Gravity Sucks! Except With Conforming Clothing! Help Me With Kneeling Pose?

BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi guys,

I'm working on a piece of art that shows a woman kneeling in a long dress. It's in the early stages but I know I'm going to have problems with this!

The dress in question is the Elven Dress for Genesis, but the problem would occur no matter what I used so I'm hoping to get some general feedback on this. Dresses seem to assume that people will be standing or sitting, which is a fair assumption to be honest, and there's no way of doing a dynamic drape simulation on conforming clothing in DS4, so that option is out.

How can I make it look like she's kneeling and the dress is folded naturally, and spread properly on the floor?

Thanks in advance,
Barry.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

You can do a dynamic Drape in DS4Pro, can't you? Just do a Animated Drape with the end pose in the position you need. Then just Render that one frame.

EDIT: I need to learn to READ.

EDIT #2: Lot's of Deformers.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    You can do a dynamic Drape in DS4Pro, can't you? Just do a Animated Drape with the end pose in the position you need. Then just Render that one frame.

EDIT: I need to learn to READ.

I can? With conforming clothing? I thought I could only do that in Poser which wouldn't be much use since I'm using Genesis.

Would love more info on that.

edited December 1969

Sorry, I did not catch the Conforming part until I hit submit. You could cheat it with Deformers and maybe even a second dress added as a prop only. Some times you need to think outside the box. I do not have the item or I would give it a try for you.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Hi guys,

I'm working on a piece of art that shows a woman kneeling in a long dress. It's in the early stages but I know I'm going to have problems with this!

The dress in question is the Elven Dress for Genesis, but the problem would occur no matter what I used so I'm hoping to get some general feedback on this. Dresses seem to assume that people will be standing or sitting, which is a fair assumption to be honest, and there's no way of doing a dynamic drape simulation on conforming clothing in DS4, so that option is out.

How can I make it look like she's kneeling and the dress is folded naturally, and spread properly on the floor?

Thanks in advance,
    Barry.

I don't know How do you make it look as though she's kneeling and the dress is folded and spread out properly on the floor.

If you find out do share. :coolsmirk:
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056
    edited December 1969

send to Hexagon
    use soft select and pull at mesh to get it where you want
    only move vertices, do not add or delete
    send back to Daz studio to create morph target

edited December 1969

Seriously, there are a couple of dresses that have Kneeling morphs. MFD is one, but that is the V4 version, not sure, obviously if the genesis version does. It's not brilliant but it does get an appoximation of how it would be if she was kneeling.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Sorry, I did not catch the Conforming part until I hit submit. You could cheat it with Deformers and maybe even a second dress added as a prop only. Some times you need to think outside the box. I do not have the item or I would give it a try for you.

Deformers are a toy I haven't played with yet, but it sounds like they could be the way forward.
    edited December 1969

send to Hexagon
    use soft select and pull at mesh to get it where you want
    only move vertices, do not add or delete
    send back to Daz studio to create morph target

Ok, I understood some of that.

Send to Hexagon... Is there a bridge, or do I export as .obj?

Soft select I can find, moving vertices I can figure out.

Sending back to DS would be the same as sending to Hex, so I can do that.

Now the big one... I know nothing, at all, about morph targets. What does that do? And if I've just used Hex to make my model work, do I need to do this step? I'm a bit lost.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm getting a general idea.

edited December 1969

you just select your dress, go to file, send to Hexagon
    it will open and load it
    then move the vertices
    go to file, in Hexagon, send to Daz studio
    or even close will ask if you want to send back to Daz studio.
    it shows the morph target dialogue and you can name the morp or leave it as "my morph".
    you get a slider under morphs in parameters.

edited December 1969

you just select your dress, go to file, send to Hexagon
    it will open and load it
    then move the vertices
    go to file, in Hexagon, send to Daz studio
    or even close will ask if you want to send back to Daz studio.
    it shows the morph target dialogue and you can name the morp or leave it as "my morph".
    you get a slider under morphs in parameters.

Excellent, I'll have a look at that, I just crashed it! Not sure why, but it seems to crash a lot more lately. Wonder if there's a more recent version for me to download.
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I'm watching this thread to learn. It's beyond me at the moment.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    What? I'm waiting on your new pose post. Do not make me pull this car over.

But really, lets get you into the contest's and learn as we go dear. If you need one on one just PM me. Jeffro.
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited July 2012

chohole said:
    Seriously, there are a couple of dresses that have Kneeling morphs. MFD is one, but that is the V4 version, not sure, obviously if the genesis version does. It's not brilliant but it does get an appoximation of how it would be if she was kneeling.

It does not. The Genesis MFD sadly has fewer morphs than the V4 version.

Pretty much the only way to get this look is to have a morph that supports the specific pose. I have the Genesis MFD. I'll try and make you a free morph if you can share me the pose you're using and a photo reference of what you want the dress to look like. That's the nice thing about .dsfs, it's very easy to add extra morphs. ;)

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

OMG I crashed Daz studio just POSING Genesis in the Elven dresss!!!
    so not off to a great start!

edited December 1969

Oh, and I have the Elven dress too, so the offer is still open with that one.

edited December 1969

if Blum still decides to do this
    Bobbie's fairytale dress for Genesis kneels,
    got pokethrough because I set it to collide with the floor plane.

bob_down.gif
    500 x 500 - 1M
    edited July 2012

@Sickleyield: Many thanks for the offer, but I want to do things by myself so that I learn, I spend too much time using pre-made poses etc and I want to get cracking on doing something myself.

@Wendy: Amazing, I got that dress a little while ago and never thought of using it. Thanks for that. *sigh* you beat me to the M5 in a dress thing. Mind you, mine looks like it will take a month to cook! And I thought it was simple.

Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
    edited December 1969

I have been doing M5 in womens clothing since I got him, because I can!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Z3s4uupEU
    the booby blonde in this iClone vid has his texture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djjsX2hJxWM

edited December 1969

@Sickleyield: Many thanks for the offer, but I want to do things by myself so that I learn, I spend too much time using pre-made poses etc and I want to get cracking on doing something myself.

No problem! I admire that determination.

edited December 1969

@Wendy: Heh, it's not the Fairytale Dress I've got after all, it's the Fairy Queen dress. I knew it had fairies in it somewhere.

Bending and shaping the dress is basically going to take me back to my beginnings, when I modelled in Lightwave. It was an early version and I didn't do much, it was a copy at work and I got to play when the designers were at lunch!

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    AtticAnne said:
    What? I'm waiting on your new pose post. Do not make me pull this car over.

But really, lets get you into the contest's and learn as we go dear. If you need one on one just PM me. Jeffro.

I'll PM you on this, Jeff.

edited December 1969

here you go Barry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfycxud6OdA
    in case you missed in in iteotwawkiaiff

edited December 1969

I'd like to get into the contests too but I don't have the confidence!

edited December 1969

DUDE! I have nothing but NO CONFIDENCE. It took me three years and (heck I dont know how) many contest's before I ever won one. But you learn SO much as you TRY. That was the fun part. I could do better everytime, because I understood more and more.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    DUDE! I have nothing but NO CONFIDENCE. It took me three years and (heck I dont know how) many contest's before I ever won one. But you learn SO much as you TRY. That was the fun part. I could do better everytime, because I understood more and more.
    Yeah, I know. I just find that I start something and go way off track and end up doing something totally different, then I mess up, and spend a week correcting my messings!

But yeah, I could do something I'm sure. This month's newbie challenge is posing, right? Well I'll see what I can do. Need to find some inspiration first, but I've got tons of that because I bought lots of books with fantasy poses in.

edited December 1969

GO Barry GO!! Please read the contest post so you get a Idea. BUT Go!!

edited December 1969

I agree with Jeff, you will never get anywhere if you don't try. We all started at the beginning. I don't have any of my really old images in any gallery anywhere, but have left some of my not quite so old ones in my rendo gallery, so if you ever care to look at the back pages there you will see how I started, compared to what I do now.

edited July 2012

MEEEEP you're all picking on meeee!!

Just kidding of course. Ok, count me in. Going to look up some poses that I'd like to recreate, then tonight, I get cracking.

{edit} - Crap, too many options!

{another edit} - Remembering the problems I had when I was doing that freebie for Sickleyield's trenchcoat, I wanted to put a gun in M4's hand and really struggled to get that to look right. So here we go, that will be my first contest project I think.

Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
    edited December 1969

I don't have any confidence either, Barry. I get started on something, then get distracted (very easily) or discouraged (very easily). Next thing I know, the deadline is here and I still haven't finished anything to render and submit. Now I've got a huge WIP folder.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    I don't have any confidence either, Barry. I get started on something, then get distracted (very easily) or discouraged (very easily). Next thing I know, the deadline is here and I still haven't finished anything to render and submit. Now I've got a huge WIP folder.

My WIP folder is now a DNF folder.

For those not into racing or sports, DNF stands for Did Not Finish!