More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

I'm so happy to see this thread going strong. I'm loving seeing the new NPR renders! Nicely done, guys! 

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited March 2022

If I can replicate this effect with different skin tones, I'm in business.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited March 2022

@vrba79 great skin tone shading you have there .

Did you`ve already check these skin texture for Toon render ? Catherine also have several textures for G8M in share CG .

I mostly stick with one set of texture map I like  and doing/shifting coloring in Post, since it easier in there without worry about lighting affecting the color tone

Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • plasma_ring said:

I've been working with the impressive Uber detail shader from Soto's Breast Utilities 2 and wanted to give it a shout out since it's been amazing for setting up skin settings for NPR postwork. It sounds like he's working on an expanded version of the shader and making that into its own product, so that's probably going to be an instabuy for me.

Thank you so much for posting your process. I can't wait to give this a try as soon as the right sale comes along.

edited March 2022

juvesatriani said:

@vrba79 great skin tone shading you have there .

Did you`ve already check these skin texture for Toon render ? Catherine also have several textures for G8M in share CG .

I mostly stick with one set of texture map I like  and doing/shifting coloring in Post, since it easier in there without worry about lighting affecting the color tone

Well the idea is to find a method that just uses the default textures that carry over when I apply the Sketchy Toon shader, and maybe tweak the diffuse color a little, and it really looks like I found it. 28 second render time, with a quick post work to make it look a bit more painterly. I'll try it with monster type skin later.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787

What postwork are you doing to make it look "painterly'?

Here's the Photoshop filters recipe for it.

vrba79 said:

I came up with it specfically for renders that already have a toon shaded look to them, so your results may vary.

Here's a before and after in one such render.

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited March 2022

vrba79 said:

vrba79 said:

I came up with it specfically for renders that already have a toon shaded look to them, so your results may vary.

I agree with @vrba79 about to make render output  which react better with Photoshop filter first, than we`re forcing Photoshop to work with our render  . Of course those mindset only work if we know from start that NPR is our end goal .  

My tips for anyone who want to get NPR styles form IRAY or standad 3Delight render, is look and grab several render style images from Store/Product promo, then run your filter stacks or action  . After you find result you like ,  try to mimic those styles in your base render 

Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • csaa said:

A work in progress ... a couple of renders I drew together to form a short sequence of hand-to-hand combat.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez: Mano a Mano | Daz assets and setup | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Looks great! Excellent use of the Black and white. 

• chicago1921chicago1921 Posts: 52
    edited March 2022

Below a new non-photorealistic render using simple Viewport renderengine.

Postwork on Photoshop CC 2018.

POSTWORK3.png
    3000 x 1688 - 6M
    Post edited by chicago1921 on
  • cathan01_wwg1wga said:

Been experimenting with Daz Studio and image editing programs to produce anime art styles after character designers and manga creators such as Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (Mobile Suit Gundam), Haruhiko Mikimoto (Super Dimension Fortress Macross), and Yoji Shinkawa (Metal Gear Solid). Used Narucoman’s free toon shader for the character skin, hair and steam bike and Daz Studio’s toon shader for his clothing. Background is Lost City for Bryce by Spacebones. Included both original render and image editor postwork versions.

Image Credits:

Daz Studio 4

Bryce 7.0 Pro

GIMP 2 (with G'Mic and PS Nik filters)

FotoSketcher 3

Genesis 2 Male (Daz3D)

Animated Shapes for Genesis 2 Male (Daz3D - no longer available)

Hiro 5 for Genesis (Daz3D)

Genesis Generation X2 (Daz3D)

Hardcore by Uzilite (Daz3D)

Complicated Eve by Uzilite (Daz3D)

Poser 4 Hair

Steam Bike Pro (Daz3D)

Morphing Ground 2 by Porsimo

Rubble by MortemVetus

The Ruins by Chris Schell for Poser by Vanishing Point (Renderosity free stuff)

Lost City by Spacebones (Renderosity Free Stuff)

ACartoonDz Shaders for Style Toon by Narucoman (Renderosity free stuff)

A really nice render, love the great pictures you made using different programs. 

juvesatriani said:

vrba79 said:

vrba79 said:

I agree with @vrba79 about to make render output  which react better with Photoshop filter first, than we`re forcing Photoshop to work with our render  . Of course those mindset only work if we know from start that NPR is our end goal .  

My tips for anyone who want to get NPR styles form IRAY or standad 3Delight render, is look and grab several render style images from Store/Product promo, then run your filter stacks or action  . After you find result you like ,  try to mimic those styles in your base render 

I also have a seperate one I use exclusively for scenery I render with Filament. That one has more moving parts.

I'm enjoying this new style a lot. It requires three render passes with my NPR shaders plus a photoshop action that I made. It's definitely not a look for a more "serious" or dark type of comic, but I do enjoy it and it makes for a fun and light-hearted comic style.

Looks great!

vrba79 said:

Looks great!

Thank you! Your Smart Sharpen effect looks promising too, I'll have to check that out and give it a try! :)

• csaacsaa Posts: 815

Gosh! There are so many updates since I last looked in here. I'm glad to see a wide variety of NPR styles. It's also heartening to see you all sharing tips and techniques. I bit too much might be overwhelming. Eager as I am to reply, I try to hang back a day or two so as to give the latest post from others a time to stand on its own.

