv maps to use a flat flesh texture, but you can't just magically make a figure faceless with a properly featureless look using existing textures without some oddly stitched parts. Geografting isn't a magic fix for the issues involved.

Regarding Soft Skin Trans. Normally even with base G8 and the step 1 for 8, charcoal for 2nd skin after the step 3 for 8 the model appears translucent, kind like the 1st skin is not there either. I can see the teeth and eyeballs. However one time I followed, i thought, the same steps but it worked. Two questions:

Is there something i need to check before start the process?
    Is the base skin on the 8 workable or do you need to apply a sepeate mat ?
    Is there a way to compare to models to see what settings are different?

Thanks and sorry if this is answered elsewhere,
    Todd

That happens if you apply the LIE presets directly on your character instead of the geoshell. Just make sure you select the geoshell before applying the Lie. Also, before applying the Lie there is a preset call "prepare for lie" and that needs to be applied to the geoshell before building the Lie mask.
    i53570k said:

I posted on the Commons before realized this a dedicated PA thred and not just for the Face Burns product. I hope double posting is not a forum violation.

Does the FPE Faceless product include a script to copy character materials into the face geograft? Similar script is a feature that has been standard of Daz anatomical element products on other sites. I don't see it on the product description.

If not then the product is interesting but not as useful as it could be. More often than not I and many others I presumed want a featureless face that is flesh. There have been free morphs generously provided by forum members in the past but they all have shortcomings. Removing just the eyes and nose does not make the face featureless and there are always residual morph that looks obvious that we were squeezing vertices. There is also the noface morph but unfortuntely it changes the entire head and does not remove the facial features. But the biggest problem of using morph is that the user still needs to manually replace the facial features in the character's texture files.

Shadowy characters with LIE expressions are nice but G8 or G9 characters without their faces would be scarrier. I would buy that faceless product with scary featurelees face morphs using the characters' own materials.

I answered on your other thread. Basically the current faceless is not intended to be used that way. But we are working on a second faceless which we will tie with our toon textures so you can get faceless or semi faceless (no eyes only or no mouth only) flesh colored figures.
  • FenixPhoenix said:

guilhermegubz said:

Hi guys!

These are looking fantastic. For a project I am in need of body burn textures to cover the whole back and your product looks quite realistic. However, as you mentioned you are using different UVs than the original figure. Can you tell me if the Body Burns pack would work with other geografts (for example the belly graft from Cyperfox's "CF - Jiggily Dynamics")?

(I don't mind if it's complicated as long as it is doable :) ) 

• UthgardUthgard Posts: 853

Just as a general piece of advice, if you need to use things with an irregular UV on a geograft, assuming that geograft has access to the base UVs (which I imagine a belly would need to have if it can use regular skins), you can load the textures with irregular UVs on a figure without the geograft loaded and use DAZ Studio's Map Transfer utility to get a copy of the textures that uses the regular UVs. You can then manually slot those new maps on the geograft and, if needed, save them as a texture preset.

thejackal0815 said:

FenixPhoenix said:

guilhermegubz said:

Hi guys!

These are looking fantastic. For a project I am in need of body burn textures to cover the whole back and your product looks quite realistic. However, as you mentioned you are using different UVs than the original figure. Can you tell me if the Body Burns pack would work with other geografts (for example the belly graft from Cyperfox's "CF - Jiggily Dynamics")?

I will ask Esid tomorrow, as he's the one who did the even UVs for this set. I don't own the belly graft to experiment or give a definitive answer. The problem is that these burns use a custom UV set (rather than the Genesis 8 Base UVs) to ensure a smooth transition between the maps. You have the four maps (face, body, arms, & Legs) laid out in one big 8k map. Unfortunately, I am not proficient enough in using UV transfer to check if that can be used to transfer those custom UVs to the belly.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,905

FenixPhoenix said:

I will ask Esid tomorrow, as he's the one who did the even UVs for this set. I don't own the belly graft to experiment or give a definitive answer. The problem is that these burns use a custom UV set (rather than the Genesis 8 Base UVs) to ensure a smooth transition between the maps. You have the four maps (face, body, arms, & Legs) laid out in one big 8k map. Unfortunately, I am not proficient enough in using UV transfer to check if that can be used to transfer those custom UVs to the belly.

