UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,347

This is looking like a real must-have, Martin - nice renders!

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,042

I love the renders also, crazy sense of humor.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,712

Yes, BRITAIN, finally!!! Can't wait for the release! The renders are lovely, by the way. Now DAZ, hurry up please, need this in the store asap.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,162

While waiting for Britain, I dooddled together a fairy glade. I might have to redo it later with the new scenery, especially the foxgloves.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Custom lady maiden taking a stroll.

CustomG9TM10262022.jpg
    3500 x 2375 - 7M
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,234

Those are lovely artworks lou_harper and Daventaki ... so great that peeps are keeping this thread alive! 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,019

https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--swamp is on sale for a good price today. It has some unique features like cypress knees and duckweed. Here's an image I made with it last year. I've probably posted this before.

TA Swamp1 River 8 Gator Hunting.jpg
    2600 x 2000 - 3M

I have the swamp and used it before. I wish I was there was a set with live oaks–you know those sprawling trees also with Spanish moss.

barbult said:

https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery--swamp is on sale for a good price today. It has some unique features like cypress knees and duckweed. Here's an image I made with it last year. I've probably posted this before.

and... In the cart it goes.... Didn't know I needed it til I saw yours and lou_harper's artworks... Thanks Barb!!!

• @barbult How does one use these decals in US? I would like replace a (large) section of the base grass with that.

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,335
    edited October 2022

DoctorJellybean said:

@barbult How does one use these decals in US? I would like replace a (large) section of the base grass with that.

FWIW, I use planes, as here:

In this example, the plane with the decal has been draped over this whole area; the grass is unaffected. I wanted the grass to remain but if I wanted it gone, I would've used the Toolbox tools to clear out the unwanted instances.

Decal-2.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
    edited October 2022

lou_harper said:

I have the swamp and used it before. I wish I was there was a set with live oaks–you know those sprawling trees also with Spanish moss.

I love your bright colors! 

Here's another vote for live oaks with spanish moss. I stepped outside and snapped this in my back yard.

20221030_133126.jpg
    2490 x 2915 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on

DoctorJellybean said:

@barbult How does one use these decals in US? I would like replace a (large) section of the base grass with that.

I posted a little mini tutorial in my experiments thread

• The most important thing is to remember that decals must be parented to the item you want them to show up on - in this case the UltraScene Terrain object.
    • Use a mask in the grass layer to hide the grass so you can see the decal on the terrain.
    • You can use multiple decals or scale and/or tile any of them. If you tile the decal, you may want to use the Image Editor Instance Tiling to un-tile the cutout opacity image, if you want one big tiled spot instead of individual small spots.
    • If you layer decals, you use the Decal Priority in the Parameters pane to control the layering (which is on top of the other).
    Screenshot 2022-10-30 135533.jpg
    1756 x 1273 - 393K
    Screenshot 2022-10-30 135844.jpg
    636 x 410 - 61K

paulawp (marahzen) said:

DoctorJellybean said:

In this example, the plane with the decal has been draped over this whole area; the grass is unaffected. I wanted the grass to remain but if I wanted it gone, I would've used the Toolbox tools to clear out the unwanted instances.

That's genious! When yoou say "draped" do you mean that you used dforce on the plane?

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,309

barbult said:

Thank you for the headsup! 

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,335
    edited October 2022

lou_harper said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

DoctorJellybean said:

That's genious! When yoou say "draped" do you mean that you used dforce on the plane?

Yes. A primitive plane, if set as a dForce dynamic surface, will drape across a USC surface. (The smaller the plane and the less irregular the surface, the better the fit.) Leave the Ultrascene Terrain visible, make everything else invisible. Create a plane, make it a dForce dynamic surface, raise the plane to just above the highest surface and then let it simulate. You may need to up the stabilization time, depending on the circumstances. I can't confirm what settings I had for the plane in the original image I posted, but I find that I can recreate a similar example with a 2x2m plane, with 40-60 divisions. Since I'm still kind of a newbie, I won't present myself as a dForce guru, but that works for me.

For a decal, apply the decal to the plane and adjust as usual. Note that you'll want to set the opacity on the plane itself to 0. 

For snow, I just create a 64x64 plane and drape the whole USC surface. It will be imprecise ... but so is actual snow.

When you're happy with the placement of your plane, don't forget to set it to be a dForce static surface. 

Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on

Greeeeeeeeeeeeat tip with the planes paulawp (marahzen)... I usually just re-texture the ground itself... I'm gonna have to try your idea... I've done it before with other things... I love dForce draping ;)

Llola Lane said:

Greeeeeeeeeeeeat tip with the planes paulawp (marahzen)... I usually just re-texture the ground itself... I'm gonna have to try your idea... I've done it before with other things... I love dForce draping ;)

I just don't get the whole idea of applying a decal to a draped plane when you can apply the decal directly to the UltraScenery Terrain. There are many ways to accomplish things, but why make it harder and more complicated than necessary?

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

I just don't get the whole idea of applying a decal to a draped plane when you can apply the decal directly to the UltraScenery Terrain. There are many ways to accomplish things, but why make it harder and more complicated than necessary?

I think with the plane idea you can make pieces parts of the terrain have different decals?... Since the terrain is so big?  That's what I was thinking anyway... Not sure... Maybe paulawp (marahzen) could enlighten us?

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

I think with the plane idea you can make pieces parts of the terrain have different decals?... Since the terrain is so big?  That's what I was thinking anyway... Not sure... Maybe paulawp (marahzen) could enlighten us?

You can apply as many different decals as you want, directly to the terrain, in as many different locations as you want. You don't need extra planes to do that. I think it is just a different, more complicated, and time more consuming way to accomplish the same thing. There are many ways to do things, but I like the more straightforward way.

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

You can apply as many different decals as you want, directly to the terrain, in as many different locations as you want. You don't need extra planes to do that. I think it is just a different, more complicated, and time more consuming way to accomplish the same thing. There are many ways to do things, but I like the more straightforward way.

humm... I've not used decals yet... so I guess I need to play with it to understand it.  I didn't know you could apply them individually... thought they were like regular textures.  I have some decals... but they are for t-shirts... don't have the ground ones mentioned above.  Thanks for letting me know how they work Barb :)

Llola Lane said:

humm... I've not used decals yet... so I guess I need to play with it to understand it.  I didn't know you could apply them individually... thought they were like regular textures.  I have some decals... but they are for t-shirts... don't have the ground ones mentioned above.  Thanks for letting me know how they work Barb :)

My message in this thread earlier today has a link to a tutorial I wrote for using decals on UltraScenery. 

• Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

Yes, for me, it's mainly about the size of the terrain and the inconvenient point of origin for decals on it. They originate in a corner, which is a long way from center, where I am usually creating a scene, and they don't have the same x/y/z location coordinates as other objects I'm working my scene around. Because I use planes for everything else, I perceive that it's easier to create and maneuver a plane, and stick a decal on it, than to back out so I can see the whole 64x64m square, locate the decal and move it to where i want it. There's also some Nvidia Iray viewport considerations in having the decal on a plane instead of parented to the USC Terrain. Sure, I can run Nvidia Viewport with just the Terrain visible but it's a bunch of clicks to turn off enough individual USC parts to do it. If the decal is on a plane, I can turn off the USC object entirely with one click.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

Yes, I have also found easier to apply decals to the DForced planes,

especially while using UltraSceneryXT.

• UthgardUthgard Posts: 853

I recently first tried to use decals on something not UltraScenery related and ended up having to scratch the whole thing because they, somehow, had metallic reflections on the transparent parts of the decal, so that may also be a concern if they are unreliable in their behavior.

Love all the pictures. And waking up on Halloween to find my iMac had crashed overnight, well so much fun. 

I thought I had some Spanish Moss, but compared to what we have in UltraScenery now it is now that great, but in the distance, maybe it would do until we get some US versions? https://www.daz3d.com/traveler-s-naturals-spanish-moss-vol-1 and it is $2.99 today.

• barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

I posted a little mini tutorial in my experiments thread

• The most important thing is to remember that decals must be parented to the item you want them to show up on - in this case the UltraScene Terrain object.
    • Use a mask in the grass layer to hide the grass so you can see the decal on the terrain.
    • You can use multiple decals or scale and/or tile any of them. If you tile the decal, you may want to use the Image Editor Instance Tiling to un-tile the cutout opacity image, if you want one big tiled spot instead of individual small spots.
    • If you layer decals, you use the Decal Priority in the Parameters pane to control the layering (which is on top of the other).

Thank you. I just need to figure out the tiling, but it works great.

• Finally got a date for the release of Ultracenery Britain - and it is very soon! 

Ive been off gird for a few days as i got two new computer systems, and it took time to get all my bits and bobs up and running on the new rigs, but that was the perfect oppertunity to have a play with the Ultrascenery Botanica set, and maybe do something a bit different, so this time i did a night time render (kinda late to the halloween party but lets call it fairy tale!)

Used one of howies great new biomes and lots of fireflys from the forest fx product. 

Had lots of fun lighting it and for once ( because i used volumetrics) I put the DOF on in daz studio before i rendered. I then discovered that ds will render a depth canvas with the DOF from the daz studio camera backed in which makes an instant mask map for lots of fx like adding a bit more fog etc. 

So keep your eyes on the store for Ulltrascenery Britain - as i said.,.... very soon! 

@Martinjfrost, that is totally magical. Made me think of a Fall 'snow' globe.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

Martinjfrost said:

Finally got a date for the release of Ultracenery Britain - and it is very soon! 

Ive been off gird for a few days as i got two new computer systems, and it took time to get all my bits and bobs up and running on the new rigs, but that was the perfect oppertunity to have a play with the Ultrascenery Botanica set, and maybe do something a bit different, so this time i did a night time render (kinda late to the halloween party but lets call it fairy tale!)

Used one of howies great new biomes and lots of fireflys from the forest fx product. 

Had lots of fun lighting it and for once ( because i used volumetrics) I put the DOF on in daz studio before i rendered. I then discovered that ds will render a depth canvas with the DOF from the daz studio camera backed in which makes an instant mask map for lots of fx like adding a bit more fog etc. 

So keep your eyes on the store for Ulltrascenery Britain - as i said.,.... very soon! 

Martin,

This is a work of art. It's beautiful.

As for US Britain, I live in the United Kingdom so I will be lying in wait as usual with a fully loaded credit card. 

Cheers,

Alex.  

This discussion has been closed.