Here are my notes to people I only see lately on this forum:

plasma_ring,  increasingly I find myself spending less time tweaking the shaders and more on post-edit brush work. Given that we're veering away from photo-realism, I assume the viewer will be more forgiving, and use their imagination to fill in the gaps. I find it helpful to have artists and genre styles as handy references. I think Julie Bell is a great artist to learn from. Me I'm trying to recreate the cel shading style I grew up enjoying in manga and anime of the late 80s and 90s, before CGI took on a big role. Because the studios couldn't leverage software tools back then, they had to strike a balance between expressiveness of the art and economy in time and labor. Hence the style then settled on minimalism. Given how busy I am with my day job, I find this a useful guide as well in the NPR I'm exploring.

chicago1921, I like that last post of yours above! It reminds me of the art from the 50s and the 60s, in Asimov magazine and such. If you haven't done so, I encourage you to share it in the Sci-Fi Celebration thread too!

3Diva,  in the same spirit of levity, below is something from the D&D game I run ... I believe you've seen it, though I haven't posted it here yet. I find short strips like this a great way to introduce characters and to further develop the story that unfolds in the RPG.

Cheers!

Asbjorn the Smuggler | Daz assets and setup | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Oh man, I used to love doing renders of my party's D&D characters back in the day.

• csaacsaa Posts: 815

vrba79 said:

Oh man, I used to love doing renders of my party's D&D characters back in the day.

vrba79

Aherm. Hint, hint: "Eager as I am to reply, I try to hang back a day or two so as to give the latest post from others a time to stand on its own."  laugh

Cheers!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

3Diva said:

I'm enjoying this new style a lot. It requires three render passes with my NPR shaders plus a photoshop action that I made. It's definitely not a look for a more "serious" or dark type of comic, but I do enjoy it and it makes for a fun and light-hearted comic style.

Great job on this artwork style. Perfect for a light hearted, visual novel  maybe with some humor. The character herself is appealing too with her carefree exuberance. Well done.

edited March 2022

Character study I did for a client ...

cop study 1 - 6 x 9 color.jpg
    1800 x 2700 - 2M
    Post edited by WillowRaven on

FirstBastion said:

3Diva said:

Great job on this artwork style. Perfect for a light hearted, visual novel  maybe with some humor. The character herself is appealing too with her carefree exuberance. Well done.

Thank you, @FirstBastion - I definitely want to use it for a story, the comics I'm working on currently have too heavy of a storyline to use this style, but I do hope I'm able to do more of a light-hearted comic with this style soon. :)

@csaa Yeah! I remember seeing those. I think they are really cool. I really like the idea of doing like mini-comics or "short strips" to introduce the characters. Excellent idea!

@WillowRaven Oh Star! I love her! That's the figure (The Original Star!) that got me to start buying 3D assets. I saw her and was like "MUST HAVE!" lol Lady Littlefox did such an amazing job on her. Are you using the Star Original Figure or Star 2.0 for Genesis 3 Female?

3Diva said:

@WillowRaven Oh Star! I love her! That's the figure (The Original Star!) that got me to start buying 3D assets. I saw her and was like "MUST HAVE!" lol Lady Littlefox did such an amazing job on her. Are you using the Star Original Figure or Star 2.0 for Genesis 3 Female?

That one is Star 2.0 for G3F :)

Also used:

Perrin Hair for G3/8F

Emeka Outfit for G3F

Then Photoshop :)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331

WillowRaven said:

Character study I did for a client ...

Looks great.

Thanks for the sharing.

• 3Diva said:

Looks really nice, pose is really good.
  • csaa said:

Gosh! There are so many updates since I last looked in here. I'm glad to see a wide variety of NPR styles. It's also heartening to see you all sharing tips and techniques. I bit too much might be overwhelming. Eager as I am to reply, I try to hang back a day or two so as to give the latest post from others a time to stand on its own.

Here are my notes to people I only see lately on this forum:

plasma_ring,  increasingly I find myself spending less time tweaking the shaders and more on post-edit brush work. Given that we're veering away from photo-realism, I assume the viewer will be more forgiving, and use their imagination to fill in the gaps. I find it helpful to have artists and genre styles as handy references. I think Julie Bell is a great artist to learn from. Me I'm trying to recreate the cel shading style I grew up enjoying in manga and anime of the late 80s and 90s, before CGI took on a big role. Because the studios couldn't leverage software tools back then, they had to strike a balance between expressiveness of the art and economy in time and labor. Hence the style then settled on minimalism. Given how busy I am with my day job, I find this a useful guide as well in the NPR I'm exploring.

chicago1921, I like that last post of yours above! It reminds me of the art from the 50s and the 60s, in Asimov magazine and such. If you haven't done so, I encourage you to share it in the Sci-Fi Celebration thread too!

3Diva,  in the same spirit of levity, below is something from the D&D game I run ... I believe you've seen it, though I haven't posted it here yet. I find short strips like this a great way to introduce characters and to further develop the story that unfolds in the RPG.

Cheers!

Asbjorn the Smuggler | Daz assets and setup | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

It's an amazing way to mixe DAZ-Blender and Clip studio to finish the job, really great!
    edited March 2022

I wanted to try my hand at something out of my comfort zone, and see if I could make a horror-type image with my shaders. 

It's definitely not something I normally do, but it was interesting to try something totally different than my usual type of renders.

ELR NPR - Abandoned Ward G.jpg
    1102 x 976 - 479K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited March 2022

Here's an experiment with some different postwork effects. The first is the original render, the second is the postwork version.

ELR NPR - Shader B 4 Iray Flanged Mace L Ghost Light Camera (1000 x 1300) 2.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    ELR NPR - G3F Green Fae - w Post 3.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 768K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

All good stuffs displayed.

@Diva that horror one is onto something. I really think that deserves some more exploration.

And when are we getting another character product?