I've map transferred these textures to G8/8.1 UVs, so it's definitely doable. Not sure how that could be used to extend burns across the rest of the body, or applied to geografts.

• esidworksesidworks Posts: 0

thejackal0815 said:

FenixPhoenix said:

guilhermegubz said:

Hi guys!

Since some others have already talked about the process of transfering the textures, I'll just focus on the geograft part of your question; Mainly if it would work with the morphs. The short answer is no. While most geografts can get some detail projected on them, HD morphs tend to not transfer over as easily if at all. I made a quick  mockup of an extreme geograft in the abdomen area as an example:

I deliberately left the geo underneath remain visible to show the area affected by the morph (MBB2 Abdomen L). As you can see, almost nothing is transfering over to it.

However, there is a certain level of small detail that IS transfering over, but can only be seen if you really punch up the dial on the geograft. This detail is what can be seen at the lowest subdivision level for the figure, which is kinda useless for an HD morph.

Here is another quick mockup of a geograft, but this time it is essentially the exact section of the figure without any deformations. As you can see, again, none of the HD detail seems to transfer over to the geograft. And if you punch up the dial like I did with the previous one, you'll get a similar result.

This is a very specific problem that I don't know if I can offer a real solution/workaround. There might be people that have figured it out before. I suggest maybe asking around to see if anyone knows how to project HD detail onto a geograft, though I wouldn't think there is a way to do so within Daz. And as for how to do it in Maya, it's already been too long since I've used it; not to mention that I never tried to do something like this. I know there is a way to do it in Zbrush, but even then it requires the geograft to be in close proximity to the geo of the original mesh to really work. Here is a quick video of someone showing how to transfer detail between meshes (subtools) using Zbrush:

Gordig said:

FenixPhoenix said:

I've map transferred these textures to G8/8.1 UVs, so it's definitely doable. Not sure how that could be used to extend burns across the rest of the body, or applied to geografts.

It's good to know that it's doable, Gordig! Out of curiosity, does the transfer show any seams between the maps, especially between the face/head and body/torso?

At the very least for our next iteration for Genesis 9, we should be using the Base UVs, since the pixel density between the body areas is much better. Plus we have learned a lot, so next burns should be a lot more refined (hopefully).

edited June 15

FenixPhoenix said:

Gordig said:

FenixPhoenix said:

It's good to know that it's doable, Gordig! Out of curiosity, does the transfer show any seams between the maps, especially between the face/head and body/torso?

At the very least for our next iteration for Genesis 9, we should be using the Base UVs, since the pixel density between the body areas is much better. Plus we have learned a lot, so next burns should be a lot more refined (hopefully).

Here's Torment with map transferred burns:

Burntorment.png
    1800 x 2400 - 4M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    Oh, wow! I'm surprised no seams show up! It's good to know the information about map transferring!

Funny enough, I'm currently having a devil of a time map transferring the add-on for G8M Face Burns to the head surface of G8.1M. Specifically, the raw Half Upper texture covers a much bigger area of the head than the base texture, and I designed my character around his head burn. My attempts at making an opacity mask based on the base texture for the raw texture have been thwarted.

• thejackal0815thejackal0815 Posts: 8
    edited July 4

Uthgard said:

Just as a general piece of advice, if you need to use things with an irregular UV on a geograft, assuming that geograft has access to the base UVs (which I imagine a belly would need to have if it can use regular skins), you can load the textures with irregular UVs on a figure without the geograft loaded and use DAZ Studio's Map Transfer utility to get a copy of the textures that uses the regular UVs. You can then manually slot those new maps on the geograft and, if needed, save them as a texture preset.

Thanks for the advice. I work a lot with shells and that works very well with the graft due to the supported UV. I can see why the HD Burn package uses different UVs because I imagine it makes the product a lot easier to work with on its own.

@FenixPhoenix @esidworks Thanks a lot for looking into the subject! Shows you really care for your product. :) Tbh, I would not be trying to get the morphs across. My goal would be mainly to use a shell with your diffuse/displacement maps/etc. and so I guess my question is in fact much more simple: Are the textures provided only for the new UVs included in the package or is there something like bonus variations of the textures for the standard UVs as well?

Post edited by thejackal0815